Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

We need a Shot clock.

Featured Replies

The game is good the way it is. There are some isolated instances where this might make it better, but coaches should be allowed to use strategies which will help their team...such as holding the ball. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

  • Replies 50
  • Views 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would hate to see a shot clock used in girls high school basketball. I also believe that shooting percentage would suffer and the number of poor shots taken would skyrocket. I also believe that most high school teams have trouble holding on to the ball for any considerable amount of time without committing a turnover, unless the other team is playing a very soft defense. In that case, the defenders should apply more heat.

 

If slowing down the game is to a team's advantage, then they should give it a shot. If a team is disciplined enough to not turn it over -more power to them. I myself like a fast-paced and high scoring game, but I can also respect a discliplined and methodical style as well. I think its very interesting to watch 2 team compete with differing styles. Its fun to see which of the 2 strategies are ultimately successful.

 

One more comment and I'll get off the soapbox. Many times fans complain of a boring strategy that incorporates a slow-down half-court set. But if my team goes 20-2 with this strategy, you won't find me complaining - and I don't think many of the players will either. After all, the players and coaches want to win at all costs (while hopefully being fair and sportsmanlike). No coach should ever change what he feels to be a good strategy just to appease the fans. IMO a coach that only caters to the whims of the fans will not be successful for long.

I think the shot clock could help %. More transition shots. Womens college is much more fun to watch than high school and I think the shot clock has a lot to do with that.

 

:fight:

If a team could run and create transition opportunities, they would do it without a shot clock.

However many times the shot clock came into play in a high school game would be more times that a forced shot would come into play---which would lower FG%--because very few girls can create a quality shot in a short period of time.

AAU nationals, college, big showcase events use it. Why not get them ready for a shot at the next level.

 

:fight:

I love the idea of a 45 second shot clock. I have seen several teams this season hold the ball for at least 90 seconds. I agree totally with Boom, we should be trying to prepare the girls for the next level !

I would also agree that if it was part of the game you would hardly ever see a violation. It would simply keep the game moving.

I love the idea of a 45 second shot clock. I have seen several teams this season hold the ball for at least 90 seconds. I agree totally with Boom, we should be trying to prepare the girls for the next level !

I would also agree that if it was part of the game you would hardly ever see a violation. It would simply keep the game moving.

You could carry that reasoning all the way to grade school basketball. Lets see the 2nd grade league presses all game so to get the Kindergartners ready for the next level, they should press all game. A lot of rules are determined by level of play. And believe me their is huge difference between college and high school. I am in the camp of no shot clock for high school. Boys or girls.

AAU nationals, college, big showcase events use it. Why not get them ready for a shot at the next level.

 

:fight:

What percentage of girls high school basketball players in Kentucky play at the next level? 20%?? 15%?? Like someone else said earlier, rarely does a girls possession last longer than 45 seconds anyway.

I'd like to see a shot clock. Nother scares me more when my daughter's team is up 5 with a couple minutes to go and they go in slow down mode. Usually ends up in a turnover. Drives me crazy!! :scared:

I would hate to see a shot clock used in girls high school basketball. I also believe that shooting percentage would suffer and the number of poor shots taken would skyrocket. I also believe that most high school teams have trouble holding on to the ball for any considerable amount of time without committing a turnover, unless the other team is playing a very soft defense. In that case, the defenders should apply more heat.

 

If slowing down the game is to a team's advantage, then they should give it a shot. If a team is disciplined enough to not turn it over -more power to them. I myself like a fast-paced and high scoring game, but I can also respect a discliplined and methodical style as well. I think its very interesting to watch 2 team compete with differing styles. Its fun to see which of the 2 strategies are ultimately successful.

 

One more comment and I'll get off the soapbox. Many times fans complain of a boring strategy that incorporates a slow-down half-court set. But if my team goes 20-2 with this strategy, you won't find me complaining - and I don't think many of the players will either. After all, the players and coaches want to win at all costs (while hopefully being fair and sportsmanlike). No coach should ever change what he feels to be a good strategy just to appease the fans. IMO a coach that only caters to the whims of the fans will not be successful for long.

 

I certainly hope that all coaches don't want to win at all costs. At the high school level ,imo, we should be trying to teach these young athletes more about life lessons and less about wins and losses.

"Life is not about winning and losing,its about improving yourself inch by inch"-Bill Resler

 

There is a great movie coming out in late Feb. called " The Heart of The Game" The book written by the same coach is a must read for any coach! "The Heart of The Team".

Shot clock? Never. Watch a game and see if shots are taken within a 45, 35, or 30 second period and then make a conclusion. High school needs to be separate from college.

AAU nationals, college, big showcase events use it. Why not get them ready for a shot at the next level.

 

:fight:

Exactly, they use it in AAU and showcases because those girls will be playing college ball---they ARE preparing them for the next level. However, 95% or more of the girls in high school basketball will NOT and it would be bad for a large majority of teams and the game in general.

I always thought it was great to see two teams with totally different styles play each other. I was always intrigued to see which team would control tempo. It is also more fun to watch football teams throw the ball 2 out of every 3 times, but sometimes that may not be your teams strength. Are we going to dictate how someone should play because it is more exciting?

Homeruns are way more exciting than a sacrifice bunt, but I have seen many teams get beat because they don't move runners. Leave the game as is!

  • Author
I have rarely if EVER seen a team hold the ball longer than 45 seconds except maybe at the end of the game while perserving a lead. Usually a turnover or shot occurs way before 45 seconds.

 

 

I regularly see teams hold the ball for 60-90 seconds in Ky. and Ohio games. Just last week, a team held the ball for 1:30 per possession for the majority of the game. If one team is weaker than the other, the coach that has the weaker team simply plays “keep away.” That’s not strategy and it isn’t basketball.

 

Also, it is so boring to watch a team stall the ball the last 3-4 minutes of a half or to end the game. When the game should be at its most exciting crescendo, the coach plays boring keep away. If the weaker team wins, they didn’t win a basketball game, they won the game of keep away.

High school teams do not need a shot clock.... If you don't have a good enough team to force a turnover when a (HIGH SCHOOL) team is trying to stall than they are doing you a favor by running out the clock. Teach the kids to play a little 'D' and 45 seconds will be way to long to expect someone to hold the ball.

I think it would be best to make sure that the score keeper and timer improve their skills before we try to add more confusion to the scoring table with a shock clock operator.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.