Paducah Tilghman at Mayfield Predictions/Updates

Paducah Tilghman at Mayfield   

57 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 09/03/2022 at 12:00 AM

31 minutes ago, WKY_Football said:

Should be a great game. Would not surprise me to see both of these teams representing Western KY in Lexington. 

Mayfield 28

Paducah 14

This Mayfield defense is LEGIT. 

One of the best defenses I’ve seen out of a Mayfield team in years.

I remember saying that PT was going to be good in a couple of years...  That Junior class has lived up to expectations so far.  They are re-creating a winning culture and should be really good the next several years.

With that being said... Mayfield is the standard, regardless of class, in Western KY.  Their defense seems to be clicking on all cylinders.

Mayfield 24

Paducah 14

• Like 1

This is a tough one to call.  Both are 2-0 vs 0-2 squads.  At this point I think Graves and Hoptown are both decent squads.  The common opponet is Graves who played with both for awhile but wore down against both.  Hoptown got shell scocked at the start against Mayfield or might have kept it more respectable.  I will take Mayfield by 14. 

• Like 1

The Cards D is getting alot of love and for good reason, they have been great!  Rodgers, after being all state as a Frosh then missing 2 years to injury has really stood out.  He should wear a cape.  The secondary has also looked great across the board.  

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Toothpick said:

The Cards D is getting alot of love and for good reason, they have been great!  Rodgers, after being all state as a Frosh then missing 2 years to injury has really stood out.  He should wear a cape.  The secondary has also looked great across the board.  

Tilghman will have to do what they've been doing to keep up in this one as far as spreading it around. The first week, Jack James had completions to 7 different receivers, the 2nd week he completed passes to 8 different receivers. You don't see that a lot in high school. 

Last year PT relied on the 2 big receivers they had. The key to this year is finding matchups outside of Mayfield's best defenders to exploit with just the volume of people they have who possibly could make a play. If Tilghman can't get several of those plays, it could spell trouble. 

A whole lot easier said than done, I know. Any time you go up against a Joe Morris coached team, it's a completely different level. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TilghmanPride said:

Tilghman will have to do what they've been doing to keep up in this one as far as spreading it around. The first week, Jack James had completions to 7 different receivers, the 2nd week he completed passes to 8 different receivers. You don't see that a lot in high school. 

Last year PT relied on the 2 big receivers they had. The key to this year is finding matchups outside of Mayfield's best defenders to exploit with just the volume of people they have who possibly could make a play. If Tilghman can't get several of those plays, it could spell trouble. 

A whole lot easier said than done, I know. Any time you go up against a Joe Morris coached team, it's a completely different level. 

He may have completed the ball to 8 WR against Graves but it was for less than 100 yards and most of those came at the end of the game when PT was throwing screens for no reason when they should have been handing the ball off to run the clock out.  If PT wants to win this game they must run the ball successfully because if they get into 2nd and 3rd and longs Mayfield will have a plan to attack protection and matches up even better with the WR than Graves did.

• Like 1

PT will easily have the most potent offense that Mayfield will see in the regular season, so this game will be a good indicator of how stout Mayfield's defense really is.  If Mayfield has a weakness right now, its consistentcy on offense.  Outside of Starks with a couple big plays each game, the offensive consistentcy just isn't there.  Passing game is hit or miss.  I think Mayfield wins a low scoring affair, but a shootout would defintely lean in PT's favor.  I do see the difference in Mayfield the last couple of years versus this year, and that would be team play.  This year everyone seems to be filling their role well, playing together, and there is quite a bit of depth on both sides of the ball.  Defense has been great, but we will see Friday night if that's more about the quality of opponent, or maybe they really are that good.

• Like 2

I am torn on attending this game or going and watching Graves at McCracken. I have seen both teams play and they are very similar. With that being said Paducah looks better, but Mayfield plays better. There is a ton of pressure on this PT class, but I think its unfair to ignore the pressure on the Mayfield kids. These kids have lost to PT in middle school and know the streak is on the line. If Paducah is able to run it with #7, they win. I don't believe they will be able to though and will depend way too much on the pass game, therefore I give the edge to Mayfield 28-14.

• Like 1

I also feel like this game has huge implications on Mayfield in the playoffs. Some might say it is too early, but I don't see another team on their schedule who will give them a game. They win this one, then they could be playing at home in the final four. If they lose it could be back to Beechwood or to Lexington. Huge for them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, gcbleedblue said:

I also feel like this game has huge implications on Mayfield in the playoffs. Some might say it is too early, but I don't see another team on their schedule who will give them a game. They win this one, then they could be playing at home in the final four. If they lose it could be back to Beechwood or to Lexington. Huge for them.

That’s a really good point. 

2 hours ago, gcbleedblue said:

What about the playoff implications for PT?

IF this team stays healthy, they will be an extremely tough out for any team and they have a shot at a title.

We will see Friday night if this team is for real.

• Like 2