Who is the NFL Rookie of the Year?

Who Is Your Pick for Rookie of the Year?  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Who Is Your Pick for Rookie of the Year?

• Baker Mayfield QB Cleveland Browns
    • Saquon Barkley RB New York Giants
    • Lamar Jackson QB Baltimore Ravens
    • Other (Name Him)

The NFL will name its Rookie of the Year on February 2. Name yours now and give us your reasons. Here are some of my thoughts:

Baker Mayfield surpassed the rookie record for TDs in a season previously shared by Peyton Manning and Russell Wilson. Each had 26 TDs in 16 games. Mayfield had 27 TDs in 14 games and 14 INTs. In addition, he threw for 3,725 yards and a 63.8 Comp %. His overall passer rating was 93.7 He is the main reason that the Browns have turned from being watched to see if they will win a game to seeing if they may reach the playoffs in 2019. The Browns were 6-7 with Mayfield as the QB but 5-2 after the firing of Hue Jackson. Jackson’s record over the previous two seasons was 1-31. Mayfield brings a competitive fire to the game that makes him a leader of men. His ability to extend plays with his mobility, elite accuracy, and football acumen make him the closest thing to a franchise QB that Cleveland has seen since Bernie Kosar. Given his role as the most important player on his team and the impact he had on his team in 2018, my vote for Rookie of the Year goes to Baker Mayfield. He changed the direction of Cleveland’s franchise.

Saquon Barkley is another deserving player. All he did this season was lead all players in yards from scrimmage with 2,028, just ahead of Zeke Elliot. He did this while playing for a 5-11 team with one of the worst graded offensive lines in the league (according to Pro Football Focus). He is such a talented player. He was second in rushing yards out of all RBs in the NFL, just behind Zeke Elliot. But his impact on his team was far less than Baker Mayfield’s impact for his team. And Pro Football Focus graded him as the 2nd best rookie RB this season, behind Cleveland’s Nick Chubb. For this reason, I would not vote for him as Rookie of the Year.

Baltimore QB Lamar Jackson has a lot of talent and when given an opportunity, led his team to 1st place in the AFC North and to the playoffs, losing in the AFC Wildcard game to the LA Chargers. After a 4-5 start, Baltimore ripped off a 6-1 record with Jackson as the starter. This is impressive, but his overall stats are not. He had a 58.2 Comp %, 1,201 yards, 6 TDs, and 3 INTs. His passer rating was 84.5, compared to Mayfield’s 93.7. Pro Football Focus also does an overall QB rating. Jackson was rated at 57.0 while Mayfield was rated at 84.5. There is much to praise in Jackson and he may have a bright future, but he was not this year’s Rookie of the Year.

Those are my thoughts. Tell us your choice and give us your reasons.

It's only part of my argument. I get your point, but yeah, I think it is fair. This is a team sport so if a player elevates everyone around him like Mayfield did, it counts in his favor.

I would not feel like Mayfield was robbed, if Barkley gets it. A strong case can be made for him.

BTW, the Pro Football Writers of America already named Mayfield their ROTY.

It'll absolutely be Barkley or Baker, but it probably should be Darius Leonard from the Colts or Derwin James from the Chargers.

James was named to the All-Pro team in his rookie season.

UKMF mentions a couple of really good defensive choices for the award. That's quite an accomplishment by James, a safety for the Chargers. LB Darius Leonard is the only defensive player among the 5 finalists announced by the NFL. There are 3 RBs led by Barkley. He is joined by Nick Chubb of Cleveland, and Phillip Lindsay of the Denver Broncos. Mayfield is the only QB among the 5 finalists.