Jump to content

What games are you looking forward to most this season?


Recommended Posts

Every year, long before the schedules are released, you can point to certain games that have a "must see" quality. They're typically rivalry games that we see every season, but I'm moving away from the usual suspects. Below are six games from the 2022 docket that involve schools that have either never met or don't hook up often. Something fresh, although one of the games featured below was one of last year's high points of opening weekend and should be again. There's a hook for each game that should draw in viewers, listeners, and BGP browsers from Pikeville to Paducah. 

 

St. Xavier vs. Owensboro in Louisville (August 19th)

Last year's encounter - the first in 57 years - had the hype and pregame buildup of a state championship game in Week 1. And it didn't disappoint. The Tigers prevailed in a 51-38 shootout behind six Jack Sivori touchdowns, negating a great performance by O's Gavin Wimsatt. St. X, of course, reached the summit of 6A last year for the first time in twelve years. The Tigers and Red Devils both look primed for runs at a state title this year and should start the season highly ranked in their respective classes, making this another must see game for opening weekend.

 

Pikeville vs. Covington Catholic in Pikeville (Pike County Bowl) on August 27th

Covington Catholic made a rare trip to the mountains last year for the Pike County Bowl and laid a beating on eventual 3A champion Belfry. This time, the Colonels return to the far reaches of EKY to tangle with the reigning kings of 1A. This marks the first ever meeting between these traditional powers. Both programs broke through on a statewide level at the same time. Each claimed their first state title in 1987 and then repeated the next year. The Panthers should start the season #1 in their class and CovCath is CovCath. The Colonels' run defense will be put to the test right out of the gate by last year's state rushing leader Blake Birchfield and a big, experienced Pikeville offensive line.

 

Boyle County vs. Bryan Station in Danville (Rebel Bowl) on August 27th

Like the Pike County Bowl, this one comes about after a swap of bowl game opponents from last year. I was a little surprised to see that these two had never met before. Boyle County looks to be in the 4A driver's seat again with Station riding passenger in 6A. But fret not, Defenders, that's not meant as a dig at your team. Everyone in 6A outside of Jefferson County is in the same position. Station will once again be in the conversation for best non-Louisville team in our biggest class, meaning they should have the horses to match up with the Rebels.

 

Trinity vs. Center Grove (IN) in St. Matthews on September 2nd

First ever meeting? Couldn't find evidence they've met before. Chances are, if you're reading this, you're well versed in the accomplishments and reputation of Trinity football. Their standard of excellence is golden in the Bluegrass state. Center Grove is crafting its own standard in the Hoosier state, nailing down back to back state titles and running off 28 straight wins along the way. They unloaded a copious amount of talent during their June graduation ceremony, but should once again be a factor in Indiana's biggest classification. This is merely one of several marquee games on a schedule that doesn't allow a breather for the Rocks until maybe October. 

 

Highlands vs. Raceland in Fort Thomas on September 9th

When scanning Highlands' schedule, this one may have prompted some head scratching from Birds fans. Why would Highlands bother with a 1A school, save for maybe Pikeville? Short answer: The Rams should be good. Maybe very good. Raceland knows it, and I think Highlands does too. Who knows how it'll play out? The visitors from Greenup County may very well be outgunned in the end, but they're a legit 1A contender and should at the very least make the Birds remember them. This is a Raceland team that only loses two seniors from a 12 win semi-finalist last year. This is a fresh faced matchup we've never seen before and I, for one, am here for it.

 

South Warren vs. Paducah Tilghman in Bowling Green on September 16th

They've met twice before, splitting a home and home in 2013/2014. The Spartans have claimed three state titles and become one of the state's sturdiest programs since then. Tilghman enters 2022 as a 3A favorite, while question marks abound for South Warren, following heavy graduation losses from last year's championship squad. With the Blue Tornado trending up and the Spartans potentially taking a step backwards this year, the two could meet in the middle for an instant classic.

 

These are merely the games that grabbed my attention as the schedules have rolled out. Those six contests are just scratching the surface of what this season has in store, so let's see what the rest of BGP is looking forward to. They don't have to meet a certain criteria. Just any and all games on the schedule this year that you would circle with a bright red marker.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Central travelling to Belfry will be an interesting game to take note of.

Pikeville vs. Corbin is some very good opening week junk food for the HS Football fan.

The Mayfield/Tilghman rivalry may be back in full force this season.

Great Crossing/Scott County has me very interested to see if the new school can get over the hump.

Johnson Central at Ironton, OH also catches my eye for an out of State game. These teams have met before a few times but it was seemingly when Ironton wasn't really Ironton. The Fighting Tigers seem to be back as a powerhouse so you may get the best of Southern Ohio and the best of Eastern Kentucky.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Great Thread DMC!  

I love the Owensboro v X game too and plan to go!

Other games to watch:

Highlands v South Warren - a lot is "expected" from both teams, but both will be wanting to get in the win column early.  Who will?

Bowling Green v Boyle County - BG was blown out last year at Boyle.  Can they compete this year?  Will be fun to find out.

Male vs Manual - This game has been one sided for the last little bit.  Male lost a ton to graduation.  Could Manual get a win this year with their new coach?  

St X v Trinity - Always a great game and better atmosphere.  If you haven't been before, you should go this year.  Both teams will be VERY good!

South Warren at Bowling Green - The district is usually on the line when these 2 play and it should be again.  Also with the cross-districting coming back into play this season, the loser of this game very likely goes to Rash Stadium Week 2.  Neither team would choose that this year.  Makes an already big rivalry game even more important.  This will be the first time South will play at BG's new field.

 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Boyle vs. Freddie D, the sequel.

Boyle vs. Danville.  First time in 3 seasons

Bullitt East vs. Male.

Boyle vs. Bryan Station.

Bullitt East vs. Graves Co.

Boyle vs. Bowling Green.

Madison Central vs. Pikeville.

Corbin vs. Pikeville.

Corbin vs. Franklin Co.

 

I agree, good topic DMC.

 

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Purple88 said:

South Warren at Bowling Green - The district is usually on the line when these 2 play and it should be again.  Also with the cross-districting coming back into play this season, the loser of this game very likely goes to Rash Stadium Week 2.  Neither team would choose that this year.  Makes an already big rivalry game even more important.  This will be the first time South will play at BG's new field.

 

BG/SW is a personal favorite of mine. In fact, I like it so much I did a thread on it last year.

 

In the short time the two have been playing, we've gotten some great games, some not so great games, throwback defensive slugfests, and a Spartan implosion a couple of years ago. South Warren swept both games last year to pull in front by a nose, 5-4 in the series. Does the pendulum swing back in BG's favor this year? I'm looking for the rivalry to be very competitive this year.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Trinity at Moeller (OH)

Moeller is preseason #2 in Ohio and a top contender for Ohio D1 Championship. Trinity knocked off St. Xavier (OH) last year and Trinity looks improved this year. Should be a great game!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Very interested in the Highlands vs Raceland and Cov Cath vs Pikeville games. Two big NKY powers against the small schools of EKY. I think the blue teams might be surprised at what they signed up for (Cov Cath a little less surprised). 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, hector607 said:

Very interested in the Highlands vs Raceland and Cov Cath vs Pikeville games. Two big NKY powers against the small schools of EKY. I think the blue teams might be surprised at what they signed up for (Cov Cath a little less surprised). 

I am very interested in these two games too.  I like it when the good teams spread it around and play each other.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, ATLCat said:

Central travelling to Belfry will be an interesting game to take note of.

Pikeville vs. Corbin is some very good opening week junk food for the HS Football fan.

The Mayfield/Tilghman rivalry may be back in full force this season.

Great Crossing/Scott County has me very interested to see if the new school can get over the hump.

Johnson Central at Ironton, OH also catches my eye for an out of State game. These teams have met before a few times but it was seemingly when Ironton wasn't really Ironton. The Fighting Tigers seem to be back as a powerhouse so you may get the best of Southern Ohio and the best of Eastern Kentucky.

PT is def closing the gap on Mayfield.  The streak has to be broken at some point.  PT has their best squad in quite some time so this year might just be the year.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, BadaBing said:

PT is def closing the gap on Mayfield.  The streak has to be broken at some point.  PT has their best squad in quite some time so this year might just be the year.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, BEChargers said:

Boyle vs. Freddie D, the sequel.

Boyle vs. Danville.  First time in 3 seasons

Bullitt East vs. Male.

Boyle vs. Bryan Station.

Bullitt East vs. Graves Co.

Boyle vs. Bowling Green.

Madison Central vs. Pikeville.

Corbin vs. Pikeville.

Corbin vs. Franklin Co.

 

I agree, good topic DMC.

 

 

 

I'm not sure the Boyle/Bowling Green game will be much. BG is still about a season or two away from being on that elite level.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.