Risk for storms this afternoon (5/18/2020) Upgraded

nWo

Scattered to numerous storms are likely to form within the lengthy surface trough during the day, with scattered storms, a few severe, expected. A favored area for a brief tornado will be across sections of Kentucky mainly east of I-65 and southern Ohio. The Storm Prediction Center has issued a category 1 Marginal Risk Area for those areas. I'm also issuing a Level 1 BGP Tornado Threat Index.

KY_swody1.png

Scattered showers and storms should break out around mid to late afternoon. As of this morning, the main time slot for the possible severe weather is from 4-9 pm EDT. The following HRRR radar shows this.

floop-hrrr-2020051800.refcmp.us_ov.gif

I will watch this throughout the day and will post an update later.

Scattered north/northeastward moving storms are ongoing at this time ahead of the front, although some cloud breaks precede this activity. Conditions later this afternoon could support the possibilities of low topped supercells and bowing segments. A couple of tornadoes could occur aside from locally damaging winds.

The Storm Prediction Center has upgraded the severe risk category for sections of Kentucky to a category 2 Slight Risk Area. This area is indicated by the map.

KY_swody1.png

I will be posting another update soon.