Teams/Coaches Running The Spread Offense

FanOfHoltz

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Central ran his defense. I am not 100% sure on this but I would think that in 6A now people are faliing Trinity's blueprint in attacking it. The problem is not in the defense itself but in its adjustments.

With Redman's "roll the bones" defense, you can not play man to man against an offense like ours. Males' defense is not designed well to stop our offense. They have had some seriously talented teams the last three times we've played them and we put up 45, 59, and 38 points. All the while Male was ranked #1, #2, and #1 respectively.

With Redman's "roll the bones" defense, you can not play man to man against an offense like ours. Males' defense is not designed well to stop our offense. They have had some seriously talented teams the last three times we've played them and we put up 45, 59, and 38 points. All the while Male was ranked #1, #2, and #1 respectively.

This is all because of 2000. Coverdale himself talks about in is preseason planning DVD. The 2000 Trinity team did not have built into the offense ways to deal with the Male defense. It has never been an issue since because Coverdale promised to himself it would never happen.

"Roll the bones" is a call in the defense. Where his defense starts having issues is that they follow the man and do not bounce. Somethng that is common now in Trinity's offense is to bring an outside rec down to the edge of the line or into the backfield for protection. So the CB for Male would fallow him and now you have one of your better rec matched up with LBers. Teams I believe now duplicate the Trinity appraoch to attack the defense. The defensive structure is not that different then a number of very popular and effective schemes. The difference is Radman has not changed his defense's assignments or structure to adapt what is giving him problems much.

Trimble County starting runnning the spread half way through the season when All-state RB David Bird got hurt. They had alot of success with it.

Poynter plans on running it next year with Larry Sullivan at QB, look for Sullivan to put up big numbers both running and throwing.

Breathitt runs the spread offense. Coach Holcomb and his offense has ran this kinda offense fow awhile now.

Coach Holcomb was ahead of the curve in my opinion. He was running the spread before it was vogue and I think that is why they won their state championships. He's done an amazing job at Breathitt along with Coach Chapman!

"Roll the bones" is a call in the defense. Where his defense starts having issues is that they follow the man and do not bounce. Somethng that is common now in Trinity's offense is to bring an outside rec down to the edge of the line or into the backfield for protection. So the CB for Male would fallow him and now you have one of your better rec matched up with LBers. Teams I believe now duplicate the Trinity appraoch to attack the defense. The defensive structure is not that different then a number of very popular and effective schemes. The difference is Radman has not changed his defense's assignments or structure to adapt what is giving him problems much.

I talked to my brother about this whole Male defense thing and since he coached Iroquois' offense in 06 and had to play Male, I asked him what he did since, despite the 80-6 score, they did have over 250 yards of offense, including 170 in the air. One advantage he had was he coached at Male for a couple of years with Redman and knew the defense's weakness. The other is that our father still coaches at Male. From his conversations with our dad, he learned that every team up to that point had put 8-9 men on the LOS to help with blocking. My brother believed this was a mistake because all that does is bring Male's speed that much closer to the ball. So Iroquois was the 1st team Male faced that year that Spread the defense out the entire field, allowing Male to only rush 4-5 guys. 2nd. Passes had to be quick, 2-3 second reads where he practiced throwing to a spot and the receiver would run under it. Since there is no safety help and the DBs line up inside, they struggle to react when the ball is thrown on the outside shoulder towards the sideline. 3rd, have success with this, force Male to drop 2 safeties, the QB draw opens up.

Despite the lopsided score, my brother was very pleased with the offense. They had a lot of success on offense, and the QB draw scored a TD. They actually had a 2nd TD pass called back due to too many men on the field. My dad told us at breakfast the next day that Redman came into the office after the game and told all the coaches "Fellas, if Iroquois had any talent they could have kicked our a** tonight. We dont do well against the spread". Sad thing is, Redman knew then that a spread offense would cause him problems but has never done anything to counter it.

The point is, it doesnt really take a genius to figure out that Male's defense was designed primarily to stop the running game which is what most teams ran in the 90's. But now that so many teams are going to a pass oriented attack, Male is playing catch-up, especially against spread teams. But I dont think you will see Redman change anything. He is too close to retirement to make a change now and too much into controlling things to trust someone to come in and change his defense and run it themselves. Otherwise, who knows how dominant they could be.

This is all because of Greg and Tim Couch and thier coach Mike Whitaker. Then Mike Holcomb and Bob Redman.

Not sure what you are refering to. My reference to the year 2000 was to the Trinity vs Male state championship game. I am not going to retype everything but in a nut shell after a Trinity loss in 2000 to Male Coverdale (Trinity's OC) made sure Trinity had ways built into their offense to attack Male.

It appears you are referencing the rise of the spread offense in KY. That all seem to come about in KY around 1990 and just grew from there. It appears a group of teams went in that direction in roughly the same time.

Male defense: We use the Male defense. We learned it from Redman about 2 years ago. I alos played against it in HS and my coaches then had a history of facing it (Wagner 53 was its first name). the defense is much older than the 90s. He created it as a way to play against Trinity. The short throws up toard the outside so guys can run underneath of it is nothing new. Everyone knows the DBs will give up the deep outside throw because they do not allow WR to cross their face. Unlike Male we bump and run which helps solve some of the issues. We also have taken things from Higgens that runs the same defense but has added some tweaks to it during his time at Trigg. Part of this si due from facing teams like Christian County and Owenborro Catholic that do spread and throw.

Watch how Trinity deals with Male. They will both compress down and spread out. They use formations and motions to cause a large amount of headaches. They will motion #1 down inside making him the #3 WR and keep him into block. He uses the rules of the defense against the defense.