Frederick Douglass Football after 5 years of play in Lexington

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Unfortunately FCPS built this school due to overcrowding at pretty much every other high school in the city, not to attempt to build a super school.   For a city of almost 400K to only at that time ha

I was going to ask what Freddy D did differently to have the success they are having in Lexington that the other schools couldn’t do before Freddy D came along.  Other public schools have had some goo

24 consecutive wins, 12 running clocks, 10 shutouts, and 5 cancelled games. Not a bad run thus far in Lexington. 943-192 total points scored.     

Posted Images

I agree it's been a good start and all they can do is beat the teams on their schedule like they are supposed to do and they have done that.  But the Lexington public schools aren't exactly stiff competition.  From the 2017 season through week 5 of 2021 season the public schools they beat have a combined record of 81-154.

Again, all they can do is beat the other Lexington public schools and they do convincingly. 

• Like 2

FD is only going to keep getting better, IMO. They have positioned themselves (through success, facilities, top notch coaching, strength and conditioning program, etc.) as essentially a magnet school for football in Lexington. Unless you are interested in attending a private school like LCA or LC, you would be crazy not to find a way to enroll at FD. This is especially true if you are a top tier athlete; Coach Mcpeek has a revolving door of college coaches in that building on a weekly basis! 

My biggest concern for the FD administration is trying to keep Coach Mcpeek. 

• Like 1
Just now, Kenny Powers said:

FD is only going to keep getting better, IMO. They have positioned themselves (through success, facilities, top notch coaching, strength and conditioning program, etc.) as essentially a magnet school for football in Lexington. Unless you are interested in attending a private school like LCA or LC, you would be crazy not to find a way to enroll at FD. This is especially true if you are a top tier athlete; Coach Mcpeek has a revolving door of college coaches in that building on a weekly basis! 

What do you mean?

2 minutes ago, Kenny Powers said:

Seems to be a growing trend among public schools systems to build these huge schools to try to compete at the top levels of everything. McCracken County, FD and now the merger of Christian County/Hop-town. There may have been some others too. And I am sure we will see more in the future. 

1 minute ago, theguru said:

What do you mean?

Coach Mcpeek is a big up and coming name/coach in the state. IMO, don't be surprised if schools (or even colleges) with Brinks trucks begin showing up at his door asking him to coach. 

Frederick Douglass got a lot of transfers from the other schools when they came into existence which weakened the other schools for years.  Bryan Station is starting to make a comeback. This often happens with new schools with newer facilities and making the right hires to lead the programs.  Another example is Great Crossing which is starting to challenge Scott County in most sports.  Also you can look at GRC which gets a lot of transfers.  One look at their new facilities anyone would like to play there.

Enormous respect playing them the last 2 years in the semis - phenomenal players and obviously a great program.  Drove by the school last week in Lexington - It seems they sit right next to Bryan Station's district on the east side.  Whatever it is, they should remain a dominant force.  

37 minutes ago, Killowatt59 said:

Seems to be a growing trend among public schools systems to build these huge schools to try to compete at the top levels of everything. McCracken County, FD and now the merger of Christian County/Hop-town. There may have been some others too. And I am sure we will see more in the future. 

Unfortunately FCPS built this school due to overcrowding at pretty much every other high school in the city, not to attempt to build a super school.   For a city of almost 400K to only at that time have 5 public high schools & 3 privates, it was a little much.  They've only competed in football honestly, every other sport is lagging behind terribly there outside of the boys basketball team & the baseball/softball teams that had a great season last year.

• Like 4

How close are they to moving to 6A?  I see the enrollment for the school is a little over 1400 students and I know football goes by how many boys are in the school but I cannot find what the number of boys are for each classification. 

1 hour ago, REH5 said:

Frederick Douglass got a lot of transfers from the other schools when they came into existence which weakened the other schools for years.  Bryan Station is starting to make a comeback. This often happens with new schools with newer facilities and making the right hires to lead the programs.  Another example is Great Crossing which is starting to challenge Scott County in most sports.  Also you can look at GRC which gets a lot of transfers.  One look at their new facilities anyone would like to play there.

This has been the excuse of all the other Lexington publics for years now. "Douglass took all of our talent..." Bryan Station and Henry Clay (the two primary schools Douglass drew from upon opening) were ALREADY mired in mediocrity before 2017! A quick look back at those seasons confirms this..

Lafayette was the only Lexington team able to compete with the one-time neighborhood bully TTUN. There were two Dunbar kids, and only one kid on the 1st Douglass team that previously played for Lafayette. Might have been three Tates Creek kids. Everyone else came from Defender and Blue Devil teams that were barely .500 caliber teams.

Brian Landis and staff put together a patchwork team of players who weren't familiar with each other, and proceeded to beat everyone they played that first season except an undefeated Danville state champion, and TTUN. 

Parents and fans of the other Lexington schools always blame Douglass, when it was clearly the coaching staffs of the publics that were not up to the task of leading competitive teams.

At some point people have to let that go, the whole "Douglass took our players" thing. If you look at Station, the only thing that changed was the Coach. Whatever atmosphere he installed there, worked! It's not like the Defenders are playing different teams, or something. Just seems like these area coaches were complacent and let their teams lag behind the rest of the state.

• Like 2