We need a Shot clock.

I agree 120% there should be no 3 point line in the younger age. To many kids try and shoot the three and they have to throw the shot up instead of shooting and this teaches poor shooting forms that are very hard to correct once kids have done this for so long I also think there should not be a shot clock there are alot of kids out there who would worry to much about the clock and i think you would see alot more free lace type plays instead of a set offense JMO i think teaching the kids to be patient and get a good look is important still at the High School level besides you cant tell me that once in awhile seeing a team that has no chance of winning slow the game down against a team so they can stay in the game and give themselves a chance for an upset is not a fun thing to watch afterall these are kids and they deserver to have fun when they are in High School gives them something to talk about when there old and grey LOL

amen:thumb:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed, basketball isnt always made to be played in a hurry. Strategy wins a lot of games. Basketball isnt made for the fans to be happy or stay interested the entire game(eventhough that does help), but teams play to win. If ur team cant run with the ball or likes to work it around to get the open shot but just so happens to take longer than 45 secs, very seldom, then thats promotes good team ball instead of just the first one down the court pulls as soon as daylight hits the eye.

If i'm coaching and i think that if i hold the ball the entire quarter or as much as possible during the game will help me be closer to a victory then thats what i'm going to do, no matter if the fans like it or not, i'm there to win. people like winners and eventualy if it works the fans will adjust and everyone seems happy win winning is involved.

Basketball has always been a fast paced game. That is the main reason you don't have to be tall to play the game. If you slow the game down , you will take the smaller person out or the game. i'm not suggesting that you take strategy out of the game & just because you are a fast paced offense, doesn't mean there is no strategy.Also, if the game isn't for the fans,why do so many go? The NBA pays players millions of $$$ and a great deal or that maney comes from fans.

I'm not saying the fans dont enjoy the game and the excitment. Fans raise the stakes a little and improves the playing conditions/atmosphere tremendously. As a player, I always played better in a packed house rather than an empty nest. But should the game be played for the fans and to keep them coming? My coach never took a poll before the game to see if we should play uptempo or slow it down. Eventhough we played the majority of the time fast paced, there were special occasions when the ball was held over 4 mins, which worked to our advantage the majority of the time.I appreciate every fan I ever had.

In the NBA there are a shot clock because the fans pay their check and the intertainment is great.If no fans came to NBA games that team relocates and is sold. In high school, there are many teams which have under 50pple at each game esp. in girls basketball.

And yes just because you are a fast paced team doesnt mean u dont have a strategy. Slowing the pace of the game doesnt mean you take the shorter player out of the game either, it just means it may be a little more defense played(which i would enjoy seeing). I've seen numerous teams hold the ball for quarters at the time to stay in the game. OBI seems to hold the ball for amounts of time againest Clay county to maybe pull Clay out of the well known 2-3 they enjoy playing.

I once heard the well known Bobby Keith say that if two teams do nothing but run and gun the entire game then the more athleic team will win 95%of the time. He went on and explained that slowing the ball down and setting up an offense so that each player on the team was able to do their part (set pick,pass and cut), then the slower, shorter and less athletic team held the advantage and controlled the game because they held control of the ball longer than their opponents. Seemed to work well for him around 87'

If you slow the game down , you will take the smaller person out or the game. i'm not suggesting that you take strategy out of the game & just because you are a fast paced offense, doesn't mean there is no strategy.

I disagree - if you are slowing the game down a team's best ball-handlers (guards-usually smaller people) will probably have the ball more than anyone else. Also a huge part of strategy is dictating game tempo. A shot clock would have a major impact on how coaches prepare and execute their game plan.

Game tempo may increase but scoring does not necessarily have to go along with that. It is a lot easier to get your team to buy into a defensive philosophy that requires them to make a stand for 30 seconds instead of pressuring until a turnover. The athletic teams will dominate even more than they do now because of the ability to take time off the shot clock pressing and then the offensive team having to rush to get shots.

Or the other strategy of backing in a zone, matching up against the 1-2 shooters and forcing bad shots.

There is a reason why John Wooden said that if you want to watch a basketball game the way it was meant to be played, watch a girls basketball game.

A game of teamwork, execution and precision timing. Those things are hampered with a shot clock, IMHO.