Richmond 76 Kentucky 64

16thBBall Fan

One thing that is really not been mentioned is the lack of scrimmages as well.  Its going to take some time for any of the younger age teams to get it together so to speak with no scrimmages and less time together than teams in years past.  Not just Kentucky but any team that falls in this category.  

7 hours ago, John Anthony said:

Facts.

7 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

While it is way to early to overreact given the weird preseason schedule with no scrimmages, not all of these reactions are unwarranted.  I know you like to tout how Cal always has them ready to go come March.  But we're coming up on 6 years since UK has appeared in a Final Four.  Have they really been all that great in March over the last several seasons?  In the first half of his tenure at UK it was absolutely true that the early season losses meant little as UK had 4 Final Four appearances in 6 seasons.  Since then, well his March resume looks a lot like Tubby Smith's--and he got hammered for it.  

The success from 2011 to 2015 was not sustainable. Yet even since those years, in 2017 and 2019 Cal did have them playing great come March. 2017 lost in elite 8 on literally the last shot of the game to the team who won it all that year. 2019 lost in overtime in elite 8, to a team they had already beaten twice that year. Which in sports history, I think we all have seen how hard it is to beat a team 3 times in same season. So it is silly for you two to act like these teams have been just getting knocked out in first round or something. Then even this last season, they were once again playing their best and was considered one of the most dangerous teams entering the tournament. Sadly we didn’t get to have a tournament to see it play out. 

As I said the success from 2011 to 2015 was amazing, but simply not sustainable. The NCAA tournament is one of the hardest things to win, one off day and your out. Just look at Duke and coach K who is the best coach of all time. They haven’t been to a final four since 2015 either. Yet they have gotten the studs that JA says he wanted UK to have, and even Coach K has failed to make it to another final four. Shoot he had the most dominant college player in years in Williamson and failed to make the final four. Like it or not, it is just very hard to win this thing.
Which is what makes the 2011 to 2015 runs so special. 

Also as for Tubby, I was a Tubby supporter on here. However, why Tubby got bashed for only elite 8s. Was because many didn’t want to give him credit for the 98 title. So they never viewed him as getting it done with his own guys. Cal has gotten it done with a title and multiple final fours. 

Ok I think that covers it and most of the responses we usually see each season from a few of you all.  So since usually will see more post like these early in the seasons like we do every year. I may just copy and paste this one each time. Since it is little rinse and repeat with some of you all at the beginning of each season. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

The success from 2011 to 2015 was not sustainable. Yet even since those years, in 2017 and 2019 Cal did have them playing great come March. 2017 lost in elite 8 on literally the last shot of the game to the team who won it all that year. 2019 lost in overtime in elite 8, to a team they had already beaten twice that year. Which in sports history, I think we all have seen how hard it is to beat a team 3 times in same season. So it is silly for you two to act like these teams have been just getting knocked out in first round or something. Then even this last season, they were once again playing their best and was considered one of the most dangerous teams entering the tournament. Sadly we didn’t get to have a tournament to see it play out. 

As I said the success from 2011 to 2015 was amazing, but simply not sustainable. The NCAA tournament is one of the hardest things to win, one off day and your out. Just look at Duke and coach K who is the best coach of all time. They haven’t been to a final four since 2015 either. Yet they have gotten the studs that JA says he wanted UK to have, and even Coach K has failed to make it to another final four. Shoot he had the most dominant college player in years in Williamson and failed to make the final four. Like it or not, it is just very hard to win this thing.

Also as for Tubby, I was a Tubby supporter on here. However, why Tubby got bashed for only elite 8s. Was because many didn’t want to give him credit for the 98 title. So they never viewed him as getting it done with his own guys. Cal has gotten it done with a title and multiple final fours. 

Ok I think that covers it and most of the responses we usually see each season from a few of you all.  So since usually will see more post like these early in the seasons like we do every year. I may just copy and paste this one each time. Since it is little rinse and repeat with some of you all at the beginning of each season. 

There's also a 2nd round loss and a Sweet 16 loss in there.  So, since going to the Final Four in 2015 he's 9-4 in his last 4 NCAA appearances.  That's good, not great.  He's been great in the SEC tournament--so if you want to count that then I guess he's got them playing great in March.  

• Like 1

Not shocking they lost in the least. A team full of vets selected to win the A10 against a team - without a super-elite talent - that has not played a single minute other than against Morehead State, yeah, it will be a battle to win.

I like the potential of this team defensively. I am not seeing much potential with the PG play which is troubling.

Take the smack across the face, learn from it and play better on Tuesday night.

I was working, while watching the game.  Was going to rewatch it, but decided not to.  Did Donatae Allen not see the floor much?  Seemed like Mintz didn't either.  I feel like as Cal figures out his lineup and the season continues, these two will have to see the floor more, especially if the shooting woes continue from yesterday.

And 21 turnovers.  I don't care who you are playing, that is unacceptable.

7 hours ago, futurecoach said:

No superstar to bail us out like John Wall did vs. Miami of Ohio in his debut game, early in the season at Rupp.  

‘Tis the season to debate!  After he retires some of us will be wrong and some of us will be right.  Time will tell, I hope I’m wrong on this one and he cuts down another net.

7 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

There's also a 2nd round loss and a Sweet 16 loss in there.  So, since going to the Final Four in 2015 he's 9-4 in his last 4 NCAA appearances.  That's good, not great.  He's been great in the SEC tournament--so if you want to count that then I guess he's got them playing great in March.  

You have a few Cal people who will always give him credit for time served.  Its essentially like paying Joey Votto 20 mill for what he did in 2010-15 and still believing he’s elite.  Cal is still really good but the back 9, has looked different than the front 9.

I'm of the belief that this will be a difficult team to beat if we get a tournament this year, however, yesterday was the first time I've walked away from a UK game before its conclusion in years. That was tough to watch. 

21 turnovers makes my head hurt. 0% from 3 when this is supposed to be one of Cal's best shooting teams in Lexington? Like I said, they will probably be fine, but man did this one hurt. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SnottieDrippen said:

I'm of the belief that this will be a difficult team to beat if we get a tournament this year, however, yesterday was the first time I've walked away from a UK game before its conclusion in years. That was tough to watch. 

You've had a really good team the past decade. I've done that a lot. 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 minutes ago, SnottieDrippen said:

First, I only wish it was MY team. I'm just a fan. More importantly, I was prepared to get a tattoo of Boogie giving Swopshire the forearm shimmy if UK won the title that year. 

No you weren't, but that's still funny.