Jump to content

Is Chris Mack similar to Billy Gillispie?


Recommended Posts

Their act appears to be similar? Will the ending of the show be the same? He at one time was a leading candidate to be the replacement for Coach Cal and now it appears he will not have very many high profile jobs. It amazes me how people change when they get big time jobs as this was not him when he was at his last job?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, The Flea Market said:

Their act appears to be similar? Will the ending of the show be the same? He at one time was a leading candidate to be the replacement for Coach Cal and now it appears he will not have very many high profile jobs. It amazes me how people change when they get big time jobs as this was not him when he was at his last job?

Xavier is a pretty well respected Big East program. The Louisville program was a train wreck heading to disaster when he got there. Do you really think UK would ever hire a guy from U of L? The fans would go nuts. I think he's a little different than Billy G.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, 9068 said:

Xavier is a pretty well respected Big East program. The Louisville program was a train wreck heading to disaster when he got there. Do you really think UK would ever hire a guy from U of L? The fans would go nuts. I think he's a little different than Billy G.

I think he meant while becoming a rising star at Xavier, Mack seemed to be a natural replacement since the UK fan base is always looking for its next coach. Don't think he meant in the past few years while at UL.

-------------

With respect to the question at hand, I honestly have not kept up much with the Chris Mack saga, because frankly college basketball is on the back burner of most people until mid-February. The whole thing is bizarre to me. I suppose it warrants a suspension, but I can't determine if this is an over-correction from past UL troubles or if there is more to the story than we know. Probably something in the middle.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, bugatti said:

I think he meant while becoming a rising star at Xavier, Mack seemed to be a natural replacement since the UK fan base is always looking for its next coach. Don't think he meant in the past few years while at UL.

-------------

With respect to the question at hand, I honestly have not kept up much with the Chris Mack saga, because frankly college basketball is on the back burner of most people until mid-February. The whole thing is bizarre to me. I suppose it warrants a suspension, but I can't determine if this is an over-correction from past UL troubles or if there is more to the story than we know. Probably something in the middle.

I'm pretty firmly entrenched in the "over-correction" camp. Pitino and staff got away with murder under Jurich.

Mack has now been at UofL for 3 seasons, one of those seasons was cancelled near the end due to COVID, and one of them was drastically impacted by COVID measures. That's also impacted recruiting. Riots in the city have impacted recruiting. I think, all tolled, Mack is doing decently, all things considered.

Chris Mack had some minor violations - I would guess that you could more than likely snoop around in-depth and dig up two or three similar violations in virtually any major NCAA D1 sports program, for better or worse - and there is also genuinely no proof that he had any clue of the violations taking place. And then he doesn't follow university procedure when trying to avoid being extorted by a staffer, and he's suspended for 6 games.

If I had to guess, the UofL felt they absolutely had to do that to avoid possible sanctions from the NCAA, and at the same time, I'm betting they're praying they don't have Mack saying, "Peace, I'm outta here," because he's about the best UofL could have hired in their situation, IMHO.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Colonels_Wear_Blue changed the title to Is Chris Mack similar to Billy Gillispie?
10 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I'm pretty firmly entrenched in the "over-correction" camp. Pitino and staff got away with murder under Jurich.

Mack has now been at UofL for 3 seasons, one of those seasons was cancelled near the end due to COVID, and one of them was drastically impacted by COVID measures. That's also impacted recruiting. Riots in the city have impacted recruiting. I think, all tolled, Mack is doing decently, all things considered.

Chris Mack had some minor violations - I would guess that you could more than likely snoop around in-depth and dig up two or three similar violations in virtually any major NCAA D1 sports program, for better or worse - and there is also genuinely no proof that he had any clue of the violations taking place. And then he doesn't follow university procedure when trying to avoid being extorted by a staffer, and he's suspended for 6 games.

If I had to guess, the UofL felt they absolutely had to do that to avoid possible sanctions from the NCAA, and at the same time, I'm betting they're praying they don't have Mack saying, "Peace, I'm outta here," because he's about the best UofL could have hired in their situation, IMHO.

I'm with you on all of this, but I do think this is a big year for Mack and Louisville. Way too early bracket projections call the Cards a 7-seed. If they could get higher than that I think its a good season. A subpar performance where they flirt with the bubble all season will likely cause grumbling.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/23/2021 at 4:40 PM, nikeman49 said:

Mack is no comparison to Billy G, Mack will be okay this season at UofL and move forward with a already successful career.

I agree.  There is no comparison.  I don't think Chris Mack drinks nearly as much.

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Mack has to deal with the black cloud of the NCAA hanging over his head.

Billy G. inherited a program that had let expectations slip.

I don’t see many similarities…

Both needed/need to win. Neither fan base is going to tolerate losing although I’m not sure UL has many coaching options given their current situation. I doubt any high level coaches would seriously consider UL right now. 

Most people will look the other way when it comes to minor infractions and accept character flaws as long as winning comes along with it. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.