Another PC story for HHSDad: Davis apologizes for remarks about Obama.

http://www.kentucky.com/254/story/376577.html

U.S. Rep. Geoff Davis apologized Monday for calling presidential contender and U.S. Sen. Barack Obama "boy" during a dinner over the weekend, an attempt to tamp down a controversy that quickly blossomed over the blogosphere.

"My poor choice of words is regrettable and was in no way meant to impugn you or your integrity. I offer my sincere apology to you and ask for your forgiveness," Davis wrote in a letter that staffers said was hand-delivered to Obama's U.S. Senate office.

Davis, a Republican representing Northern Kentucky, continued: "Though we may disagree on many issues, I know that we share the goal of a prosperous, secure future for our nation. My comment has detracted from the dialogue that we should all be having on legitimate policy differences and in no way reflects the personal and professional respect I have for you."

The word "boy" is considered extremely offensive by many African-Americans, as it was used by Southern whites in the era of Jim Crow to assert racial superiority.

The offending comment was first reported on the Herald-Leader's political blog, Pol Watchers. But it quickly spread statewide, then nationally to such Web sites as that of The New York Times.

An extremely stupid choice of words for a Republican politician to make. Davis is fortunate that Obama and his pastor have made equally stupid remarks, so he will most likely not have to go into rehab or be a guest on Al Sharpton's radio show to make amends.

I don't know his intentions, though I assume them to be non-offensive. To me, this falls in the same category as Obama's "typical" and "guns/religion" comments. I guess for some it just depends on what side of the polical line you stand as to whether it is an issue.

I couldn't disagree more. Davis' remarks are an issue because they could be misunderstood. Obama's remarks are a problem because they were understood!

Perspective....

Then answer these questions from your perspective:

1. Did Davis intend "boy" to be a bigoted term?

2. Did Obama intend to say that people in small towns were bitter?

3. Did Obama intend to say that bitter people in small towns cling to guns and religion?

Then answer these questions from your perspective:

1. Did Davis intend "boy" to be a bigoted term?

2. Did Obama intend to say that people in small towns were bitter?

3. Did Obama intend to say that bitter people in small towns cling to guns and religion?

:thumb:

I use the boy term all the time. I would see someone like Sam Adams or a David Pollock and say that is a big boy. David would think nothing of it but Sam Adams might.

I will tell my students, "boy, settle down" when they are fired up about something. There is ZERO offensiveness to the way I use it.

BUT, I use it so much, I could see me in a situation where an African-American would be present, me use it, and them assume it is deragatory.

As a typical religious white person who is a native of a small rural town and clings to his Second Amendment Rights, who also believes that our borders should be secured, I find Obama's statements much more revealing than Davis' unfortunate choice of words. But my opinion may just be my bitterness and emotion talking.