Frederick Douglass Football after 5 years of play in Lexington

16thBBall Fan

Not sure if the Lafayette job has been secured yet, but if they get someone good I see that program rising quickly based on the fact that they are the 2nd largest school in the state behind the new Christian Co Hoptown merger. Tons of talent in the pool to work with. Bryan Station has been able to stop the bleeding to FD and the change has been very noticeable in their program. LCA will keep doing what LCA does (leading the state in D1 signees this year) and so will FD. Catholic has a new skipper and needs to find it's football identity again. Fayette Co has the talent they just need the right coaching. IMO, the bling at FD will start to fade as other schools bring in the right staff, make upgrades to facilities and put some dubs on the board. Coach McPeek is up to the challenge and I like what he does to promote not only his players but other players in Fayette Co to the next level. He has some challenges ahead of him but I think he can navigate the waters. 

Just now, theguru said:

Would you please share some of the high points?

Sure.

The points that stood out the most to me were his discussion of his time playing with Byron Leftwich. He described him as a tremendous leader and someone you just wanted to go to war with. He said that of all the players and coaches he has been around that Leftwich has far and away the highest football IQ. He said it doesn't surprise him one bit that Leftwich is going NFL HC interviews and is positive he will be successful. 

McPeek and Maggard then spent a good amount of time discussing some differences in high school football/college football today than when he played (and especially when Maggard played). They both came to the consensus that the type of athlete that is playing OL and DL has been one of the biggest differences. Those positions are just just "fat guys" anymore; but instead tremendous athletes with leaner bodies. He used Jager Burton, among others, as an example. Burton is 305-310 lbs but can move and has great feet with a relatively low body fat percentage. McPeek explained how important the changes in the off season programs have been to developing athletes. He really stressed that if you want to be competitive you have to have a great off season program that develops players physically. 

They finished up with some discussion of recruiting and how it is changing with the transfer portal. McPeek explained that nothing is really changing for the blue chip guys but it is kind of delaying the lower level recruits because schools are waiting to see what they could get in the portal before offering. 

Overall, a really good interview. I really like Maggard and how much he promotes KY high school football. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Kenny Powers said:

Sure.

The points that stood out the most to me were his discussion of his time playing with Byron Leftwich. He described him as a tremendous leader and someone you just wanted to go to war with. He said that of all the players and coaches he has been around that Leftwich has far and away the highest football IQ. He said it doesn't surprise him one bit that Leftwich is going NFL HC interviews and is positive he will be successful. 

McPeek and Maggard then spent a good amount of time discussing some differences in high school football/college football today than when he played (and especially when Maggard played). They both came to the consensus that the type of athlete that is playing OL and DL has been one of the biggest differences. Those positions are just just "fat guys" anymore; but instead tremendous athletes with leaner bodies. He used Jager Burton, among others, as an example. Burton is 305-310 lbs but can move and has great feet with a relatively low body fat percentage. McPeek explained how important the changes in the off season programs have been to developing athletes. He really stressed that if you want to be competitive you have to have a great off season program that develops players physically. 

They finished up with some discussion of recruiting and how it is changing with the transfer portal. McPeek explained that nothing is really changing for the blue chip guys but it is kind of delaying the lower level recruits because schools are waiting to see what they could get in the portal before offering. 

Overall, a really good interview. I really like Maggard and how much he promotes KY high school football. 

Thanks for all that Kenny, I appreciate it.  

I always enjoy listening to Freddie Maggard talk high school football. 

• Like 1