Who Can Be Surprised by the Browns Start?

Some national sports media experts are talking like Cleveland's start against the Ravens was unexpected.  They thought Baker Mayfield would be much improved and show it by hitting Odell Beckham for 100+ yards and a couple of scores.  The fact that didn't happen means this is the same old Mayfield, same old Browns, and there will be no improvement this season.  Some have recommended trading Beckham since he and Mayfield can't get on the same page and there are rumors that the Browns are shopping him.  

Actually, I wish it were the same old Mayfield... from the last 8 games of his rookie season.  Remember him?  Hugh Jackson was fired half way through his rookie season, then Mayfield went on to win 5 of the last 8 games and came within one completed pass of beating the Ravens in the season finale.  He also set a rookie QB record of 27 TDs, besting Peyton Manning and Russell Wilson.  He had over 3,700 passing yards in only 13 starts for 6th place all-time for rookies, all of which had 3 more starts than he did.  I'll take that "same old same old."  

Hopefully, last season was an anomaly due to a poor coaching staff.  HC Kitchens is gone and GM John Dorsey got his walking papers too.  We have a brand new coaching staff with a rookie Head Coach.  This is the real reason the Browns looked unprepared and overwhelmed in Game 1.  They were.  While every team faced the same circumstances imposed by the Corona virus pandemic, it is harder on a young team with a brand new coaching staff.  The coaching staff has not had time to learn their personnel and the players have not had time to learn what the coaching staff is teaching.  The pandemic imposed limited practices and ZERO preseason games!  This team was behind the eight-ball because of a new staff and a new system and they have not been allowed to catch up (due to the circumstances).  At least the Bengals are in year two with their coaching staff.  

So, I expect the beginning of the season to look bad for the Browns.  How could it be any other way?  But I believe they will improve over the season and by mid way, or certainly towards the end, we will begin to see what a Stefanski-led offense can do.  The defense, that's another story.  Major injuries depleted the linebacking core in the off-season.  Their talented rookie safety, Grant Delpit, tore his Achilles tendon in August and is out for the season.  They desperately need the D-line to get it together quickly and start putting the pressure on.  

It's not the same old Browns, at least, it's too early to tell if it is.  They have not had time to gel as a team yet to be able to judge how good or how bad they are going to be.  I am going to wait and see, and I'll give Mayfield the benefit of the doubt for a time.