Time For A Change In Raceland?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bobbyearl, The Kid that was pitching from BOYD COUNTY was the one who said the WRONG TEAM WON TODAY!!!!!!!!

The kid in guestion has spent many a night at my house, he is one of the most modest kids you will ever talk to. He will almost always tell you what you want to hear, when asked by Raceland fans that he has known and even been coached by in his youth where that pitch was I wouldnt expect him to say anything other than what he said, he was lucky it could have been a strike. Bottom line is both teams had countless oppertunites to put the game away and did not do so, when your season is at stake you dont leave it in an umpires hands to give you a pitch on a corner. BC has been on the other side of that call many times so I feel your pain.

I've only heard one complaint about the coaches, and I don't thank that person is very close to the situation, because the coaches are loved by a very large majority. This is one of the few times that I have heard somone complain about the coaches at Raceland. Makes you wonder.

:thumb: I agree but when you get to think about it Ram, it really doesn't make me wonder at all, I am quite sure about it. I think that it just may put it plain and clear to a lot of other people as well .......:sssh: ;)

I had a discussion with OldRamber on another thread about the issue of AABC. I stated that the sophmores that are playing Varsity now didnt have a Babe Ruth to go to. The kids before those guys in classes like the 2000-2007 class played both Babe Ruth and JV sometimes Babe Ruth and Varsity.

Baseball starts in tee ball and goes in stages all the way up so that the basics can be included by the time you get to JV. It is hoped that you are playing on a JV or Varsity level by then.

I am assuming that the young players in 7th, 8th and 9th grade do not have a Babe Ruth to go to so they are playing JV. Some stated that had not played since 7 and 8's and 9 and 10's. Can we really judge our coaches when the basics should be taught there in little league.

We have a serious problem folks but its not the coaches its our little league. The coaches and volunteers just are not there. No one has the time anymore to volunteer to help these kids. The young men and women that are completing college do your community a favor volunteer to help these kids at the little league level. There is no better reward then to help a child.

Believe me us older folks practiced what we preached and volunteered. You will reap the benefits[/b].

:thumb: Good post oldram and thank you. I know that I cetainly enjoyed my time long ago in coaching youth baseball (on all levels) at Raceland. I am certainly not close to it now and do not know who is still coaching or not coaching. I do have an opinion on when the downfall of our youth leagues started and imo that was when one or two people got in it for their own "glory" so to speak or to only promote one or two kids and were not in it for the overall picture, just for a select couple of kids. That imo turned a lot of kids off and they lost interest, that kind of thing steamrolls and it is hard to get a kid back from that. That is jmo and I realize that others have theirs as well.

Not talking about Hoof, more of his JV staff.

Really? Your original post said this............."Perhaps it is time for new coachs and a new direction in all levels of Raceland Baseball!"

That sure sounds like it includes Coach Vanderhoof to me.

Really my complaints were aimed at The Head JV. Coach, sorry to be so ambigous. I attended my 4th game today, and I saw more of the same. This Seargent guy may be the nicest most caring guy in the world. I applaud him for coming out for this position. But after speaking with several parents this evening, my opinion seems to be shared among most of the parents. This man does not know how to COACH baseball. He may know alot about the game, but knowing and coaching are two different things.

Really my complaints were aimed at The Head JV. Coach, sorry to be so ambigous. I attended my 4th game today, and I saw more of the same. This Seargent guy may be the nicest most caring guy in the world. I applaud him for coming out for this position. But after speaking with several parents this evening, my opinion seems to be shared among most of the parents. This man does not know how to COACH baseball. He may know alot about the game, but knowing and coaching are two different things.

You know I have been reading your posts and I know you do not know any thing about baseball and I not trying to be mean or anything let the coaches take care of there team. Ever one can coach in the stands.

Sounds like a person I would like to have had coached my kids in JV to me.

I really like to hear the comments of bleacher coaches that dont have a clue.

I will take up for Mike Sargent all day. Mike is a great person who would literally give you the shirt off of his back, and I assure you that Mike has forgotten more about coaching then most on this site will ever know. Mike has been coaching baseball, basketball, and football for well over 20 years, and has won many more games then he has lost.

If you want a caring, compassionate, knowledgeable, giving, supportive, friendly person to coach your family member, then Mike is your man. If you don't want any of these things then you may want to keep looking.

I will get kicked off of here everyday and twice on Sunday, before I will let the bashing of a person like Mike Sargent go unanswered.

I will take up for Mike Sargent all day. Mike is a great person who would literally give you the shirt off of his back, and I assure you that Mike has forgotten more about coaching then most on this site will ever know. Mike has been coaching baseball, basketball, and football for well over 20 years, and has won many more games then he has lost.

If you want a caring, compassionate, knowledgeable, giving, supportive, friendly person to coach your family member, then Mike is your man. If you don't want any of these things then you may want to keep looking.

I will get kicked off of here everyday and twice on Sunday, before I will let the bashing of a person like Mike Sargent go unanswered.

:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Now if only he could show it...

I totally agree! I've known Mike for many years. When he coaches, the kids not only learn the sport but many, many life lessons also. He teaches and coaches with nothing but optimism, kindness and patience. My son played basketball for him. Mike's coaching became a family activity for him. You would always see his wife, his kids and even some cousins and in-laws there supporting Mike's teams.

The games that I've been to,Sargent was very upbeat with the kids. You can listen to him from the dugout and tell that he knows what he is talking about. I dont know him personally, but seems to have a very good knowledge of the game. Definately an asset to the team.

Back in town from college, I decided to go watch my little brother play his JV baseball game at Greenup yesterday, he plays for Raceland. From what I understand the Raceland J.V coach is new this year.

What I saw yesterday was absolutley horrible! It seems no one has taken the interest to try to teach these kids the fundamentals of the game. Mind you that Greenup is a good team, but there is still no excuse for some of the things I saw.

1.Lack of Baserunning Sense

2. No one charges the ball on an infield dribbler.

3.Improper Fielding Techniques

And from what I hear, the Varsity is hitting the wall too this year. Perhaps it is time for new coachs and a new direction in all levels of Raceland Baseball!

I'm not sure where Raceland is...I have no dog in this fight....but the 3 "coach" criticisms you lay out don't sound like coaching problems. They sound like talent problems.

1. "Baserunning sense"---how do you coach that? Some kids are born smart on the bases, others aren't. I've told kids right before the ball is pitched to freeze on line drives and then watched them put their heads down and take off only to get doubled up.

2. Not charging a slow roller--Every high school baseball player in America has been drilled since he was 5 years old to charge ground balls.

3. Improper fielding technique-- sorta of vague...but... kids should know how to field ground balls before they get to high school. If they don't know how by 9th grade it means they've developed years of bad habits that may never be broken. Kids should have the fundamentals down long before high school. If they don't, it's a talent problem, not high school coaching problem.