Girls’ Soccer Sweet 16 - matchups/updates

Tonight we kick off the State Wide Panda Classic, I mean the Sweet 16 for the Girls soccer tournament.  Maher Rankings were updated yesterday so i will be using those this week.  We have only 2 games kicking off tonight and the other 6 games waiting until tomorrow night to kickoff.  2 games in the First Round will pit both teams in the Top 10.  We have 6 Top 10 teams in the field which is a decent amount considering how stacked the 7th, 9th, and 11th Region typically is in the Top 10, unfortunately 2 will be eliminated after First Round.

Here we go……

Tonight’s games:

#14 West Jessamine versus #42 East Carter

#2 Lex Cath versus #53 Johnson Central

Tuesday’s games:

#3 South Oldham versus #7 Bowling Green

#1 NDA versus #12 Campbell County

#4 Sacred Heart versus #9 Bardstown

#10 Marshall County versus #26 Henderson County

#28 Ohio County versus #51 Mercy

#56 South Laurel versus NR Estill County

Good luck ladies!!!

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Purple88 said:

Thanks @FrankNicodemus for all this!  Great information!

Great season by Highlands.  Hoping my Purples could pull the upset tomorrow night.  

Would be tough IMO.

Question for you and @The Double Deuce:  how are the region #s paired up on the bracket?

By a blind draw or other?  Thank you!

Great question and its one that has been debated for years.  KHSAA had some sort of rotation I believe that they always used in the past.

BUT just last week or 2, KHSAA board of controls changed the bracket up a bit and made it a blind draw BUT it was broken into halves, Region 1 - 8 and then Region 9-16.

The other thing that I think happened is when we get down to Semi’s they redistribute the bracket based on RPI.  So #1 plays #4 and #2 plays #3 on best RPIs left…..

But I haven’t read it in great detail but that is what I think it is based on some tweets I saw floating around a few weeks.

Maybe I will try to get my hands on the actual document that discusses this to confirm…..bear with me.

• Thanks 1

LOL, I had to re-read your opening sentence.  That's funny, but nothing is for taken granted in this tournament!  Haven't we seen many upsets recently?

Very interesting how they break up the blind draw in 2 halves?!?!  Any reason for that?

Do you have any take on the matchups or teams?  I have only seen Sacred Heart and South Oldham.  Something tells me (and I think you may have eluded to this as well) that NDA did not get Sacred Heart's best effort when they played in Lexington.  I do know South Oldham has some studs.  They are fast, can score, and have talent in their backline.   

First Round Recap

#28 Ohio County beats #51 Mercy, 3-0

#26 Henderson knocks off a Top 10 team #10 Marshall Co, 3-1

#9 Bardstown slays the Defending State Champion Sacred Heart, 3-2 in OT

#3 South Oldham beats #7 Bowling Green, 1-0

#56 South Laurel sneaks past NR Estill Co, 1-0

#14 West Jessamine skunks East Carter, 4-0

#2 Lex Cath handles #53 Johnson Central, 5-0

#1 NDA demolishes #12 Campbell County, 7-0

Well we still have #1, #2, #3, and #9 in the Top 10 still Alive!!!!  Unfortunately, we have #1 vs #2 in the second round playing each other with NDA vs Lex Cath.  If my memory serves me right that was the ranking in one of the publications before the State Tournament when Highlands played Lex Cath in the 1st Round.  Welcome to the great way Kentucky does State Tournaments!

10 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Why does South Oldham play state tournament games at Carroll County? I know Carroll has turf but doesn't South Oldham have turf also?

South Oldham has a great facility, that is super odd, glad you pointed it out.  I had never noticed that.

Good luck to the 6 girls' teams playing tonight to advance to the Final 4!!!

11 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

Why does South Oldham play state tournament games at Carroll County? I know Carroll has turf but doesn't South Oldham have turf also?

I did some research and noticed that South Oldham is actually on "Fall Break" this whole week.  I am wondering with school employees potentially off b/c of Fall Break they don't have the necessary staff to open and close the soccer facility for a game.

That's my guess.....

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Sbreeze said:

I saw a tweet this past week saying that their field misses the minimum requirements by a few yards not allowing them to host tourney games.

Interesting BUT in other news St. Henry is a great field to use as a “neutral location” for a Regional Semifinals.  

• Haha 3