North Laurel vs South Laurel Predictions

Who wins the battle Laurel?  

56 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the battle Laurel?

Should be a good game to watch next week at the Jungle.

I'll look for North to turn the game into a defensive battle and not let Ricky Bowling get comfortable in the pocket. These teams are very familiar with one another and i look for it to be an all out battle.

South's main target should be Wardrup, you get him rattled and the game is yours. I look for south to really try and expose the North secondary that wasn't really tested to much in the CHC game last night.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It will be a battle on the 31st. Right now, it's anyone's game to win, or lose. South has a slight mental edge due to their win last night, and due to the graduation of some very talented and athletic Sons of North. Also, remember, the kid who caught two of Wardrup's TD passes last year against South is out with a broken had from camp; so, another edge to South. However, NL has some really talented and aggressive players, as was seen last night in so many downs against Covington Holy Cross. They can run the ball well and Brandenburg always gets positive yardage almost every carry. Look for Tyree to come on strong on the O side of the ball. Keep an eye out for a couple hard-playing Freshmen making a larger appearance Friday too. On D, Nelson, Brandenburg, and company will get after whoevere has the pigskin in their hands. Will White be back in action by Friday? Anyone have info on him? Bowling knows him well also; they, along with Nelson, met up-close and personal a few times last match-up.

Covreage against the passing of South is more than likely the key. If Pennington and his pals can stop the pass, then we might just see a low-scoring game, and then it's anybody's game - Which team wants it the most? Remember, it's a game of will, of downs, of time-of-possession based on conversions. Bowling will surely be throwing many passes; some may backfire. Let's hide and watch, and see the fireworks!

South better have a different game plan than to try and rattle Wardrup. Didn't work last year and won't work this year, too much pride on the line in this game.

Wardrup is a stronger kid this year. He got rattled some last year, but if you watched last nights game vs. Holy Cross, he took some major hits and went right back to work. He took one helmet to helmet that could be heard in the parking lot and didn't miss a play. He just needs to work on his accuracy IMO, he has a tremendous arm and they should be using that advantage. I know Cameron Cornett is out for a while, but I've watched a few of their practices and talked to some of the coaches, they DO have other kids who will lay their bodies on the line to catch the ball. I know Wardrup is a good QB, but, once again, IMO I think he could break some records gaining yardage playing at the half back position, his ability to read the holes when he's running the ball is his strongest attribute.

Ricky Bowling picked apart Valley's defense last night, I don't think he'll have that to look forward to when they enter the Jungle.

NL 36

SL 21

I'm just not ready to jump on this kids bandwagon yet..i've honestly, IMO, not seen anything to really impress me all that much. I agree out of the quarterbacks that North has at the moment he is probably the best out of the bunch, but that doesn't make him a great quarterback automatically. He does need to work on this accuracy, a lot. As for good arm..my opinion is he has a mediocre arm at best. He's pretty good at the slant patterns and come backs but as far as long balls, he basically just heaves it up and hopes one of the small receivers catch it (ex. the interception he threw last night, he was looking straight into the air when he threw that ball and there were three defenders around the receiver he was trying to make it to) now i understand that this is his second year and he has a lot of learning to do and i'll agree with the hits he did take some good shots and get right back up, but i still have yet to see him step up and take a leadership role on this team that it needs from their quarterback, so i'm not jumping on the Adrian Wardrup bandwagon just yet...i hope he can change my mind.

As for ricky bowling, i agree with you completely he's not going to have as much luck as he did last night against this North D. North just needs to watch that dump off pass that i saw a lot from South last night.

This is going to be a great game

Don't misunderstand me please. I am not on the Wardrup bandwagon, I'm just saying he has made some improvement. As for your comment about him being the best out of the QB's NL has could you tell me how many times you have saw the other ones play. The Jones kid was very impressive in the scrimmage against Somerset when NL moved the ball extremely well. I've not seen the Fugate kid except for middle school and then he was more of a runner, but a good one.

I think NL is making a mistake not using all of their offensive weapons and trying to make a couple of kids stars at the cost of the team. So I am definitely not on ANY bandwagon. I'm just saying Wardrup has tremendous athletic ability and potential if it's used in the right place, which falls back on the offensive coaches. If they don't make the needed adjustments NL's defense has their work cut out for them.

I've got a chance to see a couple practices this year and Jones is looking a lot better...His accuracy isn't where it needs to be but, really neither is Wardrup's. Jones has much better decision making skills I'll give him that. What i like about jones is that he hasn't complained about not getting this starting job, he worked on his catching skills and now is a receiver as well. I've only seen Fugate a few times and he is a quick QB, i do know that he turned his ankle pretty good in Friday nights game so..hope he can come back from that really soon.

Completely agree with the "stars" comment. North Laurel sports in general have usually always been about whos got the name and who can we showcase somehow, and thats why they hardly ever win anything. Wardrup just happens to be the next case of that i'm afraid. North has so many offensive weapons that they just aren't using in the right way.

I commented earlier on Setters, who i believe can be the next Nik Blair, and they use him up the middle. Tyree, who i also believe can be an impact player, they use him right up the middle. Brandonburg, we all know what he can do. Those three combining to run the ball...i don't know of a much better trio right now. But predictable play calling because of lack of versatility from the QB position is killing the North Laurel offense right now.

I think this team has the ability to make an impact.

I've got a chance to see a couple practices this year and Jones is looking a lot better...His accuracy isn't where it needs to be but, really neither is Wardrup's. Jones has much better decision making skills I'll give him that. What i like about jones is that he hasn't complained about not getting this starting job, he worked on his catching skills and now is a receiver as well. I've only seen Fugate a few times and he is a quick QB, i do know that he turned his ankle pretty good in Friday nights game so..hope he can come back from that really soon.

Completely agree with the "stars" comment. North Laurel sports in general have usually always been about whos got the name and who can we showcase somehow, and thats why they hardly ever win anything. Wardrup just happens to be the next case of that i'm afraid. North has so many offensive weapons that they just aren't using in the right way.

I commented earlier on Setters, who i believe can be the next Nik Blair, and they use him up the middle. Tyree, who i also believe can be an impact player, they use him right up the middle. Brandonburg, we all know what he can do. Those three combining to run the ball...i don't know of a much better trio right now. But predictable play calling because of lack of versatility from the QB position is killing the North Laurel offense right now.

I think this team has the ability to make an impact.

You haven't been watching the same North Laurel team that I have this year, or for that matter, every year since its inception. Comparing Setters to Blair is the most unfair comparison I could imagine. Setters is a great kid and good football player, but please...

The game that I watched had Wardrup with no time to throw. Look at the tapes, you'll see Holy Cross rush 3 men, and we couldn't stop any of them. Numbers 66 & 44 were on him ALL night.

I do think that playing Jones at QB might help, not because Wardup's not done a good job, but to possibly move him to tailback to see if he can help move the offense for NL. Wardrup is hands down the best athlete on this team, ask most any unbiased observer, they'll tell you the same. His athleticism stands out like a sore thumb. It's up to NL's coaching staff to find the right way to utilize that ability.

I sure hope that NL's defense can hold back SL's high powered attack, the secondary may be in for a very long night if the boys up front don't put some serious pressure on Bowling, then they better hope that they can contain him as well.

OK let me comment on the Setters comment that I made...in no way was I say that he was going to be anywhere on the level that Blair was when he played. The comparison that I was making was how Blair was used. When I would watch Blair run he was amazing, this is Setters first Varsity year so I'm not saying at all that he is even on the same level as Nik. The coaching staff used Nik to the outside with sweeps and counters a lot when he played that gave him a chance to get a full head of steam and break a lot of tackles out there, I know he ran up the middle a good deal too but like I said Setters isn't on that level yet and honestly I don't think the line can hold a hole open long enough for any of the North Laurel runners to get through it. I just think if they used him MORE to the outside, not every time, that he'd have a better chance to make an impact on the team in the running game. So I'm sorry if you misunderstood my comparison, that would be an unfair comparison, considering Blair was one of the best running back NL has seen. (in addition, I also think that Tyree could be more effective being used a little more to the outside, hes got some ability to make some people miss, from what I've seen.)

And I totally agree with you on the North secondary, they didn't really get tested a whole lot on Friday night and SL is going to be looking to try and expose a weakness in the defense, and that may very well be it. The boys up front need to make sure that he doesn't get to comfortable back there or they will be in for a long night. I completely agree with you on that.

You haven't been watching the same North Laurel team that I have this year, or for that matter, every year since its inception. Comparing Setters to Blair is the most unfair comparison I could imagine. Setters is a great kid and good football player, but please...

The game that I watched had Wardrup with no time to throw. Look at the tapes, you'll see Holy Cross rush 3 men, and we couldn't stop any of them. Numbers 66 & 44 were on him ALL night.

I do think that playing Jones at QB might help, not because Wardup's not done a good job, but to possibly move him to tailback to see if he can help move the offense for NL. Wardrup is hands down the best athlete on this team, ask most any unbiased observer, they'll tell you the same. His athleticism stands out like a sore thumb. It's up to NL's coaching staff to find the right way to utilize that ability.

I sure hope that NL's defense can hold back SL's high powered attack, the secondary may be in for a very long night if the boys up front don't put some serious pressure on Bowling, then they better hope that they can contain him as well.

In a round about way that's what I was trying to say! Wardrup is a heck of an athlete. IMHO I feel it would be doing him as well as the ENTIRE team a great justice to let him run the ball, he's an extremely illusive runner. Given that and him not have to worry about or think about who or when to throw the ball, just run, and you've got an unbelievable weapon. And you are right it's up to NL's coaching staff how they use his ability, but if they don't at least try something different I'm afraid the future doesn't look so bright.

OK let me comment on the Setters comment that I made...in no way was I say that he was going to be anywhere on the level that Blair was when he played. The comparison that I was making was how Blair was used. When I would watch Blair run he was amazing, this is Setters first Varsity year so I'm not saying at all that he is even on the same level as Nik. The coaching staff used Nik to the outside with sweeps and counters a lot when he played that gave him a chance to get a full head of steam and break a lot of tackles out there, I know he ran up the middle a good deal too but like I said Setters isn't on that level yet and honestly I don't think the line can hold a hole open long enough for any of the North Laurel runners to get through it. I just think if they used him MORE to the outside, not every time, that he'd have a better chance to make an impact on the team in the running game. So I'm sorry if you misunderstood my comparison, that would be an unfair comparison, considering Blair was one of the best running back NL has seen. (in addition, I also think that Tyree could be more effective being used a little more to the outside, hes got some ability to make some people miss, from what I've seen.)

And I totally agree with you on the North secondary, they didn't really get tested a whole lot on Friday night and SL is going to be looking to try and expose a weakness in the defense, and that may very well be it. The boys up front need to make sure that he doesn't get to comfortable back there or they will be in for a long night. I completely agree with you on that.

OK, it looks like we may be more in agreement than I thought. How about clearing this one up for me. What did you mean in this comment:

Completely agree with the "stars" comment. North Laurel sports in general have usually always been about whos got the name and who can we showcase somehow, and thats why they hardly ever win anything.

I've been watching NL sports since the inception of the school, and can not recall anything remotely like this EVER. Please be more specific.

The comment wasn't even as much about the high schools sport programs as it was about the optimist and little league teams and things like that. While kids are growing up playing sports there are a lot of kids around London that get passed up that have a lot of athletic ability because some coaches only focus their play books or teams around one player or a few players and I just think that if that were changed at an early age these kids, when they get to the high school level, would be much more complete teams. I'll use an example as the South Laurel basketball team from a few years ago that won the state championship. That was a complete team, they grew up playing together and worked well as a team and it payed off and I just believe that if more teams that North brings up were worked together as a "team" and not just focused around a few players the North Laurel High School sports programs would be some of the best in the state but, thats just my opinion.