St. Henry 58 Holy Cross 54 (9th Region All A Championship)

St. Henry wins back to back 9th Region All ‘A’ Championships, and will now enter the All ‘A’ State Tournament as the defending State Champs. 

Jude Bessler MVP, Vieth with 19 points. Those two plus Cory Shea make the All-Tourney Team. 

All-Tourney team for Holy Cross, Jacob Meyer, and Blake Robinson. 

• Like 1

Once upon a time in a gymnasium high up on a hill in Newport, Ky the Holy Cross Indians of Covington challenged the defending All ‘A’ State Champs the St. Henry Crusaders from Erlanger for the title of the 9th Region All ‘A’....

….ah...screw it...here’s the video of the game...

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-MmmNgSspI

OK you’re not all getting off that easy…

Congratulations to the St. Henry Crusaders for winning back to back 9th Region All ‘A’ Championships, and good luck to them next month at EKU where they will defend their 2020 All ‘A’ Classic Title when they begin the tourney facing off with the currently undefeated Number 1 team in the 3rd Region, The Owensboro Catholic Aces. The Crusaders being the defending All ‘A’ State Champs will undoubtedly enter the tournament heavy favorites. 

Ok...a few takeaways from the Championship game:

First thing that can’t be ignored is that Holy Cross has a name that everyone needs to know, and that’s their Sr point guard Blake Robinson. Great ball handler, and the kid sure can light it up from the 3. 

If his great shooting doesn’t get your attention, you’d still not be able to miss him on the court as he stands out as the platinum blonde with the 13 on his jersey. 

He had a big game knocking down 5 3’s, and so far this season he’s proved to be dependable for at least 3 per game. 

I don’t see Robinson’s name on the roster for last season, and I’ve never seen him before, so I can’t but help to wonder where he played his Jr. season in 2020? Does anyone out there have the scoop on this?

Good news also for Holy Cross is that the much needed Brandon McClendon is back in action after having sat out the first 5 games of the season. 

Sophomore Jacob Meyer from HC is as fast as lightning, He’s picked up from where he left off last season wooing us with his talents this early in his career. Kid can get to the rim at will and everyone now knows there’s no sleeping on him as he'll blow right past you in the blink of an eye. 

Sr. Jeremiah Hicks, who last season was already a beast has matured with a muscular more leaner look. He’s a force that can’t be denied, and a major threat for the Indians. 

Rounding out the starting 5 you have the length and toughness of Jr. forward Dylan Arlinghaus. I’m anxious to see him progress as he appears to have great upside, and last but not least the Indians have a So. guard in Xavier Ward that we’ll certainly be hearing more about this season, and then next couple of years. 

Going back to EKU to defend their title, St. Henry takes with them...count ‘em….10 Seniors. I’ll say it again….10 Seniors. This is unheard of, but these kids have all grown up together and know each other's instincts like the back of their hand. It’s only fitting that they can finish up their high school basketball ball career on this high note. In a region that is all CovCath and then everyone else, they still can feel it to be a season worth being proud of. 

OK one last comment, and it’s a pet peeve of mine…

Where I come from when announcing the current score in a game, or the final results, the team in the lead, and the team that won is named first. 

Agreed?

When watching the game online, you really got the feeling of being there by barely on occasion being able to see the scoreboard. Anyone who has watched a game at NCC knows what I’m talking about. To make matters worse, no one called the game to keep us informed of the score. At the end of each quarter where St. Henry was in the lead, we could, if you listened carefully enough, hear the P.A. guy give the score at the end of each quarter where not once did he name St. Henry first when telling the score, and even at the end of the game he announced that the final score was Holy Cross 54 - St. Henry 58. 

Seriously? 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, B-Ball-fan said:

OK you’re not all getting off that easy…

Congratulations to the St. Henry Crusaders for winning back to back 9th Region All ‘A’ Championships, and good luck to them next month at EKU where they will defend their 2020 All ‘A’ Classic Title when they begin the tourney facing off with the currently undefeated Number 1 team in the 3rd Region, The Owensboro Catholic Aces. The Crusaders being the defending All ‘A’ State Champs will undoubtedly enter the tournament heavy favorites. 

Ok...a few takeaways from the Championship game:

First thing that can’t be ignored is that Holy Cross has a name that everyone needs to know, and that’s their Sr point guard Blake Robinson. Great ball handler, and the kid sure can light it up from the 3. 

If his great shooting doesn’t get your attention, you’d still not be able to miss him on the court as he stands out as the platinum blonde with the 13 on his jersey. 

He had a big game knocking down 5 3’s, and so far this season he’s proved to be dependable for at least 3 per game. 

I don’t see Robinson’s name on the roster for last season, and I’ve never seen him before, so I can’t but help to wonder where he played his Jr. season in 2020? Does anyone out there have the scoop on this?

Good news also for Holy Cross is that the much needed Brandon McClendon is back in action after having sat out the first 5 games of the season. 

Sophomore Jacob Meyer from HC is as fast as lightning, He’s picked up from where he left off last season wooing us with his talents this early in his career. Kid can get to the rim at will and everyone now knows there’s no sleeping on him as he'll blow right past you in the blink of an eye. 

Sr. Jeremiah Hicks, who last season was already a beast has matured with a muscular more leaner look. He’s a force that can’t be denied, and a major threat for the Indians. 

Rounding out the starting 5 you have the length and toughness of Jr. forward Dylan Arlinghaus. I’m anxious to see him progress as he appears to have great upside, and last but not least the Indians have a So. guard in Xavier Ward that we’ll certainly be hearing more about this season, and then next couple of years. 

Going back to EKU to defend their title, St. Henry takes with them...count ‘em….10 Seniors. I’ll say it again….10 Seniors. This is unheard of, but these kids have all grown up together and know each other's instincts like the back of their hand. It’s only fitting that they can finish up their high school basketball ball career on this high note. In a region that is all CovCath and then everyone else, they still can feel it to be a season worth being proud of. 

OK one last comment, and it’s a pet peeve of mine…

Where I come from when announcing the current score in a game, or the final results, the team in the lead, and the team that won is named first. 

Agreed?

When watching the game online, you really got the feeling of being there by barely on occasion being able to see the scoreboard. Anyone who has watched a game at NCC knows what I’m talking about. To make matters worse, no one called the game to keep us informed of the score. At the end of each quarter where St. Henry was in the lead, we could, if you listened carefully enough, hear the P.A. guy give the score at the end of each quarter where not once did he name St. Henry first when telling the score, and even at the end of the game he announced that the final score was Holy Cross 54 - St. Henry 58. 

Seriously? 

Robinson played at Grant County last year. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, B-Ball-fan said:

Seriously? 

I get that's frustrating...really, I do. That said, not every program has 1-2 guys that are willing to, experienced enough, trustworthy enough to broadcast/do PA for games.

I can also tell you the few guys that are willing to do so are, a lot of the time, either unable to do it because of the lack of funds to compensate them for their time or because - scroll over to the Highlands football coaching thread for reference - there are, now more than ever, oh so many keyboard/recliner warriors ready to annihilate/target anyone who says the wrong thing. 

The other thing is some athletic departments just don't see it as a priority. Whether it be because they just don't see the writing on the wall or because there's just not enough willing guys to do it in their communities. And, ultimately, there's just A TON of trust put into PA/broadcast guys...if those guys screw up, AD's/administrators pay the price, and the recordings never go away. 

The other thing is...if I can't find a guy(s), if I don't have the money to fund it (because it's not cheap to start up a broadcasting effort), and (ding, ding..this is a big one), my program isn't very good...why would I bother starting up something like this? 

So, while I really understand your frustration, understand doing PA or play-by-play/color commentary on high school games isn't something anyone can just show up and do. There are just a ton of variables that effect being able to pull something like this off. 

When this topic comes up, I always suggest to those around me....if you can't find a PA or broadcast guys for a program and you REALLY want to do  it, watch the stands and find the parents/supporters who aren't the ones overly concerned about their kids, who aren't attacking the coaches/program, have some knowledge, and ask them if they're interested in learning. Then point them in the direction of some of NKY's finest broadcasting teams/PA announcers and have them listen, learn, and maybe you can turn that into something.

That, OR, like some of the schools have done...put it in the hands of your sharpest kids. But...again, there's some liability/risk involved there too.

2 hours ago, BrosefStalin said:

That, OR, like some of the schools have done...put it in the hands of your sharpest kids. But...again, there's some liability/risk involved there too.

This is the best way to do it, it creates a great broadcasting opportunity at every school. Highlands, St. Henry, Cooper,  Conner, and maybe more are all using this model.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, BiggestFan said:

B-Ball fan- I agree about the announcing.  I say that every time I go to a ball game at NCC.  Team that is leading or has won is announced first.  Elementary!

Time and score.  Broadcasting 101.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BrosefStalin said:

I get that's frustrating...really, I do. That said, not every program has 1-2 guys that are willing to, experienced enough, trustworthy enough to broadcast/do PA for games.

I can also tell you the few guys that are willing to do so are, a lot of the time, either unable to do it because of the lack of funds to compensate them for their time or because - scroll over to the Highlands football coaching thread for reference - there are, now more than ever, oh so many keyboard/recliner warriors ready to annihilate/target anyone who says the wrong thing. 

The other thing is some athletic departments just don't see it as a priority. Whether it be because they just don't see the writing on the wall or because there's just not enough willing guys to do it in their communities. And, ultimately, there's just A TON of trust put into PA/broadcast guys...if those guys screw up, AD's/administrators pay the price, and the recordings never go away. 

The other thing is...if I can't find a guy(s), if I don't have the money to fund it (because it's not cheap to start up a broadcasting effort), and (ding, ding..this is a big one), my program isn't very good...why would I bother starting up something like this? 

So, while I really understand your frustration, understand doing PA or play-by-play/color commentary on high school games isn't something anyone can just show up and do. There are just a ton of variables that effect being able to pull something like this off. 

When this topic comes up, I always suggest to those around me....if you can't find a PA or broadcast guys for a program and you REALLY want to do  it, watch the stands and find the parents/supporters who aren't the ones overly concerned about their kids, who aren't attacking the coaches/program, have some knowledge, and ask them if they're interested in learning. Then point them in the direction of some of NKY's finest broadcasting teams/PA announcers and have them listen, learn, and maybe you can turn that into something.

I appreciate the time that you took to shed light on the struggles that schools have in finding enough folks who feel comfortable with the PA/Broadcasting duties et al. 

I once gave it a whirl and just froze on the air. LOL!  Imagine that, B-Ball-fan who can’t stop typing can’t find a word to say when he’s like a deer in the headlights. 

Yes indeed, it takes a special kind of person to feel comfortable behind the mic. I do like your idea that @nkucardsfan concurred in finding bright kids eager to establish, and nurture their announcing/public speaking talents. 

In truth I meant no offense with my petty little pet peeve to whoever was manning the mic for this game, and I certainly appreciate any effort that schools make in providing keyboard/recliner warriors like me the opportunity to keep up with the games, and though there’s nothing like being there; be able to enjoy them in the comforts of our homes. 

Thanks again for the insight BrosefStalin, and glad you found a good platform from which to express it. We owe a lot of thanks to those offering their time, talents, and dedication for providing us with essentially a free service to keep us sports enthusiasts pacified and entertained. It’s really nice even more so now because of the complications that COVID has surprised us with, so that parents, families etc... can take joy in staying in tune with their children's school activities.

• Like 3