Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Dusty Baker new Reds manager

Featured Replies

The last time the Reds hired a manager with no ties to the organization was 1990, when Lou Piniella took over and led the team to a World Series championship. Every manager since has either come from the minors, the coaching staff or from a scouting/advisory role. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3063503

 

Where does Davey Johnson fit in this picture? He was an outside hire right?

  • Replies 180
  • Views 18.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The last time the Reds hired a manager with no ties to the organization was 1990, when Lou Piniella took over and led the team to a World Series championship. Every manager since has either come from the minors, the coaching staff or from a scouting/advisory role. http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3063503

 

Where does Davey Johnson fit in this picture? He was an outside hire right?

 

 

No. He was already working for Bowden in some capacity.

No. He was already working for Bowden in some capacity.

 

Couldn't remember...Thanks. :thumb:

 

Also, isn't Baker the first African-American manager? Because Tony Perez is hispanic right?

Some interesting comments from today's press conference.

 

 

Castellini spoke of how well respected Baker is throughout Major League Baseball but made his most notable statement after Baker was questioned about whether or not to keep Adam Dunn on the team.

 

“This is something we have to talk about,” Baker said. “He’s a big part of the team, but we haven’t gotten into personnel yet.”

 

“I want him back,” Castellini interjected. “We’ll see what happens.”

 

“Hey,” Baker said. “When the big man speaks...”

Baker said his popularity with players would enable him to bring high caliber free agents to the Reds. One of his chief concerns was the club’s roster of pitchers.

 

“You add or subtract a couple players from almost every team, and there’s possibility,” Baker said. “Most times you take over a team, you’re going into a situation where they’re not doing well. This is synonymous when I took over the Giants and the Cubs. They were in the bottom. I plan on taking this team to the top like I did with the other teams.”

Baker said he is looking forward "to returning the winning attitude I always associated with the Reds."

"We're going to play exciting baseball. We're going to play fundamental baseball," Baker said.

 

 

 

 

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20071015/SPT04/310160001/-1/

How about Krivsky patting himself and Castellini on the back in the opening comments? Essentially he said, "We made a great move getting Dusty." Funny...

 

I will admit that it was refreshing to hear some of the things that Dusty had to say. It seemed like there was a lot less of him trying to convince us he can manage and a lot more of what he needs...to win. That was refreshing compared to the last few off season hires...

On the Cubs slipping under his tutelage the last two years, how many of those core players and pitchers from his last two years were with the Cubs this year?

 

Wasn't Derrick Lee out for the season in one of those years?

 

I think this has a chance to be a good hire but have reservations and will take a "let's see approach."

He is an average manager and a miserable person. Racist is a strong word but may fit this man. I am very disappointed. Someone who thinks it's a good idea to have his 4 yr old son be a bat boy should not be tinkering with million dollar pitching arms.

I'm over it and on board with the hire...

I'm over it and on board with the hire...

 

I'm trying...

He is an average manager and a miserable person. Racist is a strong word but may fit this man. I am very disappointed. Someone who thinks it's a good idea to have his 4 yr old son be a bat boy should not be tinkering with million dollar pitching arms.

 

Reaching for his son being a bat boy as a problem is dragging the bottom of the barrel.

I'm trying...

 

You'll get there. Might as well give him the benefit of the doubt. We did with Miley and Narron after all...

You'll get there. Might as well give him the benefit of the doubt. We did with Miley and Narron after all...

 

Speaking of Narron, does anyone realize how close Baker was from saying the was a 'baseball guy?' If he would've, I'd have been OUT!!!

An important Reds question................will we see Dusty Baker toothpick day at the park? First 40,000 fans get's a free Dusty Baker autographed Reds toothpick.:p

I'm over it and on board with the hire...

 

 

As am I. The more and more I read, the more and more I'm liking it.

I didn't want them to lose their manager. But since that call was already made, I can support this decision.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.