Beechwood at Mayfield Predictions/Updates

Who wins?  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 11/25/2023 at 12:00 AM

The two kings of Kentucky small school football. All of these two know how to do is win. This one might end up with even more hype than last week IMO. I haven’t seen Beechwood play but I’ve seen their impressive passing game numbers. Do they have much of a running attack? In over the last 20 years, Murray and Danville are the only teams to leave Mayfield with a win in November. Until someone proves me wrong I’m going with The Cards.

Mayfield 42

Beechwood 28

• Like 1

These two just can’t get away from each other which is awesome for us fans, maybe not so much for either teams supporters. Watched a lot of the Mayfield game last night. We were warned about how big of homers the play by play guys were, and they were, but it was awesome. Love to hear what the educated fans think and feel, not the neutral voice we get from paid pay by play guys. Mayfield answered every time LCA scored. Beecheood not being tested since the 5-6th week of the season is got me leaning Mayfied, but Beecwood has a very good offense as well, so I’ll take the Tigers (NKY bias? Yes). I’m assuming this will be live again? Good luck to both teams and safe travels.

• Like 2

Beechwood’s ability to run the ball/stop the run concerns me. In order to have success in November and December you have to do those things. Mayfield is the real deal after last nights performance. I think Clay Hayden is better than Boley, so the matchup in the secondary will be interesting. 

• Like 4

26 minutes ago, Breds82 said:

These two just can’t get away from each other which is awesome for us fans, maybe not so much for either teams supporters. Watched a lot of the Mayfield game last night. We were warned about how big of homers the play by play guys were, and they were, but it was awesome. Love to hear what the educated fans think and feel, not the neutral voice we get from paid pay by play guys. Mayfield answered every time LCA scored. Beecheood not being tested since the 5-6th week of the season is got me leaning Mayfied, but Beecwood has a very good offense as well, so I’ll take the Tigers (NKY bias? Yes). I’m assuming this will be live again? Good luck to both teams and safe travels.

I hope this isn't a rules violation, if it is take my post down.  The Red Helmet Video is nothing more than a few guys who take it upon themselves to air Mayfield games.  Its not a for profit thing but just some fans who air the game for their love of the sport and their team. No biggie until playoff time where the KHSAA fees come in to play. They will air the playoff games as long as they get enough donations to cover the cost so hopefully, they will get to cover the Mayfield vs Beechwood game and I imagine they will get enough donations to cover but it's not a guarantee as each round of the playoffs the cost goes up. Anyway, as fans with no strings attached, they get to be themselves or shall I say homers. 

• Like 7

Blue bloods for Thanksgiving any way you slice it.  I use to love to get on here and rag on the Beechies but I find it hard to do since the Tornado. Beechwood went above and beyond both community and school wise to help us in our darkest hour and for that I will always be grateful.  Beechwood is one class act!

• Like 21
  • Thanks 1

Some of this may sound familiar, because it is. Many of the comments below were made just last year when the Tigers and Cardinals faced each other in the state title game. Beechwood won that one 14-13 to build on the previous year's 38-7 win over Mayfield in the 2A semifinals. Beechwood has one more notch they need to add to their belt - a win at War Memorial over the Cardinals. The Tigers will give that one another try on the day after Thanksgiving in the 2023 2A semifinals. So let's talk....

They're baaack. Yes, here we go again - but we all love it. Two great programs face off as they march on toward another hoped for state title. The Beechwood Tigers and Mayfield Cardinals are no strangers to state title games and they are no strangers to each other. Despite their many playoff battles, last year was the first time in 20 years these two met in a championship game. These two teams are at the top of class 2A in team defense with the Tigers. More impressive though is their ranking in scoring margin in the entire state all classes with the Tigers ranked #4 outscoring opponents by 35.8 per game and the Cardinals ranked #3 outscoring opponents by 36.3 points per game. This game looks like another classic matchup. Despite the emotion and playoff rivalry between these two teams, there is mutual respect for each other. It should be another classic playoff battle but this year's game looks different to me.

Mayfield did it again this year. For the second year in a row they defeated the very highly esteemed Lexington Christian Eagles in the playoffs - despite virtually no one thinking they could do it. The Tigers have been there and done that themselves in the past few years. The Cardinals have added to the mystique of their vaunted War Memorial home field advantage with those wins. Very experienced Sr. QB Zane Cartwright has completed 72.4% of his passes for 1,858 yards, 28 TD passes and only 2 interceptions. Sr. RB Jutarious "JuJu" Starks has 1,140 yards rushing and averages 8.8 yards per carry. Starks had a huge game against LCA last week and was arguably the key to victory for the Cardinals. He rushed for 104 yards against Beechwood in last year's title game. I think the Tigers would be very happy if the could hold Starks to 104 yards again in this week's game. Mayfield has three excellent receiving options - Sr. Braden Morris 25 catches, 436 yards, 6 TD's; Sr. Xavier Biggers 18 catches, 394 yards, 9 TD's; So. Mak Hoover 19 catches, 369 yards, 5 TD's. All three of those receivers are standouts on defense - Morris 3 INT's, Hoover 3 INT's and Biggers 2 INT's (these stats may not include last night's game against LCA). Juniors Ian Williams and Carter Morris are leading tacklers for the Mayfield defense.

Beechwood is traveling to Mayfield for only the second time in the last 10 years. The last trip was Beechwood's first season in 2A and Mayfield handled the Tigers 35-7 in that game. That is the last time Beechwood lost a game in 2A. In fact, that is the only 2A game Beechwood has lost in their 5 years in 2A. This year's Beechwood team is different than last year's. Last year Beechwood's defense was dominating - one of their best ever and Mayfield experienced that in the title game. This year's team is led by one of the best passing attacks in the entire KHSAA. Jr. QB Clay Hayden may be the most underrated QB in the state. Hayden currently has the 4th best completion percentage in a season in KHSAA history, completing 74% of his passes. His 266 yards passing per game is #6 in the entire state. Hayden has 40 TD passes against 5 INT's. Hayden has a crew of underclass receivers that are one of the top trios of receivers in the state. Jr. Luke Erdman went over 1,000 yards on the season last night. Jr. James Cusick has over 600 yards and 12 TD's. Freshman Tyler Fryman is closing in on 1,000 yards and has 10 TD's. Fryman is an outstanding athlete who was offered a D1 baseball scholarship by UofL as an 8th grader. Jr. RB Chase Flaherty is a versatile back who is a threat both rushing and receiving, with over 1,000 yards combined. The defense's strength is on the back end. Beechwood is #7 in the state in passing yards allowed. The Tiger defense is one of the leading teams in interceptions in the state with 22 on the year. Sr. Talon Linder has 5 INT's and Sr. Shawn Sowder has 3 INT's as do Fryman and Cusick. Sr. Xavier Campbell is a 4 year starter and team leader on defense. The Beechwood defense under new head coach and defensive coordinator Jay Volker had some growing pains early in the season. However, only one team has scored a TD against Beechwood since the Covington Catholic game. Is that a function of the SOS or has the defense improved that much? Friday night will tell the tale. 

The Tigers have thrown some Cardinals demons to the wayside over the past few years. Can they eliminate one more and get a win on the road at War Memorial Stadium? 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

As a Mayfield fan and homer, I think the Cardinals will be hungry to avenge some demons for the last couple of years. My only concern is similar to the 2011 season, when Mayfield lost to Hazard in the championship. I'm thoroughly convinced the reason we lost that game was because we were beat up the week before in a very physical game. Last nights game with LCA was also very physical. Hopefully, by the time friday rolls around, we'll be ready to go. I do think it could help us having the starters having to play 4 quarters the last couple of weeks. When you haven't had too in the last 2 months, that could be a factor late in the game. Either way, should be a great game.

• Like 3

• theguru changed the title to Beechwood at Mayfield Predictions/Updates
  • theguru locked this topic