Tubby tells team he's not going anywhere

CatchMeIfYouCan

Tubby tells Kentucky players job not in jeopardy

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2782724

LEXINGTON, Ky. -- First place is out of reach. Second place looks doubtful. With two tough games left, it'll even take some work for Kentucky to finish as high as fourth in the Southeastern Conference East.

The Wildcats (19-9, 8-6), the winningest college basketball program in history, have lost four of their last five games, and some fans are placing the blame squarely on coach Tubby Smith.

But Tuesday, the two-time national coach of the year brushed aside speculation his job is in jeopardy if the team doesn't finish strong. When his players host Georgia (17-10, 8-6) Wednesday in their home finale, they should have no fears about preserving his 10-year tenure as Kentucky's coach, Smith said.

"They don't have to worry about my job being on the line," Smith said. "They need to be concentrating on playing to the best of their abilities."

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Certainly sitting here at 19-9 ... I'm not going to defend my record or anything else," Smith said. "But I guess Mitch felt like he needed to make a comment, from what I understand. I'm sure he gets calls just like everybody else."

..."I feel it," Morris said. "He lets us have a little fraction ... of the heat he's facing. He's under extreme scrutiny. There's no place in the country like the heat he's taking personally."

..."Coach is a really strong individual," Obrzut said. "He's been coaching basketball for 35 years. I'm not even that old. I know he cares a lot about us as players. He cares a lot about this program."

..."I know it's a tough job, probably the toughest job in college basketball as far as coaching," Perry said. "We know the pressures that come with that job. He's very qualified for what he does. He wouldn't be in this position if he wasn't."

..."Certainly I'm not happy with four out of five losses, but I'm not going to jump off a building," Smith said. "I don't think anybody else should either."

..."I know it's a tough job, probably the toughest job in college basketball as far as coaching," Perry said. "We know the pressures that come with that job. He's very qualified for what he does. He wouldn't be in this position if he wasn't."

Actually Bobby you aren't qualified to start at the 4 at UK yet here you are.

One thing I have been contemplating is has KY boys been a problem for UK.

They took Barbour and when KY played Vandy, the Byars kid said he was considering hard on KY when Barbour committed the scholly went to him.

Sparks filled a spot that got in the way of recruiting others.

Carter as mentioned below.

Rondo created problems.

Stockton was a scholly that ended up not producing.

Carrier was another one.

It seems that the KY players Tubby ends up with is less than more.

One thing I have been contemplating is has KY boys been a problem for UK.

They took Barbour and when KY played Vandy, the Byars kid said he was considering hard on KY when Barbour committed the scholly went to him.

Sparks filled a spot that got in the way of recruiting others.

Rondo created problems.

Stockton was a scholly that ended up not producing.

Carrier was another one.

It seems that the KY players Tubby ends up with is less than more.

Which is one of the reasons I don't ever point to the C-Lo arguement when TBing. I don't blame Tubby for that. I do blame him for recruiting some of the in-state guys.