Lexington Catholic 73 Warren Central 56

Final from Lexington Catholic. The reigning state champs make a long trek for a marquee regular season climax, but the Knights pull away in the latter stages of the game. Tyler Doyle posted a game high 26 for Lexington Catholic. Elijah Starks led the Dragons with 22.

The Knights put on a shooting clinic, connecting at a 57% clip with twelve threes.

LexCath (28-2, State #2/R11 #2)

Warren Central (13-10, R4 #2)

I don't know why they had it 73-56, unless they made a change in the official book.  It was 73-57.

It was 60-56 with just over 4 minutes left, and Lexington Catholic had called a timeout to slow down a Central run.  They scored on a lob play from out of bounds on the ensuing possession, forced a tough shot on the other end, and followed that with a corner three, and that was just the decisive kick they needed.  They finished the game on a 13-1 run. 

Central does a lot of daring teams to beat them from three.  Lexington Catholic happily obliged.  The Knights do pretty much everything well.  I was impressed with their full court pressure, their passing, etc., but it was that three point shooting that just buried Central.  Every time they made a push, three ball by LexCath to push it back. 

Nevertheless, this is exactly the type of game Central needed.  They faced a more hostile crowd than they've faced all year.  They faced the type of pressure they will face against Bowling Green.  And they battled, though they failed in the finishing kick.  I'm very glad this was the type of game they got, even if I wish they'd not have  let it get away from them late like that.