Conner 8 Ryle 4

Gill,Pugh,Brake all go long for Conner. Will Shuttleworth pitched 5 innings of 1 run baseball. Ryle made it interesting scoring 3 runs in the 6th off Josh Atonavich but Hoskins came in and closed out the remaining 1 and 1/3 innings.

If preseason predictions by some of the posters on this site were to be believed (D-1 prospects throughout the lineup), then certainly Ryle has underachieved. Others might suggest, on the whole, they were overated to begin with and are playing as one might expect from a reasonably talented bunch who were not given the opportunity to gain significant experience over the last couple of years, even in blow out or "sure thing" games, as last year's excellant senior class played nearly every inning. On the other hand, perhaps Connor is playing back to the form they showed during their early season run. Tourney time is fast approaching and that will write, without any of my thoughts, the ending chapter.

Conner has indeed hit the ball well of late as they were up 8-0 in the 5th in this one. However these games mean almost nothing if they can't perform come tourney time, and that goes for all teams.

If preseason predictions by some of the posters on this site were to be believed (D-1 prospects throughout the lineup), then certainly Ryle has underachieved. Others might suggest, on the whole, they were overated to begin with and are playing as one might expect from a reasonably talented bunch who were not given the opportunity to gain significant experience over the last couple of years, even in blow out or "sure thing" games, as last year's excellant senior class played nearly every inning. On the other hand, perhaps Connor is playing back to the form they showed during their early season run. Tourney time is fast approaching and that will write, without any of my thoughts, the ending chapter.

D1 prospects is wishful thinking by some of the faithful. No I don't think that's it.

And I would also disagree that players are underachieving because of lack of experience in "blow out" games. Don't these players have an opportunity to play 50-60 games in top level summer programs? And haven't they played a number of games this year now that it's their turn?

I don't have a son on the team. Mine could play there in the near future so I do have a vested interest in the program. It appears to me that some of them have little passion for the game. It is a quiet team. You don't see a lot of players encouraging their teammates. I know I saw a lot of that on last year's team.

Perhaps only teams with winning records encourage each other. Or maybe these guys didn't get "blow out" innings last year because of their lack of energy. It appears to me that many different players have been given opportunities at different positions. I think it's great that some underclassmen are now being given the lion's share of the playing time. They appear to be serious ballplayers. The team has improved in my opinion with those guys in the lineup. Just my opinion....

Magical things can happen in HS baseball. The season isn't over. Maybe the Ryle team can put together a post season run.

By the way, the Conner team looked very impressive yesterday. They can really hit. I'd say they are the best hitting team in NKY. They are a contender. Congrats to the Cougars.

D1 prospects is wishful thinking by some of the faithful. No I don't think that's it.

And I would also disagree that players are underachieving because of lack of experience in "blow out" games. Don't these players have an opportunity to play 50-60 games in top level summer programs? And haven't they played a number of games this year now that it's their turn?

I don't have a son on the team. Mine could play there in the near future so I do have a vested interest in the program. It appears to me that some of them have little passion for the game. It is a quiet team. You don't see a lot of players encouraging their teammates. I know I saw a lot of that on last year's team.

Perhaps only teams with winning records encourage each other. Or maybe these guys didn't get "blow out" innings last year because of their lack of energy. It appears to me that many different players have been given opportunities at different positions. I think it's great that some underclassmen are now being given the lion's share of the playing time. They appear to be serious ballplayers. The team has improved in my opinion with those guys in the lineup. Just my opinion....

Magical things can happen in HS baseball. The season isn't over. Maybe the Ryle team can put together a post season run.

By the way, the Conner team looked very impressive yesterday. They can really hit. I'd say they are the best hitting team in NKY. They are a contender. Congrats to the Cougars.

I don't know that I'd agree with this statement. There is a huge difference between a "lack of passion" for the game and boys being disappointed in their individual and team performance. Yes, they are down and a bit discouraged right now, but that is probably not too entirely unusual for a team/program that is used to winning and is not. Not saying that is right for it to be this way, just that's it's not something specific to Ryle players. I agree with the rest of your post (especially the part about a possible post-season run by Ryle.;))

I don't know that I'd agree with this statement. There is a huge difference between a "lack of passion" for the game and boys being disappointed in their individual and team performance. Yes, they are down and a bit discouraged right now, but that is probably not too entirely unusual for a team/program that is used to winning and is not. Not saying that is right for it to be this way, just that's it's not something specific to Ryle players. I agree with the rest of your post (especially the part about a possible post-season run by Ryle.;))

Thanks. Valid point.:thumb:

Gloveman has a valid point. The mild mannered Coach Nally never gets upset.

But with 2 on and 2 out and a flyball hit to right field, it sure upset him to see the baserunners trotting around the bases.

As a player, you're allowed to be disappointed or down, but how about a little hustle during the play, you can show you're disappointment later.

Apparently, judging by Coach Nally's reaction, this is the lesson that has been preached at Ryle forever. Seems to be falling on deaf ears this year.

And Cooperstown is right, this is not a problem at Ryle alone.

I think Ryle has definetly underahieved this year, but I don't think it is due to lack of talent, albeit not D1. It is a mental thing at this point and has been all year. The hardest thing to deal with in baseball is the mental side of the game and Ryle has struggled with this all Spring due to IMO multiple issues.

I think Ryle has definetly underahieved this year, but I don't think it is due to lack of talent, albeit not D1. It is a mental thing at this point and has been all year. The hardest thing to deal with in baseball is the mental side of the game and Ryle has struggled with this all Spring due to IMO multiple issues.

I agree. And after hearing what a few Raider parents had to say, it seems like it is all about me and my stats in Union and not about the team.