Jacob Meyer (Cov-Holy Cross '23) Recruiting

Just now, I gotta go to work said:

He also had offers from NKU and IUPUI. Surprised he committed this early. Congrats to Jacob!

I might be a total fool here, so don't stone me if I'm wrong. Does a commitment really matter until he's signed? I mean, if he balls out and gets a couple different offers he can always flip right? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, FrankNicodemus said:

Correct, this was a "Verbal" commitment...

If that is the case, Coach Horn should put on the full court press on this kid. Be sure he's at your big matchups to see the atmosphere of the arena, etc. He's a local kid, do all you can if they think he can help them win. 

Put him in the floor seats against UNC Greensboro in a couple days. Let him see the speed and size you have/want to compete at up close. 

What I found on google:

• It is not uncommon for a student to verbally commit to one institution and subsequently sign an NLI with another institution. And, on some occasions, a school may accept your verbal commitment and later offer the NLI to another prospective student-athlete. Verbal commitments are at best, a gentleman’s agreement.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChickenWyngz said:

If that is the case, Coach Horn should put on the full court press on this kid. Be sure he's at your big matchups to see the atmosphere of the arena, etc. He's a local kid, do all you can if they think he can help them win. 

Here is a general question between WKU vs NKU, what program would be "perceived" as the more elite program?  They are both in a Mid Major Conference Conf USA vs Horizon League....

I would think my gut answer would be WKU is slightly better than NKU....but I have very little knowledge and could be persuaded to change my mind....what say you?

Just now, FrankNicodemus said:

Here is a general question between WKU vs NKU, what program would be "perceived" as the more elite program?  They are both in a Mid Major Conference Conf USA vs Horizon League....

I would think my gut answer would be WKU is slightly better than NKU....but I have very little knowledge and could be persuaded to change my mind....what say you?

Tough call given recent seasons, but over the last 10-20 years? It WKU and not close, so maybe I lean that way. 

It wouldn't change my approach to it if I'm coach Horn though. If I'm competing with WKU and not UK or even UC for a kid right across the Licking River? I'm all in. 

10 hours ago, ChickenWyngz said:

Put him in the floor seats against UNC Greensboro in a couple days. Let him see the speed and size you have/want to compete at up close. 

The atmosphere at the NKU arena might be a downer. LOL

WKU is a better program historically, recently, and in virtually every measure you choose to use.  Their league is way better than the Horizon, as well, not all "mid-major" conferences are created equal.  

All of that said, I agree with Chicken, if I'm Darrin I'm all over him.  If he shoots 40%+ from the arc this year, he will have more options.  Zero offense to his teammates, but I'd love to see him with a couple guys closer to his level, make things really hard on him in terms of shot selection and attention of other team.  Hard to gage his feel for the game when you are asked / expected to do so much.  

Hope he has a HUGE year!!

• Like 1