High school football rules

Frank329

The following article in the Columbus, Ohio Dispatch on high school football rules:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2007/09/28/hsfb28.ART_ART_09-28-07_C1_9A81KCV.html?sid=101

• The rule prohibiting kickoffs and punts from being returned out of the end zone was unanimously panned.

• Another special teams rule unique to the high school game rankles some coaches. When a missed field goal attempt crosses the goal line, it is ruled an automatic touchback and spotted at the 20.

• Cut-blocking was a major point of contention among coaches. In the high school game, blocking below the waist is prohibited outside the so-called "free-blocking zone" 3 yards on each side of the ball and 4 yards wide. Within that zone, linemen may only block opposing linemen.

• Consistent with the college rule, all pass interference calls in high school games result in a 15-yard penalty. In the pros, the ball is spotted where the foul occurs.

For the coaches’ opinions read the article.

Your thoughts?

The following article in the Columbus, Ohio Dispatch on high school football rules:

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/sports/stories/2007/09/28/hsfb28.ART_ART_09-28-07_C1_9A81KCV.html?sid=101

• The rule prohibiting kickoffs and punts from being returned out of the end zone was unanimously panned.

• Another special teams rule unique to the high school game rankles some coaches. When a missed field goal attempt crosses the goal line, it is ruled an automatic touchback and spotted at the 20.

• Cut-blocking was a major point of contention among coaches. In the high school game, blocking below the waist is prohibited outside the so-called "free-blocking zone" 3 yards on each side of the ball and 4 yards wide. Within that zone, linemen may only block opposing linemen.

• Consistent with the college rule, all pass interference calls in high school games result in a 15-yard penalty. In the pros, the ball is spotted where the foul occurs.

Your thoughts?

If discussed by the NFHS, I think the touchback rule will stay in affect because of the amount of injuries sustained on special teams...

Your thoughts?

I had thought that the touchback rule was mandated by the NFHS for every state association under it's jurisdiction BUT I was watching a game from Texas a couple weeks ago and saw the ball returned out of the endzone on a kickoff.

I wonder if it's another one of those things that is left up to each state association by the NFHS just as the volleyball game limit (best 2-out-of-3 OR best 3-out-of-5).

I had thought that the touchback rule was mandated by the NFHS for every state association under it's jurisdiction BUT I was watching a game from Texas a couple weeks ago and saw the ball returned out of the endzone on a kickoff.

I wonder if it's another one of those things that is left up to each state association by the NFHS just as the volleyball game limit (best 2-out-of-3 OR best 3-out-of-5).

Correct, the state association may vote to change it but the NFHS will keep it in tact for the reason above, IMO...

Texas uses NCAA rules.

Are these injuries at a higher rate than the general injury?

I can't find it on NFHS' website but I know there was an article there. The publications page is not working. Around the same time that college moved the kickoff 5 yards back and coaches complained about the risk of injury, I checked to see what, if any, research had been done on it...

Granville coach Mike Hensley said, "The penalty for holding seems a little harsh to me, especially since the interpretation of holding is so inconsistent from one ref to another."

I agree wholeheartedly.

I would also take it a step further and suggest that the Defiinition of Blocking (Rule 2-3) is either rewritten in a manner that is not subject to inconsistent interpretation or simply include a definition of Holding in the Rules Book.

There are coaches that have their offensive linemen wear the same color gloves of the opposition to make holding a little harder to detect. The guy I learned alot from pretty much goes with if the hands are outside the frame of the body it'll probably get you a holding call.