June Buchanan School: Well, how good are they really?

Jim, I think June Buchanan is a much better team than you're giving them credit for. I don't think Mason County overlooked them, not with what they accomplished this summer in state AAU play, and I don't think the game at Perry Central was a fluke. I do think Mason is the better team though, in the range a 10 point spread.

JMHO

Sorry to snag your post from the other thread, Prof, but I was concerned the discourse we — or, me v. you and a couple others :D — were having derailed the thread off-topic.

I ask: Should JBS be ranked?

To carry on from the post I quoted, I would argue there are a handful of teams in the BGP top-20 that Mason Co. would beat by 10 points or more.

I saw JBS once last year, and have a good feel for what they returned. My contention is Mason Co. either overlooked JBS or just played poorly. Had JBS faced the Mason team that faced PCC on Saturday, the score would probably be similar to the PCC score.

Stepp is an exceptional talent and can play with anyone, but I have to wonder about if some of the other guys on the squad aren't flattered by playing in a weak region. None of JBS' wins this year are particularly impressive, and I have a difficult time taking a team seriously who schedules Piarist to help shore up the win totals. With the anticipation of a good team, JBS should've scheduled more out-of-region games against top-flite competition. And I don't take summer league wins as gospel, because oftentimes teams are without their full complement of players, for various reasons.

Obviously, we'll learn more about JBS during their Fifth-Third trip. My guess has them beating a Pendleton Co. team that is down from their past few seasons, then getting drilled by LexCath. Should that come to pass, they'll get either Henry Clay, Simon Kenton or Trinity, and I'm betting another big loss will come in that game as well.

Thoughts???

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you saw them play last year you saw the same team that they will have for a 2 or 3 more years. They have improved alot since last year partly because they were so young they have just matured. Garrison Collins is 6'9 this year and is improving every game. He needs to play against more big men to get better. They also start Trey Short who is 6'6" and Brent Hall who is about 6'3" and a great rebounder. When you add these guys to Stepp and Cox it makes for a good team.

I do agree with you that they should not schedule Piarist even though it is only once. They do play a much harder schedule this year and are in the 5th/3rd and Wymt tourneys. I agree with you that they need to schedule more out of mountains games if at all possible next year. They were invited to play in the King of Bluegrass but can only play in two tourneys per year.

They are still a young team since they dont start any seniors so even if they do lose some games in the 5th/3rd it will be good experience..

I don't think June Buchanan is a top 20 state team, but they do have a good team. Garrison Collins is about 6'8, and they have some other players in the 6'3 size. And Clark Stepp and Tate Cox are two of the best guards in the mountains. Cox is great long range shooter.

However, their one weakness against quality opponents, like they're going to see in their holiday touraments, is depth. If any of their key players get in foul trouble, then the Crusaders are in trouble.

If you saw them play last year you saw the same team that they will have for a 2 or 3 more years. They have improved alot since last year partly because they were so young they have just matured. Garrison Collins is 6'9 this year and is improving every game. He needs to play against more big men to get better. They also start Trey Short who is 6'6" and Brent Hall who is about 6'3" and a great rebounder. When you add these guys to Stepp and Cox it makes for a good team.

I do agree with you that they should not schedule Piarist even though it is only once. They do play a much harder schedule this year and are in the 5th/3rd and Wymt tourneys. I agree with you that they need to schedule more out of mountains games if at all possible next year. They were invited to play in the King of Bluegrass but can only play in two tourneys per year.

They are still a young team since they dont start any seniors so even if they do lose some games in the 5th/3rd it will be good experience..

I love the WYMT tourney, but if I'm a coach looking to get noticed by the rest of the state, 100 times out of 100 I would skip WYMT and go with the KOB.

And my criticism of their schedule kind of falls under a larger umbrella covering mountain teams in general in that fans of mountain teams always complain about a lack of respect for their team while playing teams in their district four and five times in a season. You don't get better by beating up on your softie neighbors. You've got to put yourself to the test and expose your kids to the types of athleticism and defenses they would face in the Sweet 16. Hopefully JBS doesn't have to learn this lesson the hard way, like so many mountain teams before them.

JBS is the best team in the 14th region and showed what they can do on Friday night. Yes Mason had a bad shooting night against the zone of JBS, but those things happen. JBS missed a lot of free throws too. Especially at crunch time, two front ends and Stepp missed 2 out of 3 when he was fouled on the 3, then 1 out of 2 with 7 sec to go. Everyone can say "IF" all they want, JBS is the real deal and are still really young. Maybe they will take a loss or two in the 5th/3rd, but at least they are playing in it. Will be a great experience. Their schedule this year is a lot tougher than most. Everyone has those games they throw in for a break and yes they have been known to do this more than most, but if you take a look at it this year, I think they have a pretty tough schedule and next year's will probably even be tougher with more age and experience. Keep up the good work Crusaders, look forward to watching you at Rupp!

I think if JBS can get out of the 14th in the All A they will have a good shot to win some games in Richmond. They will have some stiff competition against Hazard and others to get out. It seems it is always hard for teams to win that first All A regional title but I think they have a good shot this year.

I must admit that I'm now a believer in JBS. I wasn't sold on them until I saw the Mason County game, but now I do think they are for real. Steppe is a good player, still trying to do too much at times, but still a good player. I absolutely love the Cox kid. If you leave him open, you can write it down. I also love the way that he stays within himself and doesn't try to do too much (I guess having two guys playing that way would cause too much internal trouble though). The big boy has improved leaps and bounds. He is a legit 6'8" because he towered over the 6'5" Miller, and he can make a lay-up. Let's face it, if you're 6'8" and can make a lay-up, especially in the mountains, you are effective. Throw in the other 2 kids that have size and know their roles and you have a very talented ballteam.

I realize that the whistle did favor JBS down the stretch, and it made the game a real nail-biter. However, the Crusaders made a statement to the rest of the state that they can play basketball.

I realize that the whistle did favor JBS down the stretch, and it made the game a real nail-biter.

The officials called more tic tac stuff on JBS thank they did on Mason. Stepp had 3 fouls in the first half and Cox had 2 quick ones too. If I was going to homer someone, I sure wouldn't call, 3 fouls on a teams best player.

But a mistake by the officials almost cost Mason the game. When the intentional foul was called on JBS, the basketball went in so they counted the basket. But when they gave freethrows, they only gave them 1 shot. When the rule is "ALL INTENTIONAL FOULS ARE 2 SHOTS", no matter if the ball goes or not. So Mason should of gotten two shots and then the ball out. So if the 3 at the buzzer would not of went, they would of lost by one and would of been cheated out of a free throw, that would not of been a good situation for the officials to explain to the Royals.

The officials called more tic tac stuff on JBS thank they did on Mason. Stepp had 3 fouls in the first half and Cox had 2 quick ones too. If I was going to homer someone, I sure wouldn't call, 3 fouls on a teams best player.

But a mistake by the officials almost cost Mason the game. When the intentional foul was called on JBS, the basketball went in so they counted the basket. But when they gave freethrows, they only gave them 1 shot. When the rule is "ALL INTENTIONAL FOULS ARE 2 SHOTS", no matter if the ball goes or not. So Mason should of gotten two shots and then the ball out. So if the 3 at the buzzer would not of went, they would of lost by one and would of been cheated out of a free throw, that would not of been a good situation for the officials to explain to the Royals.

GO read your rule book. THey got the call exactly right. If the shot goes he only gets one shot. If he missed it then he would have gotten two. IF your shooting a three and you get intentionally fouled then you get three shots, if you make it you only get one. THe refs made it look good in the first half and with the game on the line they knew who to put the fouls to. Miller's last three fouls espically the last one were phantom fouls. THe be a master of the hardwood you sure could use a refresher course on the rules of the game. Look it up if you dont agree with me.

I am new to bluegrasspreps here and I am from maysville. I had to purchase a membership after reading all the neg comments about mason co after the 2 point win over JBS. Let me express my opinion now that I have waited 3 days to do so. Mason co is a top 5 team in the state of ky. Is JBS considered, no, if so they would be in the rankings. Anyone in their right mind would know a team ranked in the top 5 would be much better then the way they played against JBS. Jim Schue you said it right either mason co overlooked Jbs or just had a poor night which happens. JBS fans dont read to much into your 2 point loss to Mason co. For the comment about taking Miller away and we are just a average team, WRONG, Miller has been our leading scorer in only 1 games this season. I would bet you my last dollar if the game was played again JBS woudlnt come close and yes it would be very similar to the PCC game.