October 15, 200718 yr :thumb: I agree Mitts and I hope that we are both wrong on our feelings on this (I take it that you don't like it either). As for me ......I was hoping that it was just speculation and I "just threw up in my mouth". I would love to be proven wrong and have a serving of crow on this but jmo this is a bad hire. You're agreeing with a statement that I easily proved wrong.
October 15, 200718 yr Probably disastrous for youngsters for the Reds. Which is mind boggling, unless the Reds go on a spending spree. http://www.cubscast.com/blog/2006/07/07/dusty-baker-and-his-coaching-staff-dont-want-to-get-young-players/
October 15, 200718 yr The one potential positive is that Dusty brings about an attitude with this team. Previous managers, all fine gentlemen, had this team have a choir boy attitude on the field. I want some nastiness - some attitude. Break out the toothpicks and wristbands. Seriously, you may be right...but we already had the "baseball guy".
October 15, 200718 yr Even while they were within a few outs of the World Series, Dusty Baker's use of Kerry Wood and Mark Prior in 2003 set the Cubs franchise back several years. One of the contributors to Baseball Prospectus has designed a system that, based on usage and pitch counts, shows which pitchers are currently the most susceptible to future arm problems because overuse. During the 2003 season, BP updated the list daily on their website. Throughout the season, Prior and Wood were in the top five in "Pitcher Abuse Points" ... not surprisingly, both developed major arm problems within a year. Wood certainly had health issues prior to Baker taking over, but that's what makes Dusty's overuse of him that much more egregious. Baker inherited a team with three potential franchise pitchers in the starting rotation ... Prior, Wood and Carlos Zambrano. Three of the pitchers in the Cubs' rotation that season (Prior, Wood and Matt Clement) have since suffered from big-time arm problems that required surgery and cost them at least one entire season.
October 15, 200718 yr Again....Wood was already fried. Schmidt???? Dusty managed SF until 2002. Since then Schmidt has the following record. 2003- 17-5 2004- 18-7 2005- 12-7 2006- 11-9 2007- 1-4 Schmidt has 59 wins since Dusty was his manager, averaged 15 a year for the first four years after Dusty left, still think he ruined him? This notion that he ruins young pitchers, again, b/c of one guy. Is ridiculous. :thumb: I agree with your notion. I can live with this hire.
October 15, 200718 yr You're agreeing with a statement that I easily proved wrong. As I stated in another thread. There's no way that a big time #1 starter is going to sign with the Reds if they have a no name manager. Ask yourself this, do they sign with Dusty Baker as manager? No freaking way... On a side note, wonder if Hookie will get an interview for some type of role in the organization... Oh, and Dusty's pitching staff is annually among the top in total pitch counts...
October 15, 200718 yr Oh, and Dusty's pitching staff is annually among the top in total pitch counts... Looking at the Reds bullpen, that may be a good thing.
October 15, 200718 yr $3.5 mil... :creepy::creepy: People are telling me that no one with experience and looking for a job would've accepted $3.5 mil to manage the Reds? Bull...
October 15, 200718 yr After reading this article it looks like they players will be happy. From reading Arroyo's comments I would say that Bob C. and Krivsky talked with the players about who they might want as their manager. I'm slowly starting to feel better and better about the hire. http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20071014&content_id=2265626&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin
October 15, 200718 yr I hope you guys are as wrong about this as I was with Brooks and UK.:thumb:You know, that's an interesting point. I remember a lot of people (me included) who didn't think Rich Brooks was the right hire at UK, wasn't a winner, couldn't relate to the young kids, etc. He has proven many wrong. Could be an interesting parallel.
October 15, 200718 yr Dusty and Marty over the next three years should be interesting... DENVER -- Dusty Baker will be introduced as Cincinnati's manager at a news conference Monday. Sooner or later, he'll run into Reds announcer Marty Brennaman, the most powerful baseball man in Cincinnati, the same man who criticized Baker for his perceived lack of control of the Cubs' clubhouse during their 2004 slide. Brennaman told the Cincinnati Enquirer that he won't back off his style of asking blunt questions. "Most pregame shows tell you nothing because the questions are softballs," Brennaman told the Enquirer. "If he does something that backfires the night before, I'm going to ask him about it. I've done that with all the mangers. "If he bristles at that, then somebody else is going to be doing the show." LINK
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.