Rules Question: Aiding a Runner

cshs81

What is the real rule regarding aiding a runner by pushing him?

For instance, in a college game on Saturday a runner broke through the LOS, gained about 3 yards where he was stood up. The offensive lineman then came and pushed the entire pile forward for a first down.

#2: The Reggie Bush/Matt Leinart/ND scenario where Bush puts two hands on Leinarts back and pushes him across the goal line.

What is the wording of the rule and how is it applied? I've never seen it called.

What is the real rule regarding aiding a runner by pushing him?

For instance, in a college game on Saturday a runner broke through the LOS, gained about 3 yards where he was stood up. The offensive lineman then came and pushed the entire pile forward for a first down.

#2: The Reggie Bush/Matt Leinart/ND scenario where Bush puts two hands on Leinarts back and pushes him across the goal line.

What is the wording of the rule and how is it applied? I've never seen it called.

It was called in the Bellevue/Paris game this year.

Paris runner was being stopped by a host of Bellevue players when a Paris O-lineman grabbed the RB's jersey and flung him forward about 3 yards by the jersey. He technically never touched the player just his jersey. Kind of looked like the hammer-throw in the Olympics.

Rule 9-1, Helping the Runner: An offensive player shall not push, pull or lift the runner to assist his forward progress. 5 yard penalty.

It's gonna need to be egregious to get called. I kind of agree with the ND/USC "no call". (It looked pretty bad on replay, though...;))

You can push the pile but you cannot touch the running back.

Also, if the pile is stopped then forward progress is stopped and the play will be whistled dead.

The part about pushing the pile but not the runner is what lets refs not call this as much as we think it should be called.

Rule 9-1, Helping the Runner: An offensive player shall not push, pull or lift the runner to assist his forward progress. 5 yard penalty.

It's gonna need to be egregious to get called. I kind of agree with the ND/USC "no call". (It looked pretty bad on replay, though...;))

Do you mean it better be "BIG AND OBVIOUS!!" :rolleyes: I have actually seen that foul called! :eek: