Are The Red Sox Going To Lose The Division?

It seems to me a foregone conclusion now that the Yankees are going to make the playoffs. They just moved into a tie for the wildcard, and are playing well enough that I just can't see them not making it in. But the Red Sox, who once led the Yankees by 14 1/2 games, now are only up 4 with a month and a half remaining. They have 6 more games with the Yankees on the schedule. What say you? Are the Yankees going to make Bucky Dent look like a happy memory compared to this potential massive collapse?

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me a foregone conclusion now that the Yankees are going to make the playoffs. /QUOTE]

I don't see it as a foregone conclusion. The yanks have taken advantage of a weak schedule after the break. They will have to continue against better competition. One advantage they have is the central teams (tigers, indians, and twins) will be beating each other up.

The Red Sox have very good pitching and a good bullpen, that fact alone will make it difficult for them to be overtaken. I do not think that it is a given that the Yankees will make the playoffs. The Bronx Bombers are playing VERY good now but still trail in the division and even in the WC. Yankees are definately in a good postion and a lot better than we were a while back but still certainly not a given.

The Red Sox have very good pitching and a good bullpen, that fact alone will make it difficult for them to be overtaken. I do not think that it is a given that the Yankees will make the playoffs. The Bronx Bombers are playing VERY good now but still trail in the division and even in the WC. Yankees are definately in a good postion and a lot better than we were a while back but still certainly not a given.

:thumb:

I definitely can see the Yanks winning the WC, although I think, as you said, the Sox have too good of pitching for them to lose the division. Gagne has been struggling recently, 4 blown leads since joining the Sox, but they just need to get him out of the 8th inning role and things will be back to normal for the Sox pen IMO.

:thumb:

I definitely can see the Yanks winning the WC, although I think, as you said, the Sox have too good of pitching for them to lose the division. Gagne has been struggling recently, 4 blown leads since joining the Sox, but they just need to get him out of the 8th inning role and things will be back to normal for the Sox pen IMO.

:thumb: I said it would be difficult for the Yankees to win the division, not impossible. :D :sssh:

The Red Sox have very good pitching and a good bullpen, that fact alone will make it difficult for them to be overtaken. .

The addition of Gagne has been a negative to the bullpen. My friend from the New England area and I were talking about it the day the trade happend and we both felt it was a terrible trade for the Red Sox. So far, he is making us look like geniuses.

I still think the Sox will take the East, however. The Yanks dug themselves into too big of a hole.

Any real Sox fan (like myself) would have to be a little worried...I mean, you can't ignore what has happened in the past...other than coming back from 3-0, the Red Sox have almost always failed when the Yankees put some pressure on them.

It's hard to say really...at this point, I'd still take the odds and pick the Sox to win the East, but I wouldn't be surprised either way.