2007 Cumberland

theguru

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't this Cumberland's first time to make the playoffs in about 3 or 4 years? They may have beaten Harlan, but that hasn't exactly made them a football powerhouse. They may have had sucess within the county, but they haven't by any means throughout the district. They are usually one of the district's most talented teams. I think a step up in their out of district schedule will pay dividends for them.

They lost to Harlan on a ridiculous kickoff! Harlan kicked the ball off and it hit the middle front man from Cumberland and bounced right back to a Harlan player...Game over

That "ridiculous kickoff", is a play where the #1 desired outcome (planned), is to bounce the ball off a front line player and recover the ball. Of course it doesn't happen often, but Harlan performed it to perfection twice last year. Harlan came back on Cumberland and beat them, second year in a row. Before that it had been 4 years. The Redskins always put a quality team on the field. I think as I've said before, that their team discipline needed work, as they were heavily penalized with personal fouls, and unsportsmanship penalties. The major offender will be I suppose graduating, so hopefully they will be a more disciplined team next year. Reynolds is a good coach. By the way Harlan beat all Harlan County Teams 2 years in a row. That is rarely done.

It's fact that for the last few years Harlan County hasn't been the Meca of football by no stretch of the imagination. What have you done by beating any of them for the last two. As far as the Kickoff, a win is a win is a win and it doesn't really matter how you get it but to say that somehow it was coached up is a little far fetched. But then again Harlan is the Notre Dame of the South. (lol) I guess if anybody would count on it they should?????????

Dragonpappy, the kickoff was a great play by Harlan but I don't think it was coached up by JB "Bowden" Donahue. I think it was more like luck. But still a great play.

guys, think what you like. I said the first desired result was to bounce the ball off a player, I didn't say it didn't take a little fortune for it to go just right. Coaches run drills like this all the time. It happened that Bianchi was a very accurate kicker (lots of soccer in his background). In on side kick situations, if you noticed, Harlan always kicked hard never a lob. Sorry, but like it or not, the play was meant to go that way, but we all know they had to have fortune on their side to be able to recover. Again, it worked twice last year. It didn't work that way sometimes also.

It's fact that for the last few years Harlan County hasn't been the Meca of football by no stretch of the imagination. What have you done by beating any of them for the last two. As far as the Kickoff, a win is a win is a win and it doesn't really matter how you get it but to say that somehow it was coached up is a little far fetched. But then again Harlan is the Notre Dame of the South. (lol) I guess if anybody would count on it they should?????????

sounds a little like sour grapes. What has Harlan done by beating county teams the last two years? Something that hadn't been done in a while. Why would you diminish the kids accomplishment except for jealosy. Prob. won't happen next year for Harlan at least. Let folks have thier accomplishments, even if its not your team. AGain, on the play, think what you like.

sour grapes no! rotten ones maybe (lol) I never meant to take away anything from the kids. Harlan had a good year last year as far as harlan goes i guess.

However, if they are going to keep the title of the Notre Dame of the south they need to advance and make some noise in the playoffs.

Just having some fun Dragonpappy nothing personal.

sour grapes no! rotten ones maybe (lol) I never meant to take away anything from the kids. Harlan had a good year last year as far as harlan goes i guess.

However, if they are going to keep the title of the Notre Dame of the south they need to advance and make some noise in the playoffs.

I will agree with most of your comment and I would like to see Harlan go deeper into the playoffs myself. However, if my memory serves me correctly, Harlan has done the best against out of county competition compared to any of the rest of the county teams. In 1999 they went to the regional championship game (barely lost to Pikeville), in 2000 they went to the semi-finals (lost to Fleming Neon in a blowout), in 2004 they went to the semi-finals (lost by 12-13 to Pikeville), and this year they lost pretty big to Somerset. However, I can't remember the last time Cumberland, Cawood, or Evarts went beyond the first round. So while I agree that I would like to see them get to at least the third round every year, I think that the "Notre Dame of the South" has faired a lot better than the others in the county. Don’t you think so Pappy?

Again, nothing personal, just taking up for my school.

:thumb:

I will agree with most of your comment and I would like to see Harlan go deeper into the playoffs myself. However, if my memory serves me correctly, Harlan has done the best against out of county competition compared to any of the rest of the county teams. In 1999 they went to the regional championship game (barely lost to Pikeville), in 2000 they went to the semi-finals (lost to Fleming Neon in a blowout), in 2004 they went to the semi-finals (lost by 12-13 to Pikeville), and this year they lost pretty big to Somerset. However, I can't remember the last time Cumberland, Cawood, or Evarts went beyond the first round. So while I agree that I would like to see them get to at least the third round every year, I think that the "Notre Dame of the South" has faired a lot better than the others in the county. Don’t you think so Pappy?

Again, nothing personal, just taking up for my school.

:thumb:

Or maybe more of like the "Vanderbilts of the South"

I may be reading this post wrong, but the myth that Harlan is a school full of "rich folks" is just that, a myth. I may have misread this post though, so excuse me if I did. The Harlan budget is held together with bandaids and cross stitches. JB has done well, though, and everyone must admit with small numbers, and a small class A school pool of talent. All us Dragon fans, like everyone for their team, wish we could advance into the late playoff rounds. Since this is a Cumberland thread, I won't tread there again as we have aired it out on the good ole Preps many times about how class A teams rise above mediocrity. Cumberland, along with Evarts, and Harlan next year will be interesting. Harlan will be on a major rebuilding year. Cumberland lost a lot, but always is competitive, and Evarts has the numbers, and just needs, well lets say leadership to get it together. I doubt any one of these three teams will make much noise next year past the county, but who knows? Stranger things have happened. If Coach Perry can get things moving at James A, they may be the next "Kings of the County".