Are the winds changing?

The Republicans have been smarter...or, to be PC, they've been more politically savvy.

People can complain about the gay marriage issue in '04, but that was a genius move by the Republicans to help mobilize a voting bloc. The Democrats have seemingly played right along to a large degree...

I agree with lbbc, with the exception of 2000...I don't think that year was set up perfectly for a Democratic win, and as it turned out, it was a very close election. However, their choice of candidate and overall lack of strategy and direction doomed them in 2004. Are they going to do it again?

But, in fairness, the dynamic is different this year. My personal opinion is that John McCain may be the only candidate the Republicans could have nominated who could win the general election. If they were running W, or someone along that line, in November, I think they'd have a very difficult time winning. As it is, I think McCain stands a pretty good chance.

With the success of 8 years of Clinton economically, why should the Dems NOT have won?

Except, that the voters were beginning to see that the Dems national party platform did not represent what they held dear.

My point being that the Dems should have been able to take the 2000 election based upon what had happened the previous 8 unless the voters saw the Dems no longer representing what they held dear.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the success of 8 years of Clinton economically, why should the Dems NOT have won?

Except, that the voters were beginning to see that the Dems national party platform did not represent what they held dear.

My point being that the Dems should have been able to take the 2000 election based upon what had happened the previous 8 unless the voters saw the Dems no longer representing what they held dear.

There were a lot of people who did not like Clinton...so while some point to the glorious 8 years while he was president, there are others who didn't like him.

Perhaps things were in their favor. I won't argue that...I just don't see it as a slam dunk like 2004 and 2008 should have been.

In 2000, 2004 and 2008, the environment was primed for a Democrat win. And yet, they put forth candidates that did not match the mindset of the voters and lost two elections they had no business losing.

They look poised to do it a 3rd time.

At some point, the Dems have to realize that many planks in their party platform is keeping them from winning elections at the Presidential level.

They have quit representing the everyday, normal person and instead of tried to become a party of supposed "tolerance" of representing every special interest group, that they represent no one.

There were a lot of people who did not like Clinton...so while some point to the glorious 8 years while he was president, there are others who didn't like him.

Perhaps things were in their favor. I won't argue that...I just don't see it as a slam dunk like 2004 and 2008 should have been.

My original post simply said that 2000 was primed for a Dem win and they lost it. I would agree that 2004 and 2008 were/should be even easier wins for the Dems, but I still think going into the 2000 election, the Dems should have been primed for a victory.

They have lost them by putting forth horrible candidates in 2000 and 2004 combined with losing their representation of the concerns of the common man for the representation of special interests groups.

My original post simply said that 2000 was primed for a Dem win and they lost it. I would agree that 2004 and 2008 were/should be even easier wins for the Dems, but I still think going into the 2000 election, the Dems should have been primed for a victory.

They have lost them by putting forth horrible candidates in 2000 and 2004 combined with losing their representation of the concerns of the common man for the representation of special interests groups.

I think it's more of an issue of candidates. Gore lacked charisma and appeal and Kerry managed to everything but issue a definitive statement.

I think it's more of an issue of candidates. Gore lacked charisma and appeal and Kerry managed to everything but issue a definitive statement.

Then explain the way this year is going? Surely, you are not going to say that McCain is more charimatic than either Hillary or Obama.

Then explain the way this year is going? Surely, you are not going to say that McCain is more charimatic than either Hillary or Obama.

For one, the charisma applied to Gore. Kerry was an adequate enough politician who ran a dumb campaign. It's too early to tell, but Obama and Clinton both have a significant lack of experience, especially vis-a-vis McCain. And, as this primary keeps dragging, they keep issuing more attacks, policy plans, and promises that only appeal to Democrats.

For one, the charisma applied to Gore. Kerry was an adequate enough politician who ran a dumb campaign. It's too early to tell, but Obama and Clinton both have a significant lack of experience, especially vis-a-vis McCain. And, as this primary keeps dragging, they keep issuing more attacks, policy plans, and promises that only appeal to Democrats.

My contention is not that they appeal to Democrats but rather special interest voting blocs of Democrats while not the moderate to conservative Democrats. And thus, those moderate and conservative Democrat voters slide over to the Republican side while the Dems continue to try and appeal more and more to the liberal side ignoring the moderates and conservatives.

The Dems need to see this or they will continue to lose Presidential elections that they shouldn't be losing.

• 3 weeks later...

Democratic Presidential Nomination
Democratic Delegate Count

Poll Date Sample Obama Clinton Spread
RCP Average 03/28 to 04/10 - 48.0 42.0 Obama +6.0
Gallup Tracking 04/08 - 04/10 1210 V 51 42 Obama +9.0
Rasmussen Tracking 04/07 - 04/10 900 LV 47 44 Obama +3.0
AP-Ipsos 04/07 - 04/09 489 LV 46 43 Obama +3.0
CBS News/NY Times 03/28 - 04/02 510 LV 46 43 Obama +3.0
Hotline/FD 03/28 - 03/31 342 LV 50 38 Obama +12.0
See More Democratic Presidential Nomination Polls | Chart

John McCain (R) vs. Barack Obama (D)
Poll Date Sample McCain (R) Obama (D) Spread
RCP Average 03/28 to 04/10 - 44.6% 45.2% Obama +0.6%
Rasmussen Tracking 04/07 - 04/10 1700 LV 47% 44% McCain +3%
Gallup Tracking 04/07 - 04/10 4379 RV 43% 46% Obama +3%
AP-Ipsos 04/07 - 04/09 749 RV 45% 45% Tie
CBS News/NY Times 03/28 - 04/02 1196 RV 42% 47% Obama +5%
Hotline/FD 03/28 - 03/31 799 RV 46% 44% McCain +2%
See More General Election: McCain vs. Obama Polls | Chart

John McCain (R) vs. Hillary Clinton (D)
Poll Date Sample McCain (R) Clinton (D) Spread
RCP Average 03/28 to 04/10 - 46.2% 45.0% McCain +1.2%
Rasmussen Tracking 04/07 - 04/10 1700 LV 48% 42% McCain +6%
Gallup Tracking 04/07 - 04/10 4379 RV 45% 46% Clinton +1%
AP-Ipsos 04/07 - 04/09 749 RV 45% 48% Clinton +3%
CBS News/NY Times 03/28 - 04/02 1196 RV 43% 48% Clinton +5%
Hotline/FD 03/28 - 03/31 799 RV 50% 41% McCain +9%
See More General Election: McCain vs. Clinton Polls | Chart

In 2000, 2004 and 2008, the environment was primed for a Democrat win. And yet, they put forth candidates that did not match the mindset of the voters and lost two elections they had no business losing.

They look poised to do it a 3rd time.

At some point, the Dems have to realize that many planks in their party platform is keeping them from winning elections at the Presidential level.

They have quit representing the everyday, normal person and instead of tried to become a party of supposed "tolerance" of representing every special interest group, that they represent no one.

THis is one of the main reasons I haven't supported a Dem in a National election in over 16 years

Obama is about to take another hit in the polls. His chances of pulling off an upset in Pennsylvania just disappeared.

These qualities of hospitality, patriotism and endurance are exactly what Californians need to hear about Pennsylvanians. And when
he spoke to a group of his wealthier Golden State backers at a San Francisco fund-raiser last Sunday
, Barack Obama took a shot at explaining the yawning cultural gap that separates a Turkeyfoot from a Marin County. "You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them," Obama said. "And they fell through the Clinton Administration, and the Bush Administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. And it's not surprising then
they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.
" -
Obama: No Surprise That Hard-Pressed Pennsylvanians Turn Bitter

I think he made an excellent point. When people lose their jobs, and lose their hope it's easy for them to get focused on things. Republicans have made issues out of religion, guns and the like. It's a good way to distract people from issues. It's easy to get bitter and blame illegals, or to get overly focused on non-issues like guns.

I think he made an excellent point. When people lose their jobs, and lose their hope it's easy for them to get focused on things. Republicans have made issues out of religion, guns and the like. It's a good way to distract people from issues. It's easy to get bitter and blame illegals, or to get overly focused on non-issues like guns.
Sure, painting small town residents of Pennsylvania and the Midwest as bitter Bible-thumping, gun toting, bigoted xenophobes will help Obama carry San Francisco but do you think that it will help him in Pennsylvania and Indiana? :lol:

If Obama was not running against an extremely polarizing and ridiculously dishonest opponent, he would be in serious trouble. This kind of condescension will hurt Obama in the general election.

Obama is about to take another hit in the polls. His chances of pulling off an upset in Pennsylvania just disappeared.

These qualities of hospitality, patriotism and endurance are exactly what Californians need to hear about Pennsylvanians. And when
he spoke to a group of his wealthier Golden State backers at a San Francisco fund-raiser last Sunday
, Barack Obama took a shot at explaining the yawning cultural gap that separates a Turkeyfoot from a Marin County. "You go into some of these small towns in Pennsylvania, and like a lot of small towns in the Midwest, the jobs have been gone now for 25 years and nothing's replaced them," Obama said. "And they fell through the Clinton Administration, and the Bush Administration, and each successive administration has said that somehow these communities are gonna regenerate and they have not. And it's not surprising then
they get bitter, they cling to guns or religion or antipathy to people who aren't like them or anti-immigrant sentiment or anti-trade sentiment as a way to explain their frustrations.
" -
Obama: No Surprise That Hard-Pressed Pennsylvanians Turn Bitter

Just looking at the title of your post - I must have missed that in the article.

Just looking at the title of your post - I must have missed that in the article.
The title of my post was not the title of the article - it was my impression of wealthy Marin County Democrats to whom Senator Obama delivered his disparaging comments about small town America. My guess more Americans would agree with my characterization of wealthy San Franciscan liberals than would agree with Senator Obama's characterization of the residents of small towns in Pennsylvania and the Midwest.