Richmond 76 Kentucky 64

16thBBall Fan

58 minutes ago, theguru said:

Where would you guys rank UK right now?

With the way that do many highly regarded teams have went down or had "struggle wins" so far, I wouldn't ding them too bad.  I'd put them somewhere in the mid teens, say #16 just for the heck of it without doing any real research.   I still like the looks of this team if they'll buy in and play together on offense.   It didn't seem like an effort problem yesterday-- although I was getting ready for work and only got to watch a little bit.   But they seemed to be playing hard,  just not effectively.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Carl Spackler said:

There's also a 2nd round loss and a Sweet 16 loss in there.  So, since going to the Final Four in 2015 he's 9-4 in his last 4 NCAA appearances.  That's good, not great.  He's been great in the SEC tournament--so if you want to count that then I guess he's got them playing great in March.  

Once again their success form 2011 to 2015 was not sustainable. Shoot as mentioned Coach K who is the best coach of all time, also hasn’t made a final four since 2015. It simply is a dang hard tournament to win. 

Jay Wright has won two titles, yet if he was the coach at UK during the same time period. He would have never gotten the chance to win those titles, because fans would have wanted him gone with all his early tournament exits before winning it.  

Tom Izzo considered one of the best coaches in college basketball, hasn’t won a title in 21 years. There is literally only one coach in college basketball, who maybe had the success UK fans want and that is Coach K. Yet as mentioned even Coach K hasn’t made a final four since 2015. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John Anthony said:

No superstar to bail us out like John Wall did vs. Miami of Ohio in his debut game, early in the season at Rupp.  

‘Tis the season to debate!  After he retires some of us will be wrong and some of us will be right.  Time will tell, I hope I’m wrong on this one and he cuts down another net.

It’s funny how you mention John Wall and superstar. Yet John Wall didn’t even get UK as close to winning in elite 8, as the 2017 and 2019 teams you love to dismiss. 

31 minutes ago, futurecoach said:

Once again their success form 2011 to 2015 was not sustainable. Shoot as mentioned Coach K who is the best coach of all time, also hasn’t made a final four since 2015. It simply is a dang hard tournament to win. 

Jay Wright has won two titles, yet if he was the coach at UK during the same time period. He would have never gotten the chance to win those titles, because fans would have wanted him gone with all his early tournament exits before winning it.  

Tom Izzo considered one of the best coaches in college basketball, hasn’t won a title in 21 years. There is literally only one coach in college basketball, who maybe had the success UK fans want and that is Coach K. Yet as mentioned even Coach K hasn’t made a final four since 2015. 

And my point is valid.  You can't dismiss concern as,  "rinse, wash, repeat,"  and say that he always has them playing great in March.  They've been good,  not elite,  in March, over the last 5 years.   You keep bringing up Coach K.  He too,  has underachieved, given the talent at his disposal.   Cal was a rock star from 2009-2015.  He's been very good,  not great,  since.   There's not another coach that I'd rather have but, given the amount of NBA talent that has passed through Lexington,  he's not done as well in March as you like to portray.  Maybe this year reverses that trend.  They've got the potential. 

17 minutes ago, Carl Spackler said:

And my point is valid.  You can't dismiss concern as,  "rinse, wash, repeat,"  and say that he always has them playing great in March.  They've been good,  not elite,  in March, over the last 5 years.   You keep bringing up Coach K.  He too,  has underachieved, given the talent at his disposal.   Cal was a rock star from 2009-2015.  He's been very good,  not great,  since.   There's not another coach that I'd rather have but, given the amount of NBA talent that has passed through Lexington,  he's not done as well in March as you like to portray.  Maybe this year reverses that trend.  They've got the potential. 

Considering how hard it is to win in March, and how we see so many teams lose the first weekend. He even in these past five years, still had two teams literally one shot away from a final four. Then last year the tournament didn’t happen. So yeah him having his teams playing their best in March is very true. In a one and our tournament though, all it takes is one other team having one better day. Which is exactly what happened in 2011 and 2014. We beat teams that in a seven game series would have beat us, because they were better teams. Yet doe that one day we were better. That simply is the NCAA tournament, it is hard as heck to win in it. Which we have gotten to experience the highs and lows from it. With more highs than basically any fan base has had in the tournament since Cal has been here. 

• Like 1

I keep hearing the phrase “playing their best in March”. I always thought that was job number one for a basketball coach, yet we’re acting like it’s some superhuman accomplishment.  Show me a coach that regresses throughout the year and I’ll show you a coach standing in the bread line.  

2 hours ago, futurecoach said:

It’s funny how you mention John Wall and superstar. Yet John Wall didn’t even get UK as close to winning in elite 8, as the 2017 and 2019 teams you love to dismiss. 

Correct the only title came from AD, the best player in school history.  Didn’t get one with Wall, Randle, Camby, Rose.  Multiple times he’s had the best team and not won.  In any other sport, or heck even in CBB that’s on the coach.  Kevin Ollie made a fortune of his mishaps, only to fold a few years later.

Realistically, who would those of you complaining want to hire ?

Maybe we could throw 15 million a year at Steve Kerr ? Hell, while we’re at it, let bring in Popovich as an assistant and maybe LeBron as our lead recruiter...

March is a crapshoot. Plain and simple. The best team doesn’t always win a single elimination tournament.

Cal has had us in the conversation more often than not. That’s better than what 99% of other schools can claim.

I’ll take it...

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

Correct the only title came from AD, the best player in school history.  Didn’t get one with Wall, Randle, Camby, Rose.  Multiple times he’s had the best team and not won.  In any other sport, or heck even in CBB that’s on the coach.  Kevin Ollie made a fortune of his mishaps, only to fold a few years later.

There is three years he had the best team. 2010, 2012, and 2015. Which especially 2015 they should have won, no argument there. With that said the best team doesn’t always win it. If so Coach K would have double digit titles by now, with how many times he has had the best team. 

If this was the NBA and their post season played a series, instead of a one and our tournament. Then no doubt, only having one title with some of the teams he has had would suck.