If Mark Stoops leaves...

Jumper_Dad

19 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

I think Mitch Barnhart looks at things a little differently than going after a big name that has floated around college football. If you look at the Stoops hire, Mark wasn't necessarily a big up and coming name in college football but more of a personality. He had the name, yes; but more because of his brother than anything. I think Mitch would want someone to embrace the "back against the wall" and "why not us" attitude that Stoops has instilled in the program. 

With that said, I think a few names to consider are: 

1. Luke Fickell - Luke seems to be a "lunch pail" guy that would fit in to the culture that Stoops has created. UC fans can laugh at this idea all they want, but facts are facts and the new and short lived Big 12 is nothing special;  resources at UK compared to UC are night and day, and the ceiling at UK is so much higher than UC. Plus Lexington is close enough to suit Mrs. Fickell. Strong recruiter.  

2. Scott Frost  - Great coach. Very strong recruiter. Nebraska will probably let him go because of their absurd expectations for a program who hasn't done anything significant in 20+ years. Scott will be highly motivated and has that "lets get to work: attitude. 

3. Neal Brown - Obviously has the UK connection and has done some solid things at WVU and I would hope that he would do even better with the resources available to him at UK. I have always gotten the impression that Neal left UK in order to run his own program to build his resume to be the HC at UK. I would guess that he wants this job BAD! 

3. Liam Coen - His offensive mind is clearly on another level. I would be willing to debate that he has been one of the best OC in the country this year, all things considered.  I haven't seen anything at UK close to his offensive development since Hal Mumme. I know it is not fair to him for me to say, but I worry about his lack of HC experience and running a program the size of UK. 

I truly hope Stoops does not leave. However, if he does, there are going to be coaches jumping to get this job. Great money. Recent success to continue recruiting. Great boosters. Realistic expectations. Awesome area to live. 

Very underrated job IMO. 

Just to play devil's advocate on some of these:

1.  I don't think Fickell would take it as I think he's holding out for the Notre Dame or Ohio State jobs or something in that elite tier.  He knows his worth and I don't think he's going to come to Kentucky, but I can see where the location would put him the conversation.  He'll get a call, but I don't see him saying more than a polite "No thank you."

2.  I do think Nebraska would hold onto Frost.  I'm still a believer he could turn it around there despite the headwinds, but time is running out.  However, the team lost all 8 of its Big 10 games this year by a combined 49 points.  So lots of close games got away from them.  All that said, I don't think Frost would be interested in coming here at all.

3.  I haven't been all that impressed by what Brown has done at West Virginia.  He hasn't really been an upgrade over their previous coach.  It'd be cool to have someone from Danville coach UK, though!

Random aside:  Would we give Mike Leach a call for this job?

14 minutes ago, DanvilleFan said:

Just to play devil's advocate on some of these:

1.  I don't think Fickell would take it as I think he's holding out for the Notre Dame or Ohio State jobs or something in that elite tier.  He knows his worth and I don't think he's going to come to Kentucky, but I can see where the location would put him the conversation.  He'll get a call, but I don't see him saying more than a polite "No thank you."

2.  I do think Nebraska would hold onto Frost.  I'm still a believer he could turn it around there despite the headwinds, but time is running out.  However, the team lost all 8 of its Big 10 games this year by a combined 49 points.  So lots of close games got away from them.  All that said, I don't think Frost would be interested in coming here at all.

3.  I haven't been all that impressed by what Brown has done at West Virginia.  He hasn't really been an upgrade over their previous coach.  It'd be cool to have someone from Danville coach UK, though!

Random aside:  Would we give Mike Leach a call for this job?

All very good points. It is a fun "what if" to play. I just hope it doesn't happen as I am a huge Stoops fan. Mike Leach would be interesting. He sure is entertaining, has been at UK before, and the AirRaid was a fan favorite. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

All very good points. It is a fun "what if" to play. I just hope it doesn't happen as I am a huge Stoops fan. Mike Leach would be interesting. He sure is entertaining, has been at UK before, and the AirRaid was a fan favorite. 

I love the Pirate but my gripes against Leach are that he struggles in rivalry games, is prone to weird upsets (but also randomly knocks off top teams to balance it), and the Air Raid requires him to overrecruit receivers so that weakens other parts of the team like the defense.

Like you, I hope Stoops stays.  He's been the architect of the best UK football in my lifetime.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, All State Baseball said:

Heard that the other morning, not sure if Saturday or Sunday morning that Stoops and Barnhart met. Stoops requested 2 things. 

1. New indoor practice facility without a track.

2. Bigger recruiting budget. 

Which translate to...

1) Rip the track out of Nutter and build track their own indoor facility. Currently the track cuts through the corners of the endzone and is right against the sidelines, very dangerous for players transitioning from turf to track.

2) Stoops and crew are tired of flying coach, looking for more private plane time like Cal has.

1 hour ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Which translate to...

1) Rip the track out of Nutter and build track their own indoor facility. Currently the track cuts through the corners of the endzone and is right against the sidelines, very dangerous for players transitioning from turf to track.

2) Stoops and crew are tired of flying coach, looking for more private plane time like Cal has.

1. My guess is Stoops would not accept that, he wants football to have a brand new facility and let track do with the Nutter facility what they want.

2. I don't think the private plane travel is asking too much.  Stoops pay is too high for him to be wasting time in public airports waiting for flights.