Jump to content

Frederick Douglass: Fools Gold or Gold?


Which are they?  

25 members have voted

  1. 1. Which are they?



Recommended Posts

It has been no strange thing to see Frederick Douglass at the top in the Class 5A polls over the past several seasons. One thing that has escaped them is winning that elusive championship. They seem to be on fire during the regular season, then bow out  in the playoffs. Which leads to me to question are they Fools Gold? Or are they going to be Gold and bring that Championship Gold in 2022? Tell me your thoughts and opinions.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From where we stand, 5A looks more "there for the taking" than it ever has for Douglass. Once again, they're loaded to the gills with D1 kids. No one in the class can match them in that regard, but clearly they've been matched and exceeded in other facets of the game. Until they get over the hump, I'll continue to have doubts. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Tigerpride94 said:

I think Owensboro is the team this year in 5A so I will take fools gold, but I think they will eventually get gold.

If there's a 2021 South Warren type of team out there this year to foil Douglass again, Owensboro might be the best candidate. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

They fall into the gotta prove it to me category on my list. They've had some decent success, but for the talent they are hyped to have I think they have come up well short. So they are fool's gold right now. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, DevilMayCare said:

If there's a 2021 South Warren type of team out there this year to foil Douglass again, Owensboro might be the best candidate. 

I keep hearing Owensboro may be the best 5A team in the state. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Killowatt59 said:

I keep hearing Owensboro may be the best 5A team in the state. 

They have the pieces to be there in December playing for all the marbles. Wimsatt bailing on them last year may end up being a blessing in disguise for this year's team. It allowed his backup basically a full season of starting experience. There's no question mark hovering over that position. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think that FD has had more talent than almost anybody in the state for the last few season but have just came up short and something seems to be missing to get them over the hump.  My pick in 5A this season is Owensboro.  They are talented, deep, well coached, and play with an edge that many teams cannot match.  Their only issue seems to be playing on the road.  At home Owensboro is almost impossible to beat so I believe beating them this season you will have to get them out of their backyard.  If you gotta go there good luck.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gold.  They made the finals last year.  That’s good enough for me.  If they are fool’s gold for making the finals last season then the rest of 5A must be dog doo doo.  
 

I know this thread is asking what they will be this year but I think they have easily earned the right to be considered one of the top teams in 5A. How being one of the top teams is fool’s gold is beyond me.   

  • Like 3
  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, PurplePride92 said:

Gold.  They made the finals last year.  That’s good enough for me.  If they are fool’s gold for making the finals last season then the rest of 5A must be dog doo doo.  
 

I know this thread is asking what they will be this year but I think they have easily earned the right to be considered one of the top teams in 5A. How being one of the top teams is fool’s gold is beyond me.   

If in 5 years of having a program with the first 2 years being in 6A and the past 3 being 5A and having a 55-9 record in those 5 years. Also in those 5 years having 2 state final appearances 1 semi-final, 1 quarterfinal and one 2nd round loss. If that is nothing more than fools gold I would say there would be a lot of school that would take that type of fools gold every day and twice on Sunday. JMO 🙂

The first two years 2017 & 2018 while in 6A were 21-4 with a state quarter-final and a 2nd round loss. In the three years the Broncos have played in 5A they have made the finals twice and the semifinals the other year.

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

If in 5 years of having a program with the first 2 years being in 6A and the past 3 being 5A and having a 55-9 record in those 5 years. Also in those 5 years having 2 state final appearances 1 semi-final, 1 quarterfinal and one 2nd round loss. If that is nothing more than fools gold I would say there would be a lot of school that would take that type of fools gold every day and twice on Sunday. JMO 🙂

The first two years 2017 & 2018 while in 6A were 21-4 with a state quarter-final and a 2nd round loss. In the three years the Broncos have played in 5A they have made the finals twice and the semifinals the other year.

Exactly!  If this is fool’s gold………image.png.441b6000752b0090667dc779335871aa.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, PurplePride92 said:

Exactly!  If this is fool’s gold………image.png.441b6000752b0090667dc779335871aa.png

Well if you've paid any attention you will know how weak their schedule is. So that overall record is definitely fool's gold.

But the main question is does their success match their talent and hype? The answer to that right now is definitely NO. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Killowatt59 said:

Well if you've paid any attention you will know how weak their schedule is. So that overall record is definitely fool's gold.

But the main question is does their success match their talent and hype? The answer to that right now is definitely NO. 

I get that people don’t like Freddy D and that it will affect the way they view them.  Their rise reminds me of South Warren’s.  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • theguru changed the title to Frederick Douglass: Fools Gold or Gold?
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.