Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mayfield 16 Paducah Tilghman 14

Featured Replies

We could also look at the fact PT had a total of 2 drives in the first 1.5 quarters of second half and had no first downs, multiple incomplete passes and only used 45 seconds. 

Time of possession for Mayfield after halftime and questionable PT play calling won the Birds the game...... again.  

PT is still very young and will get better. Mayfield coaches made halftime adjustments (as they normally do). 

  • Replies 97
  • Views 8.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Most Popular Posts

  • Mr. Neutral
    Mr. Neutral

    Beechwood got my respect times 10 with their generosity with the tornado damage. I thought I lost my mother in the candle factory that night. When I saw the selflessness the beechwood community showed

  • Mayfield should be very proud of their officials.

  • ? Cry me a river, fact is the best team and program wins yet again.  Despite us being short handed you still couldn't beat us.  So you say, if we can't beat'em lets find someone to blame.  I miss

Posted Images

32 minutes ago, Socially Distanced said:

Mayfield coaches made halftime adjustments (as they normally do). 

I've always though that Mayfield was better at this than most teams.

5 hours ago, Brown said:

I’m glad you see that.  

You’re really mad huh? Mayfield had several terrible calls against them in the first half. It really is funny though that you let a high school game get you so torn up and show your true colors.

The beautiful thing about this game was the publicity this game got leading up to Friday. I'm forever a cardinal but I love when the western Kentucky teams are the top dogs. I feel like anything past bowling green doesn’t get attention or the respect that it should as far as sports. This game garnered the attention from all of Kentucky. I wish Paducah nothing but the most success on there journey to another title.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Neutral said:

The beautiful thing about this game was the publicity this game got leading up to Friday. I'm forever a cardinal but I love when the western Kentucky teams are the top dogs. I feel like anything past bowling green doesn’t get attention or the respect that it should as far as sports. This game garnered the attention from all of Kentucky. I wish Paducah nothing but the most success on there journey to another title.

I thought Tilghman was pretty good but a little sloppy.

Mayfield gets all the respect in the world from this Beechwood fan, they have owned us over the years until recently. 

45 minutes ago, theguru said:

I thought Tilghman was pretty good but a little sloppy.

Mayfield gets all the respect in the world from this Beechwood fan, they have owned us over the years until recently. 

Beechwood got my respect times 10 with their generosity with the tornado damage. I thought I lost my mother in the candle factory that night. When I saw the selflessness the beechwood community showed during our time of need, I couldn’t do nothing but give praise. I’ll forever be grateful.

Bottom line the kids for both teams played their hearts out some so intense they couldn't control their emotions, some so hard to have potential major injuries.  This game was a good measuring stick for both teams going forward for what they are both chasing which is a state title.  We as fans of one side or the other or maybe just don't like one side or the other will always find faults or reasons that the game went one way or the other.  No one is perfect and to blame an official or group is the exact reason there is a shortage of officials.  This was a classic and this game has controversy every single year that it is close as most close games do.  I chose to say good luck to both hope to see both at Koger Field!!!

It’s not the penalties because we had tons of personal fouls and mayfield had a ton of false starts but it was marking of the ball and turnovers that we got shafted on.

5 minutes ago, Category_F5 said:

It’s not the penalties because we had tons of personal fouls and mayfield had a ton of false starts but it was marking of the ball and turnovers that we got shafted on.

Welcome to BGP @Category_F5!

37 minutes ago, Category_F5 said:

It’s not the penalties because we had tons of personal fouls and mayfield had a ton of false starts but it was marking of the ball and turnovers that we got shafted on.

It's a little thing that really has minimal impact, but I noticed the official spotting the ball for the snap would put the end of the ball on the line, not the nose of the ball. I thought that was odd. Basically that gives a team the length of the ball more yardage. Like I said, minimal but an odd thing I noticed.

The one spot on fourth down was not handled well. The two sideline officials were off a yard on the spot. The official closest to the runner (PT sideline) clearly was a yard further downfield with his spot. He did not run up to the spot to make sure it was marked right. He stood halfway between the ball and the sideline. When the ball was spotted a yard behind where he had his foot, he did nothing. The sideline official on the other side moved into where the ball was and his spot is the one that was used, even though IMO the other official had a better view. I will say from what I could see in the video, it looked to me like the ball was spotted properly. The reason there is controversy is because the PT sideline official had his foot spotted about one yard further down field. 

I am not an official so I can't say how that should be handled. Should that PT sideline official have rushed into the pile to spot the ball where he thought it should be? How do you handle a spot when there is a yard difference between where the two sideline officials mark forward progress? 

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

It's a little thing that really has minimal impact, but I noticed the official spotting the ball for the snap would put the end of the ball on the line, not the nose of the ball. I thought that was odd. Basically that gives a team the length of the ball more yardage. Like I said, minimal but an odd thing I noticed.

The one spot on fourth down was not handled well. The two sideline officials were off a yard on the spot. The official closest to the runner (PT sideline) clearly was a yard further downfield with his spot. He did not run up to the spot to make sure it was marked right. He stood halfway between the ball and the sideline. When the ball was spotted a yard behind where he had his foot, he did nothing. The sideline official on the other side moved into where the ball was and his spot is the one that was used, even though IMO the other official had a better view. I will say from what I could see in the video, it looked to me like the ball was spotted properly. The reason there is controversy is because the PT sideline official had his foot spotted about one yard further down field. 

I am not an official so I can't say how that should be handled. Should that PT sideline official have rushed into the pile to spot the ball where he thought it should be? How do you handle a spot when there is a yard difference between where the two sideline officials mark forward progress? 

The official on Paducah side was on the far side. The ball was on the hash short side so the official with the best view short side field always spots the ball. Very close on both calls I can see why Paducah thinks they got the short end of the stick but I think both calls were correct. Interference that one could not have been called but the ball was under thrown which caused slight contact. Tuff break for sure. 

I have always been wrong on my spots from the stands, as well as on the sidelines, is it possible the lines are not straight?

I'm just now getting a chance to unpack all of this. 

Anytime Mayfield and Tilghman are this good at the same time and the game lives up to the hype and is decided by such a slim margin, there's going to be some post-game heat aimed at someone - officials, Morris, etc. In this case, both.

At the end of the day, what happened, happened and can't be undone. I always prefer to keep my eyes focused upward and onward. 

The biggest takeaway for me, was that this game was everything I hoped it would be from a competitive standpoint. I said before the game that Tilghman needed to win for the greater good of the rivalry, but this was the next best thing. A little home cooking and a whole lot of grit from both teams will keep this one on the tips of our tongues for a while to come. 

We have the luxury of lingering on the controversy, but the teams have to turn the page quickly. Tilghman, especially, has to put this one in the rearview with the schedule they have coming up. This could be a well timed bye week. I'm sure Malachi Rider could use an extra week to recover from his 31 carries against a tough tackling Mayfield squad. For that matter, both sides brought it, defensively. Not many plays ended without pads popping and ball carriers fighting for extra yards. 

Hopefully this was a sign of things to come for this rivalry for the foreseeable future. It was a joy to watch. Very grateful to the guys responsible for Red Helmet Video on YouTube for allowing us all a seat at War Memorial to take in the latest chapter in this storied rivalry. It won't soon be forgotten.

I watched that game broadcast:

1. Tilghman definitely got the short end of the stick from officiating. Hate it for them as you could tell they wanted this win badly, but playing on the road you have to be ready for it. It wasn't anything bizarre or malicious happening. There were a few calls that seemed to go Tilghman's way that were questionable, but if we were looking at judgement calls I would say it was about 80-20 in favor of the Cards. The line judge struggled, but to be fair he consistently struggled all night on both sides of the ball. All night he was marking the ball and forward momentum further than it appeared to gain. It was just that a couple of the most obvious and key moments where you need to get it right is when he definitely failed. There seemed to also be a hair trigger on flags for yapping. It is an emotional, rivalry game, that was evenly fought... be firm but give the kids room to have emotion. The game never teetered on the verge of losing control or dirty play, no need to throw 15 yard flags that effect the outcome of drives.

2. Mayfield still did the small things that won the game in the end. They played like a team used to beating PT and at times PT played like a team used to being beat by Mayfield. I felt Tilghman forced a few things and tried to force balance a little too much. Mayfield couldn't stop Rider but the Cards' secondary clearly had the talent to match up with the PT receivers. My issue isn't in the balance of plays: It was over 2:1 rushes to passes, but I do think I would have liked to have seen a little more complimentary passes dialed up. The vertical passing game wasn't there. More hitches, slants, or a designed check down to Rider may have had a little more success.

3. Mayfield also suffered from a similar affliction. Seemed they really were trying to force the Wildcat, especially in the red zone. Tilghman played them really tough in the run game. Would have either liked to see some zone with Starks or bring the accurate Cartwright and trust him to get the ball on the money and force a DB to make a play. Tilghman completely sold out and knew where the Wildcat run lanes were.

4. I came away further confident that Tilghman is a legitimate 3A Title favorite and I came away that Mayfield was clearly one of the four best 2A teams in the State but still need a lot of work to close the gap to Beechwood and LCA.

 

I was in the stands at the game.  Rewatched on Red Helmet video later on to catch anything I missed.  As previously mentioned, not sure why PT didn't keep running the ball.  They were wearing Mayfield down and Cards were dropping left and right with cramping.  Not to mention, PT would starting throwing and give the ball back to the cards via an INT.  I hated Mayfield's redzone wildcat package.  It wasn't fooling anyone.  They would have been better off keeping the regular QB in and throwing the ball.

As far as the emotion of the game and the refs, I don't have much good to say so I will keep it short.  I've watched PT play football for decades now, and I don't think I've ever watched a game where they displayed such a low level of class and respect for the game, or their opponent.  It was particularly disturbing watching how #71 acted after Jax Rodgers got hurt and limped off the field.  As far as the refs go, everyone has been on a team or rooted for one where they thought the refs screwed them, me included.  But it can't be left up to the refs.  Don't like the spot of the ball on your 4th and short??  Get more yards next time and leave no doubt.  Don't like getting personal fouls called on you or your team??  Then shut your mouth and play ball.  Let your game do the talking.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.