Reds at Braves (8/1 - 8/4)

Having never heard of this, I went back to look up the details about it. I don't think this applies. Garber entered the game to start the seventh inning and the Braves up only 8-4. That's a losable lead, especailly against a team that was 13 games better than them at that point. The Braves had scored five runs to take the lead in the 5th, and scored eight runs in the bottom of the 7th and 8th, so clearly, runs could be had. If he had come in fresh for the top of the 9th with a 12 run lead, or even worse, just to face Rose, then I think you'd have a gripe.

I watched the video of it for the first time today. Pete bunted at the first pitch of the at-bat, a belt-high pitch on the inside corner. I agree, the other four pitches were balls, though strike two (pitch four) would have been close to a knee-high strike if he took it, and strike three (pitch five) was actually a phenomenal pitch that tailed away. It was a ball, but it was a pitch that looked like it might be a strike. A very good strikeout pitch. A pitcher isn't under an obligation to throw it straight down the pipe and dare him to beat him. He gave him one great pitch to hit, another decent, two unhittable, and fooled him to strike him out.

I understand we all develop hatred of certain teams and tend to hold onto it even if its no longer true - I do the same - but I did find it interesting that most of the reasons noted in this thread aren't even in the last 15 years or so. At least I could get behind it if you all were talking about Brian McCann and the fun police days....

41 years ago yesterday...

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reds add two more to make it 5-0. I have watched baseball nearly 50 years and just saw something I have never seen before. Braves appeal at third that Farmer left early with Winker on first. They threw to third and Farmer was safe but Winker had a brain lock and ran to second and was out by ten feet. The base running on this team is mind boggling. Took the bat right out of Suarez hands.

I defend this team in a lot, but I will never understand their baserunning, and they just keep coming up with new ways to look awful at it.

That was impressive.

I totally agree but I am not sure the Reds did not tell him to run by the way they talking to him after the inning. They must have thought Farmer left early.