Best Players in 9th Region History

41 minutes ago, nkypete said:

There are others, but my favorite, because he was a friend and fellow parishioner, was Dan Tieman (played for the Cincinnati Royals in 1962-63).

He was teaching at CovCath while I was there from 89-93. One of the kindest, most unassuming men I've ever come across. He truly had the respect of every single person that walked those halls...which, as we all know, isn't easy when you're talking about teenage boys. 

I didn't have him for any classes and didn't play basketball..but he couldn't have been any more kind and gracious towards me in every single encounter I had with him. We were blessed to have him while we did.

• Like 9

I don’t know where exactly you would draw the line with this as there’s been so many great players over the years, and some are just a given, while others, though great, might not be exactly what this thread is looking for, so here’s some that haven’t yet been mentioned that come to mind knowing that I’m probably forgetting just as many as I’m listing. 

I can’t recall names right now, but I know there’s a ton of Covington Catholic players that I’m forgetting to mention just from the last 20 years alone. 

And while they haven’t graduated yet, I think that it’s safe to say that we can add these two to the list. 

Scotty Draud

Sam Vinson 

Ronnie Dawn - NewCath

Justin Doellman - Ryle

Don Turney - Covington Catholic 

Troy Mckinley - Simon Kenton

Brandon Hatton - Dixie

Ross Neltner - Highlands

Russ Bramlage - Dixie

Corey Sorrell - Holy Cross

Steve Burdon - Covington Catholic 

Drew McDonald - NewCath

Ben Wyer - NewCath

MIchael Brock - Simon Kenton 

Elijah Pitmann - Holmes 

Jake Thelan - Covington Catholic 

Cole VonHandorf - Covington Catholic 

Andy Listerman - Covington Catholic 

Ricardo Johnson - Holmes

Jake Shulte - NewCath

Brennan Hall - NewCath

Roger Tieman - Covington Catholic 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, B-Ball-fan said:

I don’t know where exactly you would draw the line with this as there’s been so many great players over the years, and some are just a given, while others, though great, might not be exactly what this thread is looking for, so here’s some that haven’t yet been mentioned that come to mind knowing that I’m probably forgetting just as many as I’m listing. 

I can’t recall names right now, but I know there’s a ton of Covington Catholic players that I’m forgetting to mention just from the last 20 years alone. 

And while they haven’t graduated yet, I think that it’s safe to say that we can add these two to the list. 

Scotty Draud

Sam Vinson 

Ronnie Dawn - NewCath

Justin Doellman - Ryle

Don Turney - Covington Catholic 

Troy Mckinley - Simon Kenton

Brandon Hatton - Dixie

Ross Neltner - Highlands

Russ Bramlage - Dixie

Corey Sorrell - Holy Cross

Steve Burdon - Covington Catholic 

Drew McDonald - NewCath

Ben Wyer - NewCath

MIchael Brock - Simon Kenton 

Elijah Pitmann - Holmes 

Jake Thelan - Covington Catholic 

Cole VonHandorf - Covington Catholic 

Andy Listerman - Covington Catholic 

Ricardo Johnson - Holmes

Jake Shulte - NewCath

Brennan Hall - NewCath

Roger Tieman - Covington Catholic 

Great list. We can't forget Roger Tieman's U of L teammate, Jack Turner from Newport HS.  They went to the final four in 1959 I believe. 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, blue4sure said:

Dave Cowens was an great pro.

My first thought when I saw the thread title. I think he only played high school hoops for a couple of years, but there’s little doubt that he went on to have the most successful pro career. 

• Like 2