Lexington Christian Academy 28 Somerset 21

Jumper_Dad

From what I was able to watch it seemed like the quality of the schedules played before last night's matchup had a pretty big impact on the game.  Somerset hadn't been pushed into the 2nd half all season while LCA was much more ready for the speed and physicality of a close matchup due to having played DeSales, Frederick Douglass and Lexington Catholic.  There's not a whole lot that Somerset could have done about that due to Covid-19 taking away the Beechwood game as well as Hazard being a mess this season after losing Dixon.  Whitley County was also coming off of a good season but had a bunch of new starters and just now seem to be coming on.  It seemed like the speed and physicality of LCA was a shock to Somerset's system and they got caught off balance.  LCA took advantage and jumped out to a 14-0 lead.  Once Somerset adjusted to the speed of the game they played pretty well in coming back to take a lead but, to LCA's credit, they finished with a flurry.  Being more battle tested at this point might have had a lot to do with that.  On the field I think the game was won and lost up front.  LCA was simply better on the offensive and defensive lines.  Nieves, for the most part, had plenty of time to throw and find his receivers.  Sheron, however, was under heavy pressure most of the night.  The Jumpers were able to run the ball with some success but when they got behind the chains they had a tough time throwing the ball like they usually do.  Part of that came from Grundy and Gilmore being dinged up as well.  

LCA was better last night, but I didn't see anything that leads me to believe that the rematch won't be anything but another dogfight, and that the winner will be the favorite to bring home the big trophy.  

• Like 2