What restaurant did you grow up thinking was nice but now realize it isn’t?

Kenny Powers

I would volunteer most fast food restaurants.  The food rarely looks, smells and tastes like the company commercials.  Not kept clean either.  I was a Wendy's manager back in the 70's - the menu was much smaller; we were dedicated to speed and a consistent system; and we were held accountable to keeping the restaurant clean.  In today's age, it is rare to find someone who cares behind the counter (either inside or at carryout).  I will say that Chick-fil-A is an exception to my comments (it seems the culture is much better at their restaurants).

1 hour ago, nkypete said:

I would volunteer most fast food restaurants.  The food rarely looks, smells and tastes like the company commercials.  Not kept clean either.  I was a Wendy's manager back in the 70's - the menu was much smaller; we were dedicated to speed and a consistent system; and we were held accountable to keeping the restaurant clean.  In today's age, it is rare to find someone who cares behind the counter (either inside or at carryout).  I will say that Chick-fil-A is an exception to my comments (it seems the culture is much better at their restaurants).

When I was growing up, we hardly, if ever, went out to eat.  Maybe we'd go to Bonanza, but even that was a rarity.  But, I remember the excitement my sister and I had when we went to the doctor's office...because Burger Chef was right next door.  And my mom would always bribe us with the old "if you're good..." speech.  The simple joy of getting a fast-food cheeseburger and shake was almost like Christmas.  It only came once a year, so you better enjoy it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

Olive Garden for me. Now I realize it’s just a dressed up, overpriced fazolis. 

Ain't that the truth.  My wife likes going to OG, I usually feel like I could have got better food for way less two doors down at Fazolis.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Kenny Powers said:

What do you think it was about Ponderosa that made you think it was fancy? 

It was big...lots and lots of food...and steak!   When I was little, "steak" = "high class".

Plus, we rarely went there, so it was kind of special.   When we normally "ate out", it was usually a fast food place....so the "ambiance" of a Ponderosa seemed so fancy by comparison...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

The F&N Steakhouse......And then we bought it from the Bank. Let me tell you that they use to put Plates of Leftovers up in the Drop Ceilings just to keep the "Big Boys" calm. My goodness some of the Rats we use to see in Broad daylight were unheard of.

I heard a guy one time say the Rats were so big there that they use to "Arm Wrestle at the Bar" And they were Monsters! I use to Love the F&N growing up. I always wondered why the Lights were always so Dim. Well now I know why!

On 1/5/2021 at 10:59 AM, Kenny Powers said:

What do you think it was about Ponderosa that made you think it was fancy? 

That every steak was exactly the same size and shape. 

I later realized that their steaks were poured meat process that they used templates for size and shape. Paint some grill marks on it, add a baked potato and the unlimited  tapioca pudding and it was heaven...

We never ate out much when I was growing up. I remember a hotel restaurant in Garmisch, Germany, we vacationed at when we were stationed in Munich. That I considered pretty fancy. Once back in Kentucky, though, an occasional bucket from the Colonel in Corbin was considered a night out.