Beechwood/LCA Part III?

Beechwood vs. LCA III?  

55 members have voted

1. 1. Will anyone stop a third straight Beechwood/LCA 2A title tilt?

• No, the Tigers and Eagles are simply too good
    • Yes, Mayfield will take one of them out
    • Yes, but someone other than Mayfield

Losing Cam Hergott, Xavier Brown, Mason Moore, and Luke Slusher would send most programs into rebuilding mode, but Beechwood and LCA fall firmly under the "they don't rebuild, they reload" cliche. Despite heavy graduation losses, both squads appear locked and loaded again. The two time defending champions return one of the best two-way players in the state, Mitchell Berger, and made waves with the addition of four star CB/ATH Antonio Robinson. Landing the Wake Forest commit should solidify Beechwood's hold on 2A's preseason #1 ranking. LCA's dynamic offensive attack added some future FBS flavor of its own during the off-season in the form of blue chip quarterback prospect Cutter Boley. He should find talent aplenty to distribute the ball to.

The rest of Class 2A looks mostly unsettled. Mayfield rising from the rubble in the west would be a welcome, or perhaps expected, sight. The Card faithful seem high on this team's potential, but expectations are always to the moon for the red and black. The other school in 2A with brand name recognition is Danville. The Ads were solid last year, but the gap between them and district mate LCA was still cavernous. Beyond that, you're looking at programs that have proven to be a step or three behind the upper echelon of 2A: Owensboro Catholic, Middlesboro, West Carter, and Green County, to name a few.

If anyone is going to spoil a Beechwood/LCA 3-peat, the safe pick is obviously Mayfield. If someone other than the Cards pulls it off, it would require a fairytale postseason run the likes of which we haven't seen in some time. From where we stand right now, the tea leaves suggest it'll be the same song, different verse.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, theguru said:

As I sit here right now it is LCA and Beechwood, everyone else is an afterthought...

I like the outlook for a 2A trilogy at Kroger Field, but I'm not ready to call this guy an afterthought. At least not yet... or to his face. 😂

istockphoto-603854832-612x612.jpg.064adfe86eb58e80afddcf382ada378b.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, DevilMayCare said:

I like the outlook for a 2A trilogy at Kroger Field, but I'm not ready to call this guy an afterthought. At least not yet... or to his face. 😂

istockphoto-603854832-612x612.jpg.064adfe86eb58e80afddcf382ada378b.jpg

That guy looks pretty tough but I haven't seen him in awhile. 

• Like 2

I honestly think it will take a prefect game and some mistakes for anyone to beat beechwood this year in 2a, including LCA. I think Mayfield will be solid, but not sure they have the horses to beat either Beechwood or LCA, but I never count out Big Red and believe they will make a game of it with anyone they play. 

Green County will be better than last year, and have some new kids out who should help right away, but I am honest in the fact the Dragons don't match up well with Beechwood, and I would for sure rather see them match up with LCA than Beechwood. The Dragons also would have to clear a hurdle of Mayfield more than likely as well, and we saw how that turned out last year. Just super excited to see some great football in a few short weeks. 

• Like 1

I would have to see LCA's offense with the new QB. One thing for sure is they competed in 7x7 at EKU very well. Mayfield will close the gap IMO. Before I can pick I got to watch some games to see what they look like. 

Mayfield should be greatly improved but I feel like they are fighting with their hands tied behind their back from tornado departures.  Then BW and LCA get some very high end transfers.  I would not count Mayfield out but they have alot to overcome.    

58 minutes ago, BBN_34 said:

Who does LCA have outside Boley? They lost quite a bit of production if I remember correctly.

Drew Nieves (ATH) is transitioning from quarterback to basically wherever LCA needs him. Super versatile and selfless leader.

J'Veontae Emerson (RB) is a bulldozer (6'1"/225lbs) with nimble feet and good acceleration. Won't have to run in the shadow of Xavier Brown. Also plays some defense.

Parker Chaney (ATH) earned praise on the summer camp circuit as a DB. Intercepted six passes last year as a sophomore.

Garrison McKinney (OL) and Chase Couch (DE, and Tim's son) have D1 offers.

I'm sure someone more "in the know" can elaborate further, but those kids are a good place to start.

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Cheese said:

I would have to see LCA's offense with the new QB. One thing for sure is they competed in 7x7 at EKU very well. Mayfield will close the gap IMO. Before I can pick I got to watch some games to see what they look like.

I've left the poll open, so there's no expiration date on it. We can revisit this thread throughout the season.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, DearToday said:

If I had to pick right now I’d go with LCA over Beechwood. I think Boley will have more impact than Robinson. 

I will throw some more controversy (and fun discussion) in here. Don't be surprised if Beechwood's sophomore QB Clay Hayden has a better season than Boley.

Side note: Why isn't Boley listed on LCA's roster posted on the KHSAA scoreboard site?

11 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Side note: Why isn't Boley listed on LCA's roster posted on the KHSAA scoreboard site?

I wouldn't read too much into that. It looks like they've rolled last year's roster over to this year but haven't made the necessary changes to finalize it. Jeremiah Riffle's name is still there, but he's left LCA for West Virginia.

• Thanks 1

I can’t help but think of Beechwood’s Defense from last year, adding an Elite D1 Talent being the reason they don’t lose if it comes down to the trilogy. The Tigers Defense hardly lost any starters and gained the highest rated defensive talent in the state. Who wouldn’t love to see Robinson/Berger/Waddell and company go against a top level talent like Boley? 

• Like 2

It will be tough for the smaller town/ County 2a teams to be able to compete with what LCA and BW bring to the table. Tough spot for Mayfield, Danville, Middlesboro, Murray, Somerset, etc. It is the way of the world sometimes though, the rich get richer. LCA and BW will be fantastic and it should be rather shocking if it’s not a 3 peat