Best High School Baseball Team in Kentucky History

ukfan14

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Best team" is tough to pick. So many good ones through the years. The PRP teams from '93 to '96 were as good as they got . They were just a victory away ('93 state final loss to Harrison Co.) from winning 4 state titles in a row. Scott Downs (Blue Jays) was almost unhittable in '93 and '94.

"Best team" is tough to pick. So many good ones through the years. The PRP teams from '93 to '96 were as good as they got . They were just a victory away ('93 state final loss to Harrison Co.) from winning 4 state titles in a row. Scott Downs (Blue Jays) was almost unhittable in '93 and '94.

I know one of those Titles should not have been if not for some late inning heroics against Harrison County to rally from a 5-3 deficit with 2 outs and no one on base in the bottom of the 7th. If memory serves me right, that is the only time in 10+ meetings that PRP has beaten Harrison County. You're right from 93-98, Harrison County and PRP dominated the state and both have continued to be perennial powerhouses since. Coach Whitaker and Coach Miller have both done an exellent job.

I know one of those Titles should not have been if not for some late inning heroics against Harrison County to rally from a 5-3 deficit with 2 outs and no one on base in the bottom of the 7th. If memory serves me right, that is the only time in 10+ meetings that PRP has beaten Harrison County. You're right from 93-98, Harrison County and PRP dominated the state and both have continued to be perennial powerhouses since. Coach Whitaker and Coach Miller have both done an exellent job.

You are correct, PRP and Harrison Co. owned the 90's. With Harrison winning it in '93, '97, and '98. PRP in '94, '95, and '96. And not to mention the '92 team at Harrison had two Mr. Baseball winners on the same team! (Shon Walker '92, Dion Newby '93). I wouldn't have minded to be Mac Whitaker that's for sure.

The 2006 Lexington Catholic team was very talented and won the state championship and was ranked #4 in the nation. The 7 or 8 juniors on that team were even more talented in 2007 but the team definetly under achieved and were possibly one of the most talented teams in Ky history although they underachieved.

I also know Harrison Co has had many very talented teams in the last 20 or so years.

Lafayette had some real good teams back in the late '80's and early '90's. If you want to talk dominating pitchers start with Jed Durough of Lafayetter. He basically won the state championship for Lafayette in '88 and '89. Pitched all but two games both years. I believe their coach, Don Chandler who works for the Yankees now, using him so much is the reason we have the state pitching limits now. This was a few years before Austin Kearns came through there but they were just as dominating. Anyone remember these teams and Durough?

Jed Durough was a stud in high school. Those Lafayette teams were very tough--I played baseball at Campbellsville College with one of their players--Mickey Marshall, coach of last season's State Champion Dunbar team.