Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

BluegrassPreps.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Intentional Pass interference

Featured Replies

For the most part I’ve enjoyed the Belfry/Boyle pass interference video discussion. On that note I wanted to discuss a little known and almost never called rule about intentional pass interference. Per the rules in Kentucky if an official seems the act of the offender to be intentional pass interference the rules allow for an additional 15 yards to be tacked on making the penalty a 30 yard penalty. Just curious about people’s thoughts on this and if anyone has actually seen it called.

I've never seen it called, or for that matter ever heard of it.

  • Author
I've never seen it called, or for that matter ever heard of it.

 

I think most people coaches included don’t know about it, which certainly add to a hesitation to call it but it’s there under the penalties for rule 7 and in the chart on pass interference at the end of rule 7.

  • Author
AC8C7D8B-C6E2-432E-92CA-8DD28C6CB57E.png
  • Author

[ATTACH=CONFIG]67531[/ATTACH]

  • Author

Art. 10 explanation in the first photo is where you find it in the rules.

That’s a rule in all Fed states right?

 

I don’t know if I knew that was a rule or if I just thought it fell into a different category. I believe there is a rule that allows the official to enforce a 15 yard penalty due to a team intentionally abusing the rules. I know that isn’t exactly how the rule works.

 

Now I’ve never seen that penalty called and I’d be surprised to ever see it called. It would have to be a pretty bad to get the call.

 

There use to be (might still be) a kind of loophole with false start too. For example you are ahead and want to run out the clock. If you false start the penalty is marked off and a new 25 second game clock. The clock starts on the ready for play whistle. So there have been teams that have used that loophole to eat more clock. I do believe the official has the option to not start the clock on the ready to play whistle and/or to penalize the team.

  • Author
That’s a rule in all Fed states right?

 

I don’t know if I knew that was a rule or if I just thought it fell into a different category. I believe there is a rule that allows the official to enforce a 15 yard penalty due to a team intentionally abusing the rules. I know that isn’t exactly how the rule works.

 

Now I’ve never seen that penalty called and I’d be surprised to ever see it called. It would have to be a pretty bad to get the call.

 

There use to be (might still be) a kind of loophole with false start too. For example you are ahead and want to run out the clock. If you false start the penalty is marked off and a new 25 second game clock. The clock starts on the ready for play whistle. So there have been teams that have used that loophole to eat more clock. I do believe the official has the option to not start the clock on the ready to play whistle and/or to penalize the team.

 

In the final minutes the offended team can choose if clock starts or stops after false start/encroachment.

That is a recent change right? Was that just added this past year?

Yeah, I'd be surprised if most coaches or even refs know this rule. Most coaches even teach their defense to make an outright tackle if they are completely beaten to ensure they don't get the TD.

  • Author
That is a recent change right? Was that just added this past year?

 

It’s newer, but wasn’t this year, I don’t remember what year they added that in.

  • Author
Yeah, I'd be surprised if most coaches or even refs know this rule. Most coaches even teach their defense to make an outright tackle if they are completely beaten to ensure they don't get the TD.

 

Ya I didn’t know it until earlier in the year watching a training DVD where it was called. I’ve never been brace enough to call it, but have seen plenty of times where someone is beat and like you said just tackles them to avoid giving up the TD.

There are also a number of times that grab or tackle happens before the ball is thrown. You know you’re beat and commit a penalty as you see the the QB going into his throwing motion. Odds are you’ll get called for DPI instead of holding.

 

A newer clarification is a rec considered defenseless.

 

A receiver attempting to catch a pass who has not had time to clearly become a runner

 

Now I’ve never seen it called and I’ve never been able to get any real answer from a crew as far as what that means.

In the final 2 minutes of each half the offended team has the option of starting the clock on the snap on fouls when the clock would normally start on the ready. This prevents the team that fouls from gaining an advantage by committing a foul.

In the final 2 minutes of each half the offended team has the option of starting the clock on the snap on fouls when the clock would normally start on the ready. This prevents the team that fouls from gaining an advantage by committing a foul.

Correct but that is a more recent rule change. Until recently that was not the case. I’ve also had officials not ask how we wanted to handle situations.

Recently Browsing 0

  • No registered users viewing this page.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.