Official: John Brannen Out At Cincinnati

Walter

19 hours ago, Walter said:

Gates was the lead on some serious talent during his time at Florida State... During his final few seasons at FSU, he was mentioned as having a big impact in landing Dwayne Bacon, MJ Walker, Malik Beasley and Jonathon Isaacs. 

I worry less about him recruiting than I did Brannen. John was never known as an elite recruiter during his time at Alabama before going to NKU and while he recruited decently during his time at UC, he couldn't keep those players around due to his personality.

From everything I've seen, Gates has that "IT" factor that draws kids to him. I think he would recruit well at UC. 

I personally would like to see Erik Martin get the job due to his ties throughout Ohio. I think either him or Gates would do well but I prefer Martin with Nick Van Exel as his assistant. Martin and NVE would rejuvenate a fan base that has mostly been divided since Huggins departure. 

Wasn't Tony Yates supposed to have been a very good recruiter also?

9 hours ago, 4 Quarters said:

Wasn't Tony Yates supposed to have been a very good recruiter also?

Yes.  I was at UC during some of the final years of Yates.  Always heard that he was a good recruiter, but not necessarily a good X's and O's coach once the game started.  I used to wonder what McClendon could have done under a different head guy.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, John Anthony said:

Sounds like JB is headed to Louisville.

Fake account... Jody has mentioned multiple times on the UL boards that Brannen isn't a candidate to fill the assistant openings.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Keith Jenkins provided more details today on the firing of Brannen after obtaining documents from the University via FOIA. Included in the story:

- Accusations of Brannen using methods of intimidation against players and making payment of special benefits for an unnamed player. 

- Failed to promote an atmosphere of compliance within the Men's Basketball Program with respect to rules, regulations and policies and have further jeopardized and/or disregarded the well-being, health and safety of student-athletes, despite written reprimand 

- Cunningham sent Brannen a written reprimand on Nov. 9, 2020. The reprimand was in response to a practice Brannen held on Oct. 6, 2020, that included an "unauthorized conditioning workout in violation of University rules and policies and Brannen's employment agreement. This was the practice that led to a player needing medical attention and needing to be helped off the court due to the extreme conditions of the workout and lack of care for player safety.

- Cunningham said in the above reprimand that Brannen's actions during the workout violated the University's Policy Conduct 15.02, specifically Section 3, which says, "violating University policies and encouraging or inciting others to do the same."

- Brannen also violated Section 2(b) of his employment agreement when he failed to "comply with the University of Cincinnati Athletics Prevention of Non-Traumatic Catastrophic Injury and Sudden Death Policy ("Prevention Policy") and disregarded clear instructions contained therein."

- A two week investigation was conducted both internally and externally following the initial accusations that led to 6 players announcing their intent to transfer. 

More quotes and info below:

John Brannen was reprimanded several times before being fired

• Thanks 1

I'll be shocked if John Brannen receives anything close to his $5 mil buyout and wouldn't be surprised if he received nothing, based on the findings above. 

"Providing payment of special benefits for an unnamed player" is pretty bad for him, among everything else listed.

1 hour ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

This whole debacle sure seems like a classic case of their being two sides to every story...

image.png.42fdb07e131bdee89d09a732cf21dbf7.png

Brannen's attorney always seems to pick out just one item to divert attention from the whole menu. I get it that he is doing his job. And it's good that he clarified this one incident but what about the other incidents that were listed in the termination letter?  The fact that he does not address those raises questions.

• Like 3