Best Basketball Conference?

Log Mountain Boy

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

MVC....Southern Illinois, Missouri State, Creighton, and Wichita State are teams that no major conference team wants to play.

ACC....Boston College, Duke, Clemson, UNC, Maryland, and Georgia Tech are all talented teams with Virginia not far behind. I wouldn't put much stock in NCST yet, they have 5 scholarship players and you can't be successful with that.

SEC....Florida, LSU, Alabama, Tennessee, UK, and Arkansas are all pretty good.....Mississippi State lost to Clemson, so that settles that.

WAC/MWC....The most underrated conferences this year. These guys are going to suprise a lot of people come tourney time.....Air Force, New Mexico, New Mexico State(I know they're struggling right now, but they'll be fine), San Diego State, and Nevada are all NCAA tourney teams.

Basically it's anybody's guess at this point....But my earlier vote goes to the MVC.

I stand corrected on that one then. I still think Miss St can be a good team. And I want to maintain based on my personal experience Stansbury is a better coach IMO.

ACC it always is the toughest. The Big East is overrated and so is the Big Ten. ACC as of right now.

Didn't the ACC only get 4 teams in the tournament last year? It would be hard to argue that the SEC wasn't better last year than the ACC.

I agree it's hard to tell this year, but I think all the power conferences have very good teams and some mediocre ones. I would go w/ the SEC right now b/c Florida is very good and there are some other potential final 4 teams.

Didn't the ACC only get 4 teams in the tournament last year? It would be hard to argue that the SEC wasn't better last year than the ACC.

I agree it's hard to tell this year, but I think all the power conferences have very good teams and some mediocre ones. I would go w/ the SEC right now b/c Florida is very good and there are some other potential final 4 teams.

Most years the SEC can make no argument when compared to the ACC. Last year the ACC can make no argument when compared to the SEC. No ACC team made it farther than the Sweet 16.

And both were well below the BEast...

hmmm that is interesting...Because in the years previous to last year when people would say the SEC is one of the best, but then didn't have a good showing in the NCAA tournament they would say the SEC was not as good as people say since other conferences did better in the tournament. But last year the SEC does better than any other conference in the tournament, but you say the Beast was still better...:sssh: :confused:

hmmm that is interesting...Because in the years previous to last year when people would say the SEC is one of the best, but then didn't have a good showing in the NCAA tournament they would say the SEC was not as good as people say since other conferences did better in the tournament. But last year the SEC does better than any other conference in the tournament, but you say the Beast was still better...:sssh: :confused:

When comparing the whole season, top to bottom, you know your argument holds no water. The SEC was #2 in my book last year, and had a great tournament run. Good for them. Then they had a lot return unlike years past, and sit near the top again. The BEast had a lot leave, and now they are in reloading mode. It's all a cycle. But you know as well as I do who was the best conference last year. It wasn't even close...

When comparing the whole season, top to bottom, you know your argument holds no water. The SEC was #2 in my book last year, and had a great tournament run. Good for them. Then they had a lot return unlike years past, and sit near the top again. The BEast had a lot leave, and now they are in reloading mode. It's all a cycle. But you know as well as I do who was the best conference last year. It wasn't even close...

They were the deepest conference, but how can you not be when you have what, 16 teams? The SEC's top 5 teams last year was the better than anyone else's top 5. The fact that the SEC won a National Championship, sent 2 teams to the Final 4, sent 5 teams to the Final 32 is a pretty good argument holding water.

But like I said, every year with as big as the conference is, it will be hard to argue with the Big East as far as being the deepest conference.

Well during the year, yeah I thought the beast was the best. But after seeing the tournament that changed my opinion. You had the SEC teams do better in the NCAA tournament, and then even one our teams that didn't make the tournament, went on to beat two teams from the beast in UC and UL. Not to mention you had syracuse who ran through the beast tournament only to get knocked out early. UCONN and Nova held up to their part somewhat, until UCONN lost to a George Mason team, that Florida went on to beat. While Florida also knocked off Nova on their way, and I could be wrong but they might have knocked off another beast team on their way. Also as for UCONN the supposive best team in the beast had all they could handle with a 16th seed, and then barely got by a UK team.

I mean its kind of like the argument with the SEC in football this year. I mean the SEC just like the Beast in bball last year looks like the best conference probably. But if they end up not producing results in the bowl games, then I would change my opinion on them as well...

Well during the year, yeah I thought the beast was the best. But after seeing the tournament that changed my opinion. You had the SEC teams do better in the NCAA tournament, and then even one our teams that didn't make the tournament, went on to beat two teams from the beast in UC and UL. Not to mention you had syracuse who ran through the beast tournament only to get knocked out early. UCONN and Nova held up to their part somewhat, until UCONN lost to a George Mason team, that Florida went on to beat. While Florida also knocked off Nova on their way, and I could be wrong but they might have knocked off another beast team on their way. Also as for UCONN the supposive best team in the beast had all they could handle with a 16th seed, and then barely got by a UK team.

I mean its kind of like the argument with the SEC in football this year. I mean the SEC just like the Beast in bball last year looks like the best conference probably. But if they end up not producing results in the bowl games, then I would change my opinion on them as well...

As I said. I'm talking the whole body of work. If you base it on the last month, we will always disagree on this argument...

As I said. I'm talking the whole body of work. If you base it on the last month, we will always disagree on this argument...

Honestly I think alot of it just has to do with the preseason hype with it. Before the year the beast got all the hype and had the teams ranked, while no one thought anything of the SEC because all the supposive top players left early for the NBA. I mean just look at Florida the best team in the country wasn't even ranked, because no one though much of them or really any team in the SEC before the year. If people knew they would have been like that they would have got all the hype all year during the season just like the beast. But since the SEC didn't have much hype going into the year, nobody even looked at them, even though they did the same thing as the Beast and that was beat up on each other during the season so none of them really could move up in the ranking that much. While when the Beast beat up on each they all really stayed in the rankings because alot of the teams were more hyped so they got to stay ranked and look like the better teams because they lost to other ranked teams that had the hype. While the SEC apparently from what we saw in the tournament had the better teams, but they really didn't get ranked that high because they didnt have the hype before the year like the beast...If they got the hype before the year like the beast, I think could make a strong argument for the SEC for the whole body of work during last year...

Honestly I think alot of it just has to do with the preseason hype with it. Before the year the beast got all the hype and had the teams ranked, while no one thought anything of the SEC because all the supposive top players left early for the NBA. I mean just look at Florida the best team in the country wasn't even ranked, because no one though much of them or really any team in the SEC before the year. If people knew they would have been like that they would have got all the hype all year during the season just like the beast. But since the SEC didn't have much hype going into the year, nobody even looked at them, even though they did the same thing as the Beast and that was beat up on each other during the season so none of them really could move up in the ranking that much. While when the Beast beat up on each they all really stayed in the rankings because alot of the teams were more hyped so they got to stay ranked and look like the better teams because they lost to other ranked teams that had the hype. While the SEC apparently from what we saw in the tournament had the better teams, but they really didn't get ranked that high because they didnt have the hype before the year like the beast...If they got the hype before the year like the beast, I think could make a strong argument for the SEC for the whole body of work during last year...

You are barking up the wrong tree here. Remember, I was the first to hype Florida last year. Add to that that LSU lost to UC early. On a national level, you have an argument. With me, I gave the SEC mad props from day 1 last year. They earned the #2 conference, and parlayed that into a legit option at #1 this year. Like I said. Good for the SEC...