Will Covington Independent Schools opt out of Fall Sports?

But Cline and Wilhoite represent different schools.  Cline is the rep for all diocese of Covington schools while Wilhoite has all the public (and possibly independent schools). 

We know where the diocese of Covington stands as they started in-school this week, and from what I hear, some of their schools packing in 30 kids to a classroom.  They're eager to start high school sports, but I find it odd that they were so quick to cancel elementary school sports.

The public school districts, and my guess is that is who Garrison talked to also, don't want to start until school is in.  That was pretty well known prior to the meeting.

33 minutes ago, nees1212 said:

But Cline and Wilhoite represent different schools.  Cline is the rep for all diocese of Covington schools while Wilhoite has all the public (and possibly independent schools). 

We know where the diocese of Covington stands as they started in-school this week, and from what I hear, some of their schools packing in 30 kids to a classroom.  They're eager to start high school sports, but I find it odd that they were so quick to cancel elementary school sports.

The public school districts, and my guess is that is who Garrison talked to also, don't want to start until school is in.  That was pretty well known prior to the meeting.

Mike Clines stated in yesterday's meeting that he represents 22 high schools (it's at the 32:48 mark in the YouTube if you want to reference his whole statement). There are only 9 high schools in the Diocese of Covington - so Clines definitely represents more schools than just those in the Diocese of Covington, which he is the superintendent of.

19 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Mike Clines stated in yesterday's meeting that he represents 22 high schools (it's at the 32:48 mark in the YouTube if you want to reference his whole statement). There are only 9 high schools in the Diocese of Covington - so Clines definitely represents more schools than just those in the Diocese of Covington, which he is the superintendent of.

I wish they listed out the school each member represented.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, nees1212 said:

I started looking at the KHSAA's constitution to see if I could educate myself a little better on the Board of Control (which I should have done years ago).

Article V, § 2(b)(4) establishes that there is to be one representative elected by the non-public schools in the schools from regions 1-8 (as defined by the KHSAA alignment in basketball) to be their representative to the Board of Control, and then one representative elected by the non-public schools from regions 9-16 to be their representative.

So Mark Evans from Mercy Academy is the non-public representative for regions 1-8, and Mike Clines from the Diocese of Covington is the non-public representative for regions 9-16.

Article V, § 2(b)(1) establishes that there is to be one African-American representative elected by the non-public schools in the schools from regions 1-8 (as defined by the KHSAA alignment in basketball) to be their representative to the Board of Control, and then one African-American representative elected by the non-public schools from regions 9-16 to be their representative.

So at the end of the month Covington Independent Schools' Alvin Garrison (who is currently an advisory member) will be replacing Bonnie Barnes from Henry Clay as the African-American representative from regions 9-16, and Marlon Miller from MLK Elementary in Louisville is currently the the African-American representative from regions 1-8.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, nees1212 said:

Mike Clines:
Calvary Christian
Covington Catholic
Covington Latin
Danville Christian
Frankfort Christian
Heritage Academy
Holy Cross (Covington)
Holy Family
June Buchanan
Lexington Catholic
Lexington Christian Academy
Newport Central Catholic
Notre Dame Academy
Oneida Baptist Institute
Piarist School
Red Bird Christian Mission
Riverside Christian
Rose Hill Christian
Sayre
St. Henry
St. Patrick
Villa Madonna

Matt Wilhoite
Augusta
Beechwood
Bellevue
Boone County
Bourbon County
Bracken County
Campbell County
Conner
Cooper
Dayton
Dixie Heights
George Rogers Clark
Harrison County
Highlands
Lloyd Memorial
Ludlow
Mason County
Montgomery County
Nicholas County
Paris
Pendleton County
Robertson County
Ryle
Scott

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

A big question arising from this discussion...if schools choose to electively sit out of fall sports, will there be families who try to turn elsewhere for their children playing fall sports? And how will the KHSAA respond to that in terms of eligibility to play?

You can guarantee that any sport that is offered at the “club” level will be played by those kids who can’t play for their schools. KHSAA needs to do whatever they need to do so that these situations don’t affect eligibility. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Mike Clines:
Calvary Christian
Covington Catholic
Covington Latin
Danville Christian
Frankfort Christian
Heritage Academy
Holy Cross (Covington)
Holy Family
June Buchanan
Lexington Catholic
Lexington Christian Academy
Newport Central Catholic
Notre Dame Academy
Oneida Baptist Institute
Piarist School
Red Bird Christian Mission
Riverside Christian
Rose Hill Christian
Sayre
St. Henry
St. Patrick
Villa Madonna

Matt Wilhoite
Augusta
Beechwood
Bellevue
Boone County
Bourbon County
Bracken County
Campbell County
Conner
Cooper
Dayton
Dixie Heights
George Rogers Clark
Harrison County
Highlands
Lloyd Memorial
Ludlow
Mason County
Montgomery County
Nicholas County
Paris
Pendleton County
Robertson County
Ryle
Scott

Thanks!!!  (and you have too much time on your hands today.....lol)

So based on this, I assume Cline spoke to nearly all the private schools who want to return to competition, which most have returned to school.  Wilhoite has spoken with the public schools, for which most have delayed in-person schooling, and don't want to start competitions until school is in.  Garrison probably spoke to the ones Wilhoite spoke to.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2020 at 3:41 PM, nees1212 said:

Kenton County School District just sent out a release that they're going with the KHSAA recommendation for right now.

I hope Covington Independent (and all the others) follow suit.

Looks like the Holmes Football team has released their updated schedule for 2020. Let's hope it gets played.