Frederick Douglass: Fools Gold or Gold?

Bac2369

Which are they?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. Which are they?

23 minutes ago, PurplePride92 said:

I get that people don’t like Freddy D and that it will affect the way they view them.  Their rise reminds me of South Warren’s.  

Agree and Disagree.

To me, it's not that people don't like Fredrick Douglas, it's that they are picked first in the preseason and season long polls and then come up short consistently compared to the D1 guys they regularly roster.  I realize that happens (all too much), but year after year causes "over-rating" fatigue, especially in a short timeframe.

I think Fredrick Douglas is a very good program in an area (Lexington) that desperately needs positive results.  The Broncos have given the Lexington area something to be proud of and their programs fans should be proud of that.

But the only comparison with South is they are both younger programs who have had success.  But South Warrens success has come with 3 Championships.  Right, wrong or indifferent that puts them on a different tier.

I think FD can win it all this year.  As @Hungover_in_Andover said, they need to find a QB.  But that DLine will win them games by themselves this year.  Maybe not the biggest games, but alot of games while the new QB gets up to speed.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

Agree and Disagree.

To me, it's not that people don't like Fredrick Douglas, it's that they are picked first in the preseason and season long polls and then come up short consistently compared to the D1 guys they regularly roster.  I realize that happens (all too much), but year after year causes "over-rating" fatigue, especially in a short timeframe.

I think Fredrick Douglas is a very good program in an area (Lexington) that desperately needs positive results.  The Broncos have given the Lexington area something to be proud of and their programs fans should be proud of that.

But the only comparison with South is they are both younger programs who have had success.  But South Warrens success has come with 3 Championships.  Right, wrong or indifferent that puts them on a different tier.

I think FD can win it all this year.  As @Hungover_in_Andover said, they need to find a QB.  But that DLine will win them games by themselves this year.  Maybe not the biggest games, but alot of games while the new QB gets up to speed.

That’s what I was alluding to.  

I don't put them in Fools Gold because they are a good program with some incredible players but over the last 3 season they have had multiple Power 5 players and several FBS players who are not just attending college and on the football team but are starting or contributing.  There is not another team in the state that has had the run of talent that FD has had.  Something just seems to be missing to get them over that hump in the big ones.  I do believe their schedule hurts them down the stretch which they cannot do much about because they are required to play so many Lexington schools.  I like that they are playing Boyle but they need to get another power on the schedule if possible like a Male, St. X, or Trinity.

• Like 1

What defines a great program? Is it just trophies? Or is the development of young men to help them achieve their goals and aspirations? If it’s trophies then perhaps FD has fallen short. If it’s the development of young men and to help them achieve their goals and aspirations then they are among the best in the state. Coach Landis laid the foundation and I believe Coach McPeek has done an outstanding job. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, zoneblitz24 said:

.  I do believe their schedule hurts them down the stretch which they cannot do much about because they are required to play so many Lexington schools.  I like that they are playing Boyle but they need to get another power on the schedule if possible like a Male, St. X, or Trinity.

This part is true but with their now 5 team district and they are also required to play the other 5 city schools so that only leaves them one regular season to game to play for the past 4 years now. They have played LCA, Lexington Catholic and now will be playing Boyle Co. for the 2nd year. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tigerallamerican said:

What defines a great program? Is it just trophies? Or is the development of young men to help them achieve their goals and aspirations? If it’s trophies then perhaps FD has fallen short. If it’s the development of young men and to help them achieve their goals and aspirations then they are among the best in the state. Coach Landis laid the foundation and I believe Coach McPeek has done an outstanding job. 

It’s trophies.  Otherwise just about every program would be in there for your qualifications listed.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

FD will be right in the hunt for their 1st state title again this year but it is going to come down I think in the end to quarterback play.  2 of the top 4 teams in the state in 5A are finally trying to get that proverbial monkey off their back with FD finally taking home a title and Owensboro trying to end that long streak of not winning one since 1986.  

• Like 1

• theguru changed the title to Frederick Douglass: Fools Gold or Gold?