Tkinslow

How the mighty have fallen.

On 4/25/2021 at 2:56 PM, Tkinslow said:

I can think of two schools that used to be feared on the field Warren Central and Boone Co that now can’t get out of their on way. What are some other schools that would fit in this category.

Warren Central had a player in the late 80's, Damon Hood, that was a MAN amongst boys.  Absolute freak!!

I haven't seen them mentioned, but the first name I thought of for this thread (after Boone County) was Paducah Tilghman.  Seemed like they were in the State Championship every other year for 2 decades (I know they weren't, but they were there a LOT), and I don't know that I've heard their name in a decade.

2 minutes ago, The Double Deuce said:

Warren Central had a player in the late 80's, Damon Hood, that was a MAN amongst boys.  Absolute freak!!

I haven't seen them mentioned, but the first name I thought of for this thread (after Boone County) was Paducah Tilghman.  Seemed like they were in the State Championship every other year for 2 decades (I know they weren't, but they were there a LOT), and I don't know that I've heard their name in a decade.

Damon Hood was amazing!

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, The Double Deuce said:

Damon.thumb.jpg.705841818bed4998f5f8d401dd6d19ad.jpg

The_Park_City_Daily_News_Tue__Dec_4__1990_.thumb.jpg.a125c47577b85fd1b20aaf71cf26c85d.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

In my neck of the woods, I'd say PT. Decent but not mighty.

Also, I think Danville has fallen. Other than their State title a few years ago, they are either very good or very ordinary. With ordinary being the exception not the rule for over 10 years.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Damon.thumb.jpg.705841818bed4998f5f8d401dd6d19ad.jpg

The_Park_City_Daily_News_Tue__Dec_4__1990_.thumb.jpg.a125c47577b85fd1b20aaf71cf26c85d.jpg

He played when a couple good linemen and a great running back could win you a championship unfortunately it’s not that way anymore I guess it depends on what kind of fan you are as to whether that’s a good thing or a bad thing. I myself liked the old smash mouth football teams three yards and a cloud of dust.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, snakesnot_2000 said:

In my neck of the woods, I'd say PT. Decent but not mighty.

Also, I think Danville has fallen. Other than their State title a few years ago, they are either very good or very ordinary. With ordinary being the exception not the rule for over 10 years.

PT has really been hurt by the creation of McCracken County, before McCracken existed, if you were really good in the Paducah area, you went to PT without question. 

• Like 2

On 4/26/2021 at 12:53 PM, theguru said:

Things may change this year and beyond but Highlands deserves consideration for this list.  The Bluebirds are no where near what they were under Coach Mueller. 

Good point. I don't expect to see immediate improvement like so many bluebird faithful are predicting. I guess time will tell. Maybe I'm right and maybe I'm wrong?

• Like 1

I just saw another thread on Nelson Co.’s schedule & I have to think they would qualify for this thread.  The addition of Thomas Nelson & more kids going to Bardstown hasn’t helped.  The program was really good & competitive from the mid 90s to early 2000, including the title in ‘96, but has steadily declined since.  A lot of that was Coach Brown, but still.  Be great to see a program like that healthy again.

On 4/26/2021 at 10:45 AM, The Flea Market said:

Ft Campbell did not even have a team this year due to Covid!

It was due to military high school Covid rules. Not because of a lack of players 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Unrivaled97 said:

I just saw another thread on Nelson Co.’s schedule & I have to think they would qualify for this thread.  The addition of Thomas Nelson & more kids going to Bardstown hasn’t helped.  The program was really good & competitive from the mid 90s to early 2000, including the title in ‘96, but has steadily declined since.  A lot of that was Coach Brown, but still.  Be great to see a program like that healthy again.

It’s always been amazing to me how a team can win a championship and then drop to this level.

Call me crazy, but I think St. X. They haven't won a title since 09. Before that was 04. So in the last two decades the "Perennial Power" hasn't shown much. They still beat up a little on lesser opponents, but they are a program with 12 state titles. Maybe it's the 2 coaching changes that have caused inconsistencies.

However, I think they're one that could swing the pendulum back in their favor sooner rather than later.

11 hours ago, NLTanker1 said:

Call me crazy, but I think St. X. They haven't won a title since 09. Before that was 04. So in the last two decades the "Perennial Power" hasn't shown much. They still beat up a little on lesser opponents, but they are a program with 12 state titles. Maybe it's the 2 coaching changes that have caused inconsistencies.

However, I think they're one that could swing the pendulum back in their favor sooner rather than later.

St. X main problem is Trinity. Where it used to be them and Trinity it’s now just Trinity. Until they can get back to beating Trinity they ain’t winning any championships.

• Like 1

On 4/25/2021 at 1:56 PM, Tkinslow said:

I can think of two schools that used to be feared on the field Warren Central and Boone Co that now can’t get out of their on way. What are some other schools that would fit in this category.

Funny you mention those schools - haven't both had kids taken away?  I think Bowling Green got some of Warren Central's territory from what I was told years ago by some locals I knew.   This helped BG and hurt WC (Sorry @DragonFire) Same for Boone.  Now you have Conner and Cooper which I believe took kids away from Boone.  My nephews went to Conner.  Speaking of Warren Central - they were so athletic and great defensively back then.  It wasn't just Hood.

1 minute ago, Brown said:

Funny you mention those schools - haven't both had kids taken away?  I think Bowling Green got some of Warren Central's territory from what I was told years ago by some locals I knew.   This helped BG and hurt WC (Sorry @DragonFire) Same for Boone.  Now you have Conner and Cooper which I believe took kids away from Boone.  My nephews went to Conner.  Speaking of Warren Central - they were so athletic and great defensively back then.  It wasn't just Hood.

The creation of South Warren has been the death of Warren Central plain and simple.

44 minutes ago, zoneblitz24 said:

The creation of South Warren has been the death of Warren Central plain and simple.

The crazy part about it is it’s just hurt WC in football they have still been really good in basketball now I know a basketball team doesn’t have nearly as many people as football but it’s still a 4A school so there’s still a lot of students at the school. They might have lost enough athletes to SW to not be able to compete for championships but you still wouldn’t think they would be that bad.