What Makes a Good Coach?

I think the keys (because I think it is a combination) is player development, player control, player relationship, x and o's, and luck makes up good coaches.

The hardest thing that I think coaches have to battle in todays coaching world is getting players to play outside of their comfort zones. Most players are comfortable at a certain level and they become complacent often with friends, family and current win/loss situations. If a coach can get a player to perform outside of where he/she is comfortable that player will ultimately be better for it and so will the team. Most times the player adapts and becomes comfortable being great, who isnt comfortable with the pressure are the parents (which is why a lot of parents love to complain when a coach is trying to make their kid better, they just cant see that).

Good players.

You can be a great coach while winning with good players and don't know what you are doing with not-so-good players.

Especially point guard. Most important position on the floor for a team.

And BTW, the attributes that the coach has to have from girls' basketball to boys' basketball is DIFFERENT.

Good players.

You can be a great coach while winning with good players and don't know what you are doing with not-so-good players.

Especially point guard. Most important position on the floor for a team.

And BTW, the attributes that the coach has to have from girls' basketball to boys' basketball is DIFFERENT.

Your last statement is absolutely true. For success, and for survival, the approach must be entirely different. Girls are not boys and boys are not girls. Liberal philosophers, historians, and politicians can never change that basic fact. Actually, aren't we all thankful that that is the case?

Great thread - more than just x's and o's and wins and losses. A great coach teaches life skills through this great game of basketball. Work ethic, citizenship, responsibility, respect....tell me one thing that you can't teach your players about life if you are truly a great coach?? Sorry for getting philosophical.

Great thread - more than just x's and o's and wins and losses. A great coach teaches life skills through this great game of basketball. Work ethic' date=' citizenship, responsibility, respect....tell me one thing that you can't teach your players about life if you are truly a great coach?? Sorry for getting philosophical.[/quote']

You make a great points but unfortunately a good coach will be fired or ran out by parents/fans without the first sentence being wins.

IMO- a good coach is someone who works with a team, no matter skill level of the individuals on the basics/fundamentals of basketball or any sport for that matter. Someone who gives encouragement to their players and doesn't yell at them when they do something wrong especially when they are on the floor. Yelling at players should be done in the locker room if it has to be done at all. I've seen yelling at players do more harm than good, for one thing it doesn't do a whole lot for a players confidence. A good coach knows how to win and how to lose(how to make those losses learning lessons). A good coach knows their players -what their strengths & weaknesses are-what motivates them. A good coach emphasizes the TEAM effort, recognizes individual efforts, and rewards those efforts. A good coach will practice, practice, practice. I've played sports and had many coaches in basketball, soccer & softball. One of my favorite coaches was a guy who coached softball. He believed practice made perfect. When it was right before game time-he would give a run down on every player on the opposing team, their strengths & weaknesses. He would make a point of knowing about the opposing team through scouts. I never heard the man yell negatively at any player. We loved him and played our hearts out for him. It worked just great because we had one loss that season.

Your coach had it all wrong kygirl. Practice does not make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect. And yelling, wow hello, have you ever seen a college coach. I guess the general, and K, and Roy Williams, and all of those guys are not good coaches because they yell at their players. They yell because they are intimate enough with their players that they can reaction from that yell, that is when you have done something as a coach. Not just yelling to be yelling, but yelling to get results.

A good coach knows how to balance the negative criticism with the positive praise. I've always believed that the worst thing to happen to a player is when his/her coach stops correcting him/her. It is then that the player may realize that the coach has lost all hope in him/her.