CJ Fredrick (Cov Cath '18) to enter the NCAA transfer portal.

4 minutes ago, TylerDurden said:

He can transfer to Kentucky and be the next in a long and storied line of shooters who don't ever really play because they don't defend enough...

He won't have to play 40 minutes to be effective. Heck, not even 20. 

1 hour ago, TylerDurden said:

He can transfer to Kentucky and be the next in a long and storied line of shooters who don't ever really play because they don't defend enough...

Why does everybody assume that CJ can't play defense? While reading through the Iowa message boards, it seems that their fanbase thought that was one of the few good things they had to say about CJ.

• Like 1

I saw Iowa play quite a bit on TV this past season.   I thought Fredrick was a very good, savvy player on both O and D, including being a good passer.    Then he must have gotten  hurt half way or 2/3 of the way through the season, and when he came back the coach did not play him nearly as much.   (Maybe he wasn't fully recovered---I don't know.)   I'd love to see him go to UK.   No doubt he can shoot the rock.

• Like 1

Must be some fine coaches at Iowa. He was a very good HS player and shooter at Cov Cath, but I don't think UK ever considered him. Now he's good enough. Late bloomer? Role player? Good coaching? Maturity? Just hard for me to figure. I thought he played a bunch at Iowa before injury. Would he get as much PT at UK?

5 minutes ago, 9068 said:

Must be some fine coaches at Iowa. He was a very good HS player and shooter at Cov Cath, but I don't think UK ever considered him. Now he's good enough. Late bloomer? Role player? Good coaching? Maturity? Just hard for me to figure. I thought he played a bunch at Iowa before injury. Would he get as much PT at UK?

They said on KSR today his Uncle played for McCaffery back in the day.

11 minutes ago, Tomcats1990 said:

They said on KSR today his Uncle played for McCaffery back in the day.

Correct. CJ Fredrick's uncle Joe Fredrick played at Notre Dame for Digger Phelps from 1986-87 through 1989-90. Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery was an assistant on Digger Phelp's coaching staff at that point.

Joe Fredrick is currently the head assistant on the varsity basketball coaching staff at Cov Cath, which is why CJ went to Cov Cath.

• Thanks 1

As an Iowa fan, he will be missed. Best defender in the starting 5 and had a great understanding of their zone d. Made good decisions. Iowa fans are bent because he wasn’t 100% this year and this was their year to do something. Couldn’t we work a trade with one of your spare bigs?

• Like 1