Bengals And Free Agency

:thumb:

And for some strange reason they always have a lot of talent. Remember when they had 4 DB's hurt at the same time and still had a VERY GOOD secondary.

Belechick has been their much longer building continuity with that defense and establishing it.

Because of the dearth in talent on defense when he got here and injury, the Bengals have had no continuity on defense; they are always playing with new people.

DT-Williams, Robinson, Adams

MLB-Hardy, L. Johnson, Thurman, Simmons, Brooks, Miller

OLB-Adrian ?, L. Johnson, Pollack, Jeanty

LDE-? , Smith, Robinson

S-Roman,?,Ohalete,Jackson, Kaesviharn, Jackson

Plus, two different coordinators!

Next season, there may a switch to the 3-4, which they considered last year.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No the Patriots have let pretty much everyone leave. I thought the Bengals made a few mistakes with some of their signings. I thought Willie (who is one of my favorite players ever) was expendable. He's getting up there and he got some jack from the Bengals.

Signing them before the contract is up actually saves them some money, not as much as relying on a draft pick, but Stacy Andrews showed in the Indy game he is not ready at right tackle; he played really well at guard. They also didn't know Whitworth would be as good as he was, although that is what a 2nd round draft pick is supposed to do.

Interesting question- Could Whitworth have played RT and Andrews LG?

Needless to say, the critics would have come out after not resigning Willie!

the negative Cincy media would be all over the Bengals for that too.

I don't believe for one second that the Bengals wouldn't sign all those players if they could; history has shown that especially since Marvin has been there that the Bengals have spent up to the salary cap.

Plus the number that Curnutte claims the Bengals have is fluid; they just re-signed Koostria so it has already changed. He is just following the typically negative line of the Cincy media.

Too much.

Where are you getting your cap figures? You seem to be more in the know in all things "salary cap" than Mark Curnutte and other NFL "experts," so I'm just wondering where are you getting your figures?

Since we all know that the cap in 2007 will be approximately $109 million (6.8% increase over last year), where do you think they are in terms of available space (including the Rookie Pool)? Do you disagree that they are in the Top 10 in terms of money available?

:thumb:

And for some strange reason they always have a lot of talent. Remember when they had 4 DB's hurt at the same time and still had a VERY GOOD secondary.

Their pass rush significantly aids their secondary; it all goes hand in hand.

Belechick has been their much longer building continuity with that defense and establishing it.

Because of the dearth in talent on defense when he got here and injury, the Bengals have had no continuity on defense; they are always playing with new people.

DT-Williams, Robinson, Adams

MLB-Hardy, L. Johnson, Thurman, Simmons, Brooks, Miller

OLB-Adrian ?, L. Johnson, Pollack, Jeanty

LDE-? , Smith, Robinson

S-Roman,?,Ohalete,Jackson, Kaesviharn, Jackson

Plus, two different coordinators!

Next season, there may a switch to the 3-4, which they considered last year.

There are some constants in the defense that have been here a while that IMO aren't very good. I'd like the Bengals to go to a 3-4.

Johnson and Simmons at OLB Miller and Brooks (I think he fits a 3-4 ML to a T) at ML. Geathers at End, Robinson at End, Peko would be a very good end if he cut a little weight. Thorton and Peko could play End. Rucker can play end. Adams can play the NT on 1st and short yardage and go smaller on passing downs. If Thurman and Pollack were healthy and sober it would be GREAT to switch. Right now the personel looks pretty good, but the LBs are a little weak IMO.

Too much.

Where are you getting your cap figures? You seem to be more in the know in all things "salary cap" than Mark Curnutte and other NFL "experts," so I'm just wondering where are you getting your figures?

Since we all know that the cap in 2007 will be approximately $109 million (6.8% increase over last year), where do you think they are in terms of available space (including the Rookie Pool)? Do you disagree that they are in the Top 10 in terms of money available?

Don't forget tender to their own restricted free agents, who are mainly special teams guys, but important members of the team and including their only two TE's with experience. I suppose if they didn't re-sign any of them, that would give them more money, but they have to fill out an entire roster, not just the starters!

Geoff Hobson reports on their cap space all the time; not just when it is convenient to criticize, and yes he does criticize the Bengals (draftees, defense, timeouts).

He is not supporting his own cause as many would like to believe.

I have no idea as far as how they compare to other teams (your top 10 reference).

If they let Smith and Steinbach go, they may have room for one significant signing- Thomas or Samuel or Clements or Briggs.

Curnutte has previously reported that they have room to sign Smith and Steinbach. That was even reported on 1530 Sportstalk. Now he is saying they can sign a big name! Can they sign all three??? No way!!!

He deals in whatever is convenient to criticize.

The so called experts outside the city, don't have any idea who the Bengals are planning to re-sign of their Restricted free agents; heck, the Bengals don't even know who is going to accept their offers right now.

When the free agency period opens, the Bengals will have to look at who has re-signed, the likelihood of the free agents accepting their offers, and then make an offer to whomever they feel is most desirable based on what they can afford.

How can the so called experts know all that when there are so many variables? They are just guessing.

There are some constants in the defense that have been here a while that IMO aren't very good. I'd like the Bengals to go to a 3-4.

Johnson and Simmons at OLB Miller and Brooks (I think he fits a 3-4 ML to a T) at ML. Geathers at End, Robinson at End, Peko would be a very good end if he cut a little weight. Thorton and Peko could play End. Rucker can play end. Adams can play the NT on 1st and short yardage and go smaller on passing downs. If Thurman and Pollack were healthy and sober it would be GREAT to switch. Right now the personel looks pretty good, but the LBs are a little weak IMO.

Geathers is too light to play a DE in the 3-4; they are virtual DT's because they are playing down more head up or inside eye of the OT; 3-4 DE's need to be 290 plus and be able to move-Thornton, Peko, Fanene (yes he has flashed when healthy), Robinson, and Rucker.

Geathers could be a great OLB like Porter of Pittsburgh; he has already been dropped into coverage from his spon on the DL at times; he is extremely athletic and could make the switch.

Adams, Smith, and Peko could play NG also.

I am with you on that one; I think the 3-4 allows for more deception, which the Bengals need to get to the QB.

Geathers is too light to play a DE in the 3-4; they are virtual DT's because they are playing down more head up or inside eye of the OT; 3-4 DE's need to be 290 plus and be able to move-Thornton, Peko, Fanene (yes he has flashed when healthy), Robinson, and Rucker.

Geathers could be a great OLB like Porter of Pittsburgh; he has already been dropped into coverage from his spon on the DL at times; he is extremely athletic and could make the switch.

Adams, Smith, and Peko could play NG also.

I am with you on that one; I think the 3-4 allows for more deception, which the Bengals need to get to the QB.

I have no idea why I said he should be an end.

Don't forget tender to their own restricted free agents, who are mainly special teams guys, but important members of the team and including their only two TE's with experience. I suppose if they didn't re-sign any of them, that would give them more money, but they have to fill out an entire roster, not just the starters!

Geoff Hobson reports on their cap space all the time; not just when it is convenient to criticize, and yes he does criticize the Bengals (draftees, defense, timeouts).

I have no idea as far as how they compare to other teams (your top 10 reference).

If they let Smith and Steinbach go, they may have room for one significant signing- Thomas or Samuel or Clements or Briggs.

Curnutte has previously reported that they have room to sign Smith and Steinbach. That was even reported on 1530 Sportstalk. Now he is saying they can sign a big name! Can they sign all three??? No way!!!

The so called experts outside the city, don't have any idea who the Bengals are planning to re-sign of their Restricted free agents; heck, the Bengals don't even know who is going to accept their offers right now.

When the free agency period opens, the Bengals will have to look at who has re-signed, the likelihood of the free agents accepting their offers, and then make an offer to whomever they feel is most desirable based on what they can afford.

How can the so called experts know all that when there are so many variables? They are just guessing.

You could have saved a lot of time and just typed that you have no idea how much room they have and you were looking to take a gratuitous shot at a guy that spends every day with the team.

The figure that National Experts use, before their restricted free agents, but including the Rookie Pool, is the Bengals having $28.8 million available. Are they guessing....maybe. So are you -- why throw stones?

Need a whole roster, not just the starters...good tip. :thumb:

By the way Wildcat, if you want to rip him to shreds here (where you know he isn't reading) feel free. However, if you want to put your money where your mouth is, why not go and debate him where I can PROMISE you he'll reply to your insults and allegations: his blog. I think that'd be entertaining.

By the way Wildcat, if you want to rip him to shreds here (where you know he isn't reading) feel free. However, if you want to put your money where your mouth is, why not go and debate him where I can PROMISE you he'll reply to your insults and allegations: his blog. I think that'd be entertaining.

:thumb: :thumb:

I'll be waiting...

:laugh: Right there is funny! You completely contradict yourself from what you were arguing about at the beginning. You were strong in saying the Bengals wouldn't have room, then you changed to well if they dont sign smith they will have room to sign a big name. The only person who really seems like they are guessing is you, and yet your trying to criticize others by saying they are guessing? :lol:

Maybe I missed it, but I still haven't seen you reply to the last thing posted when I quoted you, but I guess that would be hard to argue with since pretty much what I said was the truth...:sssh: