Bengals Off Season

14 hours ago, 16thBBall Fan said:

Think they may have actually passed us!!

In the past year, correct.  Overall, this has been going on with the Bengals for a long time and is a real problem for them.  Unless the Bengals are going to overpay, they are not on equal footing with other teams.  Even former players, whom had great careers here, laugh at just how bad this franchise is ran and how they are treated after they retire, compared with other teams they played for (yes, I have had conversation with individuals who this applies to).  Not surprising, I believe Mike Brown would take 8-8 every year, as long as he is making lots of money and the pheasants are filling his stands.  

On 4/2/2021 at 8:36 AM, bjknku02 said:

Wasn't relevant to my point of him ripping the organization, like many players before him have also.  Are there any other organizations out there that get ripped by former players as much as the Bengals do?

Quite possibly.  Except being Bengal fans, we get to hear and notice more when it is about our Bengals. Shoot there have been players who have even complained and ripped the Patriots after leaving. Let’s not act like it is uncommon for players to do that. Happens more to teams who don’t win though obviously. 

On 4/4/2021 at 8:35 PM, futurecoach said:

Quite possibly.  Except being Bengal fans, we get to hear and notice more when it is about our Bengals. Shoot there have been players who have even complained and ripped the Patriots after leaving. Let’s not act like it is uncommon for players to do that. Happens more to teams who don’t win though obviously. 

Ha, ha...keep sipping the Bengals Kool-Aid, Mikey likes your kind.  The Bengals do a lot of losing, so I think you just hit the nail on the head, it happens to teams who don't win and that is the Bengals.  They got a good one in Burrow, hope they don't throw all that talent down the drain like they have with a many of their players.  

On 4/4/2021 at 9:04 PM, Jack of all Trades said:

William Jackson was overpaid as a free agent.  Not that good and glad to see he is gone.

Not that good?  Seemed to be rather liked in the CB free agency rankings.  Better hope Burrow stays healthy next year because he is the only way they can win them 35-30 games next year.  This Bengals D has gotten worse and they were not good last year.  

1 hour ago, bjknku02 said:

Not that good?  Seemed to be rather liked in the CB free agency rankings.  Better hope Burrow stays healthy next year because he is the only way they can win them 35-30 games next year.  This Bengals D has gotten worse and they were not good last year.  

Yes Jackson was overrated.  Where did PFF rank him last year?

11 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

Yes Jackson was overrated.  Where did PFF rank him last year?

This was taken directly from PFF website in an article written on January 13, 2021.  They seem to be rather high on him?  Perhaps the Jets believe they can coach even more out of him:

8. CINCINNATI BENGALS

One of the most improved units we saw this season from 2019, regardless of team or position, was Cincinnati's secondary. The team saw strong play from returners Jessie Bates III, William Jackson III and Darius Phillips  but also from free agent signings Vonn Bell and Mackensie Alexander.

Bell finished in the top 15 in PFF grade down in the box while Alexander ranked among the top 15 defensive backs in the slot. Phillips earned the third-highest forced incompletion rate on the outside (21.6%), and Jackson finished above the 70th percentile in outside coverage grade. Bates was the clear-cut top performer of this group. He led all safeties in the NFL in PFF grade and in interceptions plus pass breakups (15).

1 hour ago, bjknku02 said:

This was taken directly from PFF website in an article written on January 13, 2021.  They seem to be rather high on him?  Perhaps the Jets believe they can coach even more out of him:

8. CINCINNATI BENGALS

One of the most improved units we saw this season from 2019, regardless of team or position, was Cincinnati's secondary. The team saw strong play from returners Jessie Bates III, William Jackson III and Darius Phillips  but also from free agent signings Vonn Bell and Mackensie Alexander.

Bell finished in the top 15 in PFF grade down in the box while Alexander ranked among the top 15 defensive backs in the slot. Phillips earned the third-highest forced incompletion rate on the outside (21.6%), and Jackson finished above the 70th percentile in outside coverage grade. Bates was the clear-cut top performer of this group. He led all safeties in the NFL in PFF grade and in interceptions plus pass breakups (15).

I see top 15 twice, third highest and best safety. Then for Jackson, above 70th percentile.  No problem with Bengals moving on from him.  I thought he signed with Washington?  Another team that is a total mess because of the owner.

1 hour ago, CincySportsFan said:

Bengals have released Giovani Bernard.  Hate this.

1 hour ago, nkypete said:

The Bengals have released Giovani Bernard.

18 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Great teammate and quality person. If he is done, solid 8 year career - longer than most NFL RB's.

I agree Gio had a solid career with the Bengals but in my mind it was pretty clear after last year that Samaje Perine was going to take his place.

5 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Great teammate and quality person. If he is done, solid 8 year career - longer than most NFL RB's.

He will land somewhere else. Just was to much money to pay a backup running back. He was making more money than some starters in the league. For a smaller contract, he still has good value as a number 2 back. Which is why the Bengals tried to get him to take a pay cut first before cutting him.